Looks like Microsoft is looking to sell off it's low end phone line

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Looks like Microsoft is looking to sell off it's low end phone line.

Nokia phones find a new champion, with Android at its side - CNET

According to the article Microsoft isn't dumping Lumia, just selling off the Nokia brand it seems.

"For higher-end phones, Microsoft will continue to develop its Windows 10 Mobile software and the Lumia phones that run it. It'll also continue to work with manufacturing partners including Acer, Alcatel, HP and Vaio on Windows-powered phones, Microsoft said."​

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
MS didn't own the Nokia brand name, but was able to use it for a certain amount of time.

What's funny is that people and sites are acting like nokia is coming back to the cell market. They aren't. They are licensing out the name to a foxconn subsidary (who happens to have SOME ex-nokia staff) to make phones.It's not the same as nokia making phones themselves....

It's a similar deal to what kodak and polaroid have going on.... They no longer make cameras, but license the name out to others to make them.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
MS didn't own the Nokia brand name, but was able to use it for a certain amount of time.

What's funny is that people and sites are acting like nokia is coming back to the cell market. They aren't. They are licensing out the name to a foxconn subsidary (who happens to have SOME ex-nokia staff) to make phones.It's not the same as nokia making phones themselves....

It's a similar deal to what kodak and polaroid have going on.... They no longer make cameras, but license the name out to others to make them.
Microsoft doesn't actually make the Xbox One either. That's manufactured by Foxconn.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

On the contrary, Nokia will be taking an active role in the design and creation of these devices. From the PR: Nokia signs strategic brand and intellectual property licensing agreement

"Nokia Technologies will take a seat on the Board of Directors of HMD and set mandatory brand requirements and performance related provisions to ensure that all Nokia-branded products exemplify consumer expectations of Nokia devices, including quality, design and consumer focused innovation." Sounds like a lot more than just a licensing deal.

Microsoft doesn't actually make the Xbox One either. That's manufactured by Foxconn.

The same with the iPhone. Apple designs it then contracts out to manufacture it.

A fact that is overlooked in many comments I've seen trying to downplay this news. Personally I have always liked Nokia as a company and even if I never buy one of their android handsets I can only say I'm glad to see that name return to making mobile devices.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
A fact that is overlooked in many comments I've seen trying to downplay this news. Personally I have always liked Nokia as a company and even if I never buy one of their android handsets I can only say I'm glad to see that name return to making mobile devices.

I've also seen other articles that referenced the original article I posted, saying that Microsoft was dumping its Lumia line completely. The cited article (the one I posted) made no mention of that.

Microsoft may have just killed its Lumia line. Good riddance - CNET

The writer of the this article, for some reason can't read. The article he referenced (the one in my original post) actually said, "For higher-end phones, Microsoft will continue to develop its Windows 10 Mobile software and the Lumia phones that run it."

That's not an ambiguous statement. So I'm stumped as to why people saying that Microsoft is dumping its Lumia line.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've also seen other articles that referenced the original article I posted, saying that Microsoft was dumping its Lumia line completely. The cited article (the one I posted) made no mention of that.

Microsoft may have just killed its Lumia line. Good riddance - CNET

The writer of the this article, for some reason can't read. The article he referenced (the one in my original post) actually said, "For higher-end phones, Microsoft will continue to develop its Windows 10 Mobile software and the Lumia phones that run it."

That's not an ambiguous statement. So I'm stumped as to why people saying that Microsoft is dumping its Lumia line.
That's probably true. Any new Microsoft device will have the Surface brand or something else brand new. They're done with future devices called Lumia.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Because they are dumping their Lumia line. Rubino himself has been saying so for months. Lumia is done. Surface is the heir to the Mobile throne. Long live Surface!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been following Dan lately. Like I said, to me the comment by Microsoft alluded to further developing Lumia. It's the Nokia brand name that Microsoft is licensing out.

And even though it seems that a Surface phone is still up in the air, Microsoft still is vested in the mobile (smartphone) market.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This article pretty much confirms what we were discussing.

I disagree with his remark about Microsoft abandoning the consumer sector. By focusing on the enterprise sector, Microsoft is actually promoting consumer sector as well.

How did Office become so big? By Microsoft pushing it to businesses and offering a HUP. Businesses learned that if their employees had Office for personal use, they could leverage that for work as well. The same goes for Windows. Microsoft set up enterprise solutions with OEMs like Dell and HP. Dell and HP would offer enterprise contracts and sell both systems and support to businesses. Microsoft offered the OS at a reduced rate. People who used Windows OS at work were more likely to purchase a Windows powered PC for home use.

Microsoft is building a premium phone geared towards enterprise. What that means is that if the Surface Phone is successful in the enterprise sector, then Microsoft has a legit foot in the door. Especially, if they offer a reduced cost HUP type program for its phones. It also applies to the education sector too. Students can get a huge discount on a phone that integrates with the Windows powered PC they most likely already own.

Microsoft Surface Phone To Come As High-End Smartphone For Enterprise : TECH : Tech Times

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo