Sugestions for a wifi router/ap make and model that works flawlessly with 950xl - Please

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
There must be someone out there perfectly happy with 950xl and Wi-Fi router/ap
Please can you share the make and model so I can buy hardware to fix my phones requirements

Currently my E4200v1 has to be in 2.4 single band mode to even work at all, but even then the phones causing it to loose internet connection to other devices like my xbox live (with all the pain that causes)

if I turn off my phone before using other devices all is fine

Anyways Please tell me someone what to buy that actually works - :?)

Thanks

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That does seem odd. I would make sure you have updated the firmware for your router. I only recently upgraded to the lumia 950xl, but I personally use the TP-LINK AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi AC Router (Archer C9) and Arris Surboard sb6141 and have no problems as of yet.

Edit/update: after looking at some other threads, it appears there might be some issues with the 5GHz band. I informally tested it myself tonight and after a while (not sure how long it took) of being on the 5GHz band, it randomly decided to auto-connect to my 2.4GHz band. When I went into the wifi settings I couldn't see the 5GHz SSID at all to re-connect to. However, once I restarted my phone it popped back up as an option. However as I said before, the I have no issues with the 2.4GHz band at all.

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Using Apple Airport Extreme wifi router, 5Ghz band working pretty well. I switch to 2.4Ghz for the extra range as needed.

As others have mentioned, update firmware on router and phone if you haven't done so already.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No problem with Linksys EA4500 running dual-band. My 950 XL connects over 2.4 GHz. Haven't bothered to try out 5 GHz band because I don't like its limited range.

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
That does seem odd. I would make sure you have updated the firmware for your router. I only recently upgraded to the lumia 950xl, but I personally use the TP-LINK AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi AC Router (Archer C9) and Arris Surboard sb6141 and have no problems as of yet.

Edit/update: after looking at some other threads, it appears there might be some issues with the 5GHz band. I informally tested it myself tonight and after a while (not sure how long it took) of being on the 5GHz band, it randomly decided to auto-connect to my 2.4GHz band. When I went into the wifi settings I couldn't see the 5GHz SSID at all to re-connect to. However, once I restarted my phone it popped back up as an option. However as I said before, the I have no issues with the 2.4GHz band at all.

I use the Archer C9 also, it works fine with my 5Ghz band. It never autoconnects me to 2.4Ghz.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

The issue with the 950xl not seeing 5ghz networks happen to me as well randomly. A restart usually fixed it. So its the phone , not the router. Possibly faulty wireless chip and/or SoC with the SD810. Happens on two 950xl. I had to replace my first one due to faulty camera focus sensor. Same issue with the 5Ghz band not being detected (as oppose to not showing up, which sends the wrong message of faulty router vs faulty phone hardware).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you guys tried different channels on the 5Ghz frequency?

Try using something like Wifi Analyser to check if there is any out of the ordinary interference.

I know some smart tv's broadcast the their own network ssid (for WiFi direct) which can wreak havoc especially if they are next to the router.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
The 5GHz WiFi issue is a known bug with the 950/950XL itself, not the router (a good router anyway).

I have the RT-N66U as well which is an older router but rock-solid with EVERY SINGLE device I have in the house which is a lot using both wifi spectrums. Except when it comes to 5GHz with 950XL. You can find several threads on this subject here and elsewhere, including Windows Insider Feedback hub.

So to answer OP, a good router from Linksys/Cisco, Asus, or heck even Apple will work. I recommend going with simultaneous dual band mode router.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use the Archer C9 also, it works fine with my 5Ghz band. It never autoconnects me to 2.4Ghz.

To clarify, it autoconnects to the 2.4GHz band because it drops/can't find the 5Ghz band not that it just randomly switches to the 2.4Ghz band.

The 5GHz WiFi issue is a known bug with the 950/950XL itself, not the router (a good router anyway).

I have the RT-N66U as well which is an older router but rock-solid with EVERY SINGLE device I have in the house which is a lot using both wifi spectrums. Except when it comes to 5GHz with 950XL. You can find several threads on this subject here and elsewhere, including Windows Insider Feedback hub.

So to answer OP, a good router from Linksys/Cisco, Asus, or heck even Apple will work. I recommend going with simultaneous dual band mode router.

It's a software bug right? If it's hardware related, I only recently got the 950xl so I would definitely want to exchange it. I haven't really noticed any other major issues (other than the creaking in the case, but I honestly don't mind that and it doesn't take away from the quality of the phone for me) with my phone and I worry about exchanging it for some other random issue.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
It's a software bug right? If it's hardware related, I only recently got the 950xl so I would definitely want to exchange it. I haven't really noticed any other major issues (other than the creaking in the case, but I honestly don't mind that and it doesn't take away from the quality of the phone for me) with my phone and I worry about exchanging it for some other random issue.

I believe it's hardware which means a firmware update is required. The reason I think this is because I also have a Lumia 930 WP and both that and 950XL is on Fast Ring builds. The 930 does not exhibit the 5GHz connectivity issue like the 950 does. I'm not sure of other models having this problem. If you exchanged the 950XL for the same I think you'll still have the problem. Mind you, maybe if the 950 was never updated to most current firmware and Insider Builds (i.e. kept at time-of-release stock) it would be fine. I never bothered doing a total factory reset to test since as long as it still connects to 2.4GHz for now it's okay for me.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's hardware which means a firmware update is required. The reason I think this is because I also have a Lumia 930 WP and both that and 950XL is on Fast Ring builds. The 930 does not exhibit the 5GHz connectivity issue like the 950 does. I'm not sure of other models having this problem. If you exchanged the 950XL for the same I think you'll still have the problem. Mind you, maybe if the 950 was never updated to most current firmware and Insider Builds (i.e. kept at time-of-release stock) it would be fine. I never bothered doing a total factory reset to test since as long as it still connects to 2.4GHz for now it's okay for me.

Ok, if it can be fixed via firmware then I'm fine with that. I normally use 2.4Ghz on the phone anyways so it's not crucial. When I was saying hardware issue I thought there might be something physically defective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire