Build 14342

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi Lumia 550 users

I'm wondering why nobody is sharing his/her experiences with new insider builds on the Lumia 550?

I know there are general threads for that, but I never find 550 users in those.

So what are your experiences? Mine is positive for now. The build actually seems as smooth as the production build and the new features are welcomed. All it needs is a little more polishing I think

So feel free to discuss everything about the build!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Lumia 550 users

I'm wondering why nobody is sharing his/her experiences with new insider builds on the Lumia 550?

I know there are general threads for that, but I never find 550 users in those.

So what are your experiences? Mine is positive for now. The build actually seems as smooth as the production build and the new features are welcomed. All it needs is a little more polishing I think

So feel free to discuss everything about the build!

I think not many people bought the 550 and there's also a possibility that those that did buy are on a budget and don't want to break things

bhaspence

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I think not many people bought the 550 and there's also a possibility that those that did buy are on a budget and don't want to break things

That's.me.

I can't justify spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on a mobile phone. I seriously don't believe any phone is worth it.

Secondly i can be quite careless especially when i have had a few,

You can pick up a 550 in England sim free for ?59 which i believe is terrific value. It's an excellent basic phone. I am thinking about getting the 650 though. It looks lovely. Maybe i'll wait until it drops to around ?100 though.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
As a 550 user, I advice you to go for a 650 as well. The design is nicer, so is the screen and it actually is smoother in usage.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As a 550 user, I advice you to go for a 650 as well. The design is nicer, so is the screen and it actually is smoother in usage.

Are you using the 550 fairly often? How have the updates affected the phone since you got it to now? Any major improvements? I'm thinking of giving it a possible whirl again.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Updates are pretty good but not buttery smooth. I have to admit the redstone builds are coming along nicely and the new features are very welcome. The overal experience is better then when I got it, but honestly not that much different. The chipset is the bottleneck I guess.

I'm using it as a secondary device next to my Galaxy S6. I tried using it as my primary phone before, but honestly it's not smooth enough for that. It's a good device to test Windows 10 Mobile or to use as a backup phone though.

What's your primary device?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Updates are pretty good but not buttery smooth. I have to admit the redstone builds are coming along nicely and the new features are very welcome. The overal experience is better then when I got it, but honestly not that much different. The chipset is the bottleneck I guess.

I'm using it as a secondary device next to my Galaxy S6. I tried using it as my primary phone before, but honestly it's not smooth enough for that. It's a good device to test Windows 10 Mobile or to use as a backup phone though.

What's your primary device?

Good to know, thank you! My primary is the iPhone SE. I really like it but the iPhone is kind of boring.

the user

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 550 that I bought just to try Windows 10 on. My main phone is a 1020 that I rolled back to Windows Phone 8 GDR3 so the 550 is basically just a toy and a backup.
Anyway, windows 10 has come a long way on this device since release. I bought it in january and initially it was on build 10586.00. It was terrible. Performance was terrible, there were many annoyances. But with subsequent Threshold builds it got progressively better. To the point where with 10586.318 it is actually a usable phone. Not that quick but at least it's smooth most of the time (main annoyance is opening action center on the start screen - it's not that responsive and a bit laggy, but only on start screen, everywhere else it's fine and smooth). But I like it for some reason - I don't feel the need to baby it like my 1020 because you can get one for around 100 euros here (cheap) and it has a nice screen.
Anyway, a couple of days ago I decided to install Redstone on it and went to build 14342.1001, then .1003. So what I noticed - feels a little more polished than 10586 (many little details), also opening action center on start screen is smoother. But apps take just a tiny amount of time longer to open than on 10586 - maybe because of extra diagnostics stuff running because it's an insider build or just not yet optimised code.
In conclusion - the phone is not bad, certainly a lot better than it was just several months ago. Especially for the price.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry but so is the Lumia 550...

Aw okay. To me, the size of it is great. I wish that the camera was too, in low light lol.
To me, what makes the iPhone boring is how there's just one look and one style. Different sizes but still.
Windows Phone can be as different as one might want it to be, it's perfectly between Android and iOS when it comes to customization.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Customization is getting even better with the Redstone builds. I get that people love small screened devices, but it's actually one of the things I dislike about the Lumia. The screen is too small for Windows 10 Mobile in my opinion. It's a joy to use on a bigger screen. Besides, the screen to body ratio isn't that great (although you can't really complain for the price).
Maybe you could still pick up a 550 if you can find a good deal?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After trying the latest official build on my 640, I'm going to pass on the 550. I love the size of it, but it's working nicely on my 640.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to Cricket wireless and decided to use my 550 on it. It's okay, not great but not bad either. Believe it or now, I had a 735 on verizon and this guy performs better on windows 10. I was also running verizon's official windows 10 release. Since I'm on cricket now, I've been eye balling the 650. Is it worth it for me to but it or nay?

Nandakumark7

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi Joe,

i bought a new L550 two days back and tried to register for insider build using Windows Insider application, however its not allowing me to choose the ring, it says that the mobile isnt supported for insider. can you please let me know how you got yours enrolled.

Regards,
Nandakumar

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I did the exact same thing. Have you installed the latest update before trying? With the new builds, you can actually opt in via settings - updates and security - windows insider.

If that still doesnt work, try a hard reset. You should definitly be able to opt in. I'm in the fast ring and it's actually smoother and better than the stable builds for me. It's still no Galaxy S6, but it's very usable.

mantis79

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem at first but after reinstalling the insider app it worked i have the latest insiders and it works very well i have the anneversiry update and no longer need tve insider app its built in now but i advice you to use slow ring or release preveiw less bugs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon