L920 to L950 XL - Feeling apprehensive

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
My old L920 is running 8.1. Ran in the Dev Preview group. Screen cracked... Cannot take a call unless on speaker or bluetooth.

Snapped up a 950 XL during the BOGO offer and while I'm kinda excited, I'm also extremely worried about what my experience will be. I do not remember ever having to do a hard reset on my L920. Sounds like the norm with W10M... This will be my primary phone, but will still have my L920 just incase...

Any advice to reduce the pain? Thanks in advance...

Is there even an agreement on which is the best protective case at this point? Seems so scattered as far as reviews...

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
FWIW:
- Stay on production build, for piece of mind. I'm on Insider Release Preview with no problems, but there is always a chance.
-I use a wallet for utility, protection. There are many cases = personal choice.
Lumia 950 XL/OS is over it's teething stage. W10P *.242 has been solid/ stable for me.
If in doubt stay at production build.
Think you will enjoy it.
Good Luck

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with EtheE, on Release Preview my 950XL is very well behaved, I really like it at this point. Plus if you ever take a selfie, those will be vastly improved (5MP vs 1.3MP)

Spec comparison: 950XL vs 920

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. It showed up today, but I may put off setup until the weekend.
Well good, just in time to give you this tip: on first setup, immediately head to the store and hit 'pause all' (it will be trying to download and update tons of apps), locate the store app in the list of downloads, and do that one first, and maybe some of the more important sounding settings apps. Once that's done you can resume all.

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input. It showed up today, but I may put off setup until the weekend.

You'll probably have to get a new sim unless you cut it yourself. AT&T wouldn't cut my 920 sim to fit my 950xl. Also insert the sim before you turn on and setup the phone.

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Went by to check, but didn't have phone. They said they would help, so going after work and I guess I'll be making the switch over tonight. Fingers crossed...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
For me, I don't have any major issues on my 950XL on the latest Fast ring build either and no need to hard reset either.

However, others may have issues. It seems experiences can vary. For that, as mentioned, it may be best to stay on the production ring for now.

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
All the texts stared showing up after 24hrs. So far everything is great, just still getting used to the differences between 8.1 & 10. Staying in the production ring for now & uber paranoid with no case or screen protection... lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium