Anyone debating between the 950 and the iphone?

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I know most people here are WP fans like I am, but I have been debating between staying on wp or switching to ios.

I have been a long time NOKIA fan, 15 years to be exact. When the Lumia line entered the states, I did not hesitate one bit and switched from my N79 (I am still impressed with its AF 5mp camera w/ zeiss even though it's a phone from what, 8 years ago?) to the L900, then L920, L640, and finally L950. So yeah, I've been through all the major MS ditching user scene.

I just love the layout of WP ever since it came out. I like the tiles, later on the live tiles, and now the transparent live tiles. I like the fluid feel of the interface as well. I enjoyed the camera on pretty much every Lumia phones I owned.

However, with the W10M so far, I started to feel MS asking $550 retail being too much for the L950 with sort of a beta platform. I know the W10M keeps on updating frequently, but there is still a very very long way until it is really a mature platform. I would have the camera not launching once in a while, iris scanner not launching once in a while, screen blinks twice every time I launch the camera with the hardware button, and lack of certain important apps. I'm not a heavy app user, I don't play games, and I have less than 30 apps on my phone, but lack of official panorama apps, banking apps, and airline/ hotel apps is disappointing to me. Also, I did not have any doubt for the camera before I purchased the 950, since it is a flagship Lumia. However, I do feel that the accuracy of focus isn't as good as the 920 percentage wise. I am having a hard time getting a focused picture at low light, and even at some day light situations and I used it the same way I took pictures with the 920 for the past 2+ years. (If I used the hardware button for focus in low light, 950 came out blur 8/10, 920 would usually be clear 8/10. Day light isn't that bad, 950 would be clear about 90/100, but 920 would be 95+/100)

Just recently, I purchased an used iphone 5s for cheap. Well, cheap for apple's standard... It's a 2+ year phone. I won't talk about the app part, since it's obvious. But the old iphone actually doesn't really feel that dated to me. Everything is fast, and it takes okay pictures.

This makes me really started debating about switching. But deep in my mind, I would still want to convince myself staying with the 950.

Anybody had this debate before? How'd you convince yourself going either way?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I-stuff= scandalously overpriced dandy gadget . A simple equation ever respected.
Since 2008. When Samsung Omnia was far better then first iPhone.... but it was not "fashionable"

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I looked at it. In fact, I may have looked a little too hard. :) I still prefer what the 950 offers in terms of hardware, see below. The Lumia prices include a 10% edu discount in this table.

lumia_vs_iphone.jpg

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I used an iphone 6 for a little while, but came back to the 950 and couldn't be happier. I really missed the live tiles, and found that all of the apps that I NEED are available for W10M. I will be sticking with W10M. If it goes down, I will go down with it, and then figure out what to do after a period of mourning haha.

I also HATED having to use itunes to transfer stuff from a computer to the phone and vice versa.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have both Lumia 950 (personal) and iPhone 6 (work). Personally I like the Lumia because of the live tiles, the continuum, its PC like features like file system etc. iPhone's icons look boring but I like Siri (Cortana is not available in my country).

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I have a 6s plus, as well as a 1520, and I just purchased the 950. I love Windows phones, they have been my favorite mobile OS since I saw the HTC Titan 2 in 2011.

HOWEVER; there are issues that I can't look past, and sometimes I need the maturity of iOS versus the coolness of Windows phone. Battery life on the iPhone is better than any android flagship and Windows phone I have ever used, and that's the most important thing to me.

No need to choose between them, grab both!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6s plus, as well as a 1520, and I just purchased the 950. I love Windows phones, they have been my favorite mobile OS since I saw the HTC Titan 2 in 2011.

HOWEVER; there are issues that I can't look past, and sometimes I need the maturity of iOS versus the coolness of Windows phone. Battery life on the iPhone is better than any android flagship and Windows phone I have ever used, and that's the most important thing to me.

No need to choose between them, grab both!

That's odd I found the battery life on the iphone to be worse. My wife has a 6S, and by the evening she is always down to the last few % vs not dropping below 10-15% on her Icon or Ativ SE. I used a 6 and it would do slightly worse for the day vs my 640, and didn't even come close to the excellent battery life of the 640XL or 1520. The 950 I have now as my primary phone seems to be getting better battery life with each update.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
That's odd I found the battery life on the iphone to be worse. My wife has a 6S, and by the evening she is always down to the last few % vs not dropping below 10-15% on her Icon or Ativ SE. I used a 6 and it would do slightly worse for the day vs my 640, and didn't even come close to the excellent battery life of the 640XL or 1520. The 950 I have now as my primary phone seems to be getting better battery life with each update.

I can't speak for the regular size models, I have used the plus models, both the 6 and 6s plus. They get incredible battery. If the 1520 had a brand new battery in it, I think it would give it a run for its money, an no android I've used can touch the 6s plus, but yea. Think you misread on accident, friend.

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I am in the same situation.. I have been using WP since the beginning of 2013 (L820 was just released)... And in 2014 I got my 930. At the beginning I enjoyed using it so much... It felt fantastic (I still like my 820 as well.. There is something special with it. I dunno). But after 1 year I started seeing so much problems in WP/WM. At first it was the "app gap" (a lot of my friends use Snapchat.. I can't stay connected with them this way, because such app isn't available for WM. It's just 1 of the examples). Then I noticed something else about these apps.. A lot of apps on WP had poor quality (missing features, bad performance etc.). And after that W10M came... Well... Then things went bad. Phone got completely unstable, glitching (+ did I mentioned L930 hardware problems?). So I started thinking about switching to iPhone.
But then W10M received various needed updates. And with latest stable one, L930 feels so good, that I actually don't want to switch to overpriced iPhone (*********, Apple ;c ).. Hell.. I don't even want a new Lumia anymore. It just feels perfect now. So much things are fixed, some apps have received updates and are better and more usable now.
So.. I guess this shows that W10M is still growing and getting stronger and better.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i have both (iphone 6 is for work) and to be honest, enjoy my 950 a lot more. granted, yes, the app situation sucks, but only have 2 non-work apps installs on the iphone (my bank and miitomo) so, not really that big of an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3