PDF attachments - Can't read : 640XL

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I received a PDF attachment with my mail on my 640XL but I can't read it. If I tap it, a window pops up stating "You need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the Store?". I can't understand why this is as I already have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. If I press the attachment and choose the save option, it comes back with "Chhose an App" giving 3 choices :
1. This Device
2. SD Card
3. One Drive
If then try to save the fime in my SD card all it does is show mw all the foldres in the SD drive. If I choose the Documents folder then it says it it empty. If then I go on to the next stage it shows the file name and if I then save it and go back to the documents folder, it is not there.

Appreciate some help as to how to overcome this issue.
Thanks...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a soft reset? If that does not help try this:
Uninstall and reinstall the PDF reader app and Adobe Acrobat Reader, reboot, then reinstall. Open each app and close it. Then try again if you can open pdf attachments. It's possible that app permissions/associations have not been set (correctly).
hope that helps

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Many thyanks for your relply. I have done several resets since but no luck. I have also done as you have suggested but still no joy. I can't see anything obvious in the Adobe Reader settings for associations/permissions unless these have to be done elsewhere. I have also tried a couple of other PDF readers but nothing. It feels that the phone somehow does not know that a PDF reader app has been installed. I have trawled through all the menus and settings of the phone but I can't see anything where you can set an association and/or permission unless I am missing something.

Thanks again...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
have you tried to copy a pdf from the PC into the Download or My Document folder on the SDCard and they try to open it from Adobe Reader on the phone? Maybe the save to never works and there is nothing to open.

only other suggestion is a hard reset.

AceIRO

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Thanks again for your reply. Yes, it does work if I copy a pdf document to the Documents folder in the phone and then open it. But wait, the plot thickens !!! I have 2 e-mail accounts installed in my phone and it so happens someone sent me a pdf attachment to my other account and lo and behold it opened without any problems !!

But sadly with my other e-mail account which is my main account, the pdf attachments still won't open. I am now well and truly flummaxed !!

Thanks...

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I received a PDF attachment with my mail on my 640XL but I can't read it. If I tap it, a window pops up stating "You need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the Store?". I can't understand why this is as I already have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. If I press the attachment and choose the save option, it comes back with "Chhose an App" giving 3 choices :
1. This Device
2. SD Card
3. One Drive
If then try to save the fime in my SD card all it does is show mw all the foldres in the SD drive. If I choose the Documents folder then it says it it empty. If then I go on to the next stage it shows the file name and if I then save it and go back to the documents folder, it is not there.

Appreciate some help as to how to overcome this issue.
Thanks...
I'm having this same exact issue including opening a jpeg/jpg attachment. Outlook Mail ver. 17.6965.40522.0 and Win 10 Mobile ver. 10.0.14295.1005.

This kind of problem should have been resolved for a core function long ago. I should have stayed on the non Redstone branch as there are definitely more issues with the Redstone branch after switching to slow ring. :(

Lumia 830

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes