Any reason to keep waiting?

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a AT&T branded Lumia 830 - and still waiting for Windows 10 official upgrade. And waiting. And waiting. I bought a L640 to do developer preview in the meantime - and I love Windows 10 and can't imagine going back. But I miss the camera button, higher resolution camera and slightly brighter screen.

Is there a downside from just going Windows Insider - and upgrading myself. Will I miss out on any future updates?

robsbrutal

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
No you should be fine! Go for it. You can always go back down. I was running Redstone the last month or so and I dropped my 950 back down to the newest threshold build last night. So you've got control friend!

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok. .. here goes nothing. Can't wait years for AT&T .... I'll report back with the results. I've upgraded three 640s and two 520s -- and all work. So, hoping the same goes for the 830!

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Went ahead and did a hard reset to fix the problem with the missing Groove and Weather app icons in the all apps list. That fixed it. Performance seems pretty good so far.

Loved my 640 - but man - did i ever miss that camera button!

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mine that with an 830 you'll almost certainly run into this;

W10M Insider Preview - AT&T 830 Random Screen Blinking - Microsoft Community

I suppose it depends how much the screen blinking issue will bother you, it's not just related to the AT&T version, the European versions seem to be affected as well, I think many 830s require a firmware update.

Hope it goes well anyway.

Yeah I have this. Its annoying. Not a deal breaker tho. Still trucking with .318

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Went ahead and did a hard reset to fix the problem with the missing Groove and Weather app icons in the all apps list. That fixed it. Performance seems pretty good so far.

So absolutely no issues with your phone so far?

Upgraded mine through my carrier Telus, was performed after a fresh install of W8.1, did the upgrade then a hard reset forgoing any backups, all in all we’re not overly impressed with what we see and how it performs compared to its native OS.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Love Windows 10. Love the 830. But together - noticed three little things.

1. Battery life seems to be OK - but not great. Loses about 5% an hour. That's not bad - but battery doesn't seem to last as long as it did before. Wish I would have measured it on 8.1. With that said, the phone is almost 2 years old - so maybe it's a deterioration of the battery more than anything.
2. Periodic black-outs. Every three or four days - the screen will black out for about a 1/2 second and come back on. It's not common and is brief - so not a biggie, but it's an issue.
3. Cortana crash. Cortana usually crashes the first time you ask her something. This isn't specific to the 830 - had the same issue with an upgrade 640. Not a huge deal - but hope this gets fixed soonest.

Overall - very glad I upgraded. 8.1 seems old fashioned now. But with that said, hoping the next build irons out the remaining small items before I can say I'm delighted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon