Proximity sensor issues

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Over the last couple weeks, I've started to notice issues with the proximity sensor on my 640 XL.

I first noticed it when I was on a phone call. The screen would not come back on when I pulled the phone away from my face. I couldn't figure out how to turn the screen back on, so I had to ask my brother, whom I was talking to at the time, to hang up the call. For the times that this has occurred since then, I've been able to turn the screen back on by pressing the power button multiple times until the screen responds.

I've also noticed other symptoms related to the proximity sensor issue. When it stops responding, Glance no longer works nor does double-tap-to-wake.

I know that screen protectors have been known to cause issues with the proximity sensor. I do have one installed, but it has a cutout for the placement of the proximity sensor. The screen protector had been installed for about 8 months by the time I started experiencing this issue. There is no noticeable damage to the screen protector near the proximity sensor such as peeling or scratches, and there are no scratches on the exposed glass above the proximity sensor.

A power cycle corrects all these issues temporarily. That, and the fact that there are several threads in the Lumia 950 and 950 XL forums describing similar issues, make me think there might be a software problem in Windows 10 Mobile.

It is also possible that I could be suffering a hardware malfunction. I accidentally dropped my phone a few weeks ago. The phone didn't show any external damage, but the battery cover and the battery itself both went flying apart on impact. However, if it is a hardware issue, I don't understand how a power cycle would help.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their 640 XL?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Over the last couple weeks, I've started to notice issues with the proximity sensor on my 640 XL.

I first noticed it when I was on a phone call. The screen would not come back on when I pulled the phone away from my face. I couldn't figure out how to turn the screen back on, so I had to ask my brother, whom I was talking to at the time, to hang up the call. For the times that this has occurred since then, I've been able to turn the screen back on by pressing the power button multiple times until the screen responds.

I've also noticed other symptoms related to the proximity sensor issue. When it stops responding, Glance no longer works nor does double-tap-to-wake.

I know that screen protectors have been known to cause issues with the proximity sensor. I do have one installed, but it has a cutout for the placement of the proximity sensor. The screen protector had been installed for about 8 months by the time I started experiencing this issue. There is no noticeable damage to the screen protector near the proximity sensor such as peeling or scratches, and there are no scratches on the exposed glass above the proximity sensor.

A power cycle corrects all these issues temporarily. That, and the fact that there are several threads in the Lumia 950 and 950 XL forums describing similar issues, make me think there might be a software problem in Windows 10 Mobile.

It is also possible that I could be suffering a hardware malfunction. I accidentally dropped my phone a few weeks ago. The phone didn't show any external damage, but the battery cover and the battery itself both went flying apart on impact. However, if it is a hardware issue, I don't understand how a power cycle would help.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their 640 XL?

it could be a hardware issue since at time sensors don't fail immediately after a fall but they can fail slowly. Restarting the phone helps but temporarily. There could be a loose connection due to the fall.

You could take it to a service centre for a check up

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had simmilar problem with my 735. One of the pins came bent. I bended ithow it should be and it worked. If you aren't in guarantee period, you can do it by self. Eventually after some time pin rebended and secind trying to fix it made it broke. Now I need to take it to service station, but at least I saved myself few months.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had simmilar problem with my 735. One of the pins came bent. I bended ithow it should be and it worked. If you aren't in guarantee period, you can do it by self. Eventually after some time pin rebended and secind trying to fix it made it broke. Now I need to take it to service station, but at least I saved myself few months.

This was sold as a "seller refurbished phone" and arrived to me running the Insider preview last August, so I'm not sure if Microsoft would still honor the original 1 year warranty? I've continued to have good and bad days with this issue, but I have not yet taken the time to open up the housing. I think you are spot on with your diagnosis.

I just received a text message, but the screen stayed off when I pulled the phone out of my pocket. I put pressure on the glass with my thumbs placed near the proximity sensor on opposite sides, and the display immediately came on with the new message showing at the top of the lock screen.

sowmindra

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I also had similar problem with 640XL, no damage to sensor and all sensors seem to be working (Tested with some apps), no screen cover, very frustrating

My 640XL stopped responding to double tab and goes black when dialing or receiving a call. Not sure probably some update has caused it.

Tried several options to disable/enable.
Checked all sensors using various apps and all seems to be working fine.

Tried hard reset also, but in vain.

It is very irritating to use phone which is unresponsive.
Phone does make some sound when a new message arrives, but doesn't show any light, also goes blank while calling too frustrating,
Can some one please help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb