Quick Charger replacement for L 950

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

My fast charger that came with the phone stopped working on my L 950. Nothing happens when I plug it in. It chargers on any other USB type c cable charger / my old Nokia wireless charger etc. I am trying to find a replacement for the factory fast charger. I would love if Microsoft just sold the actual factory "fast" charger.... I am having a hard time finding out what type of fast charger I need. As others on this forum have stated, MS doesn't say what type of charging it is, just "fast charge"

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Flumia950%2Fspecifications%2F&token=HkFR-a6c

I thought I read somewhere that the 950 used Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 so I tried this one.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 2.0, Tronsmart 18W USB Wall Charger for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, S6 Edge/Plus, Note 5, LG G4, Nexus 6 and More: Electronics

It charges but it is not using quick charge. it take forever to charge compared to the factory charger.

Any help is appreciated.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

My fast charger that came with the phone stopped working on my L 950. Nothing happens when I plug it in. It chargers on any other USB type c cable charger / my old Nokia wireless charger etc. I am trying to find a replacement for the factory fast charger. I would love if Microsoft just sold the actual factory "fast" charger.... I am having a hard time finding out what type of fast charger I need. As others on this forum have stated, MS doesn't say what type of charging it is, just "fast charge"

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Flumia950%2Fspecifications%2F&token=nYa-fgdJ

I thought I read somewhere that the 950 used Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 so I tried this one.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 2.0, Tronsmart 18W USB Wall Charger for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, S6 Edge/Plus, Note 5, LG G4, Nexus 6 and More: Electronics

It charges but it is not using quick charge. it take forever to charge compared to the factory charger.

Any help is appreciated.
I bought the same charger, and was disappointed as well

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am about to lose my mind..... I called MS and asked if I could buy a replacement charger. The Microsoft store said, "we don't sell them. Call phone support" Well I asked if there were any third party chargers that would work with "MS fast charge" they said they couldn't know. So I called MS phone support. Just as clueless..... after 20 minutes of hold time, he came back and said, "just go to microsoftstore.com and order the "ac-100". I told him they don't sell it. I asked him which type of third party charger would work. He could not answer me..... Does anyone have a spare brick wall I could bang my head against.....

I want to try this one, but tired of spending money for nothing....

Amazon.com: Tronsmart WC1T Qualcomm Certified 18W Quick Charge 3.0 USB 1-Port Wall Charger for Galaxy S6/Edge/Plus, Note 4/5, Nexus 6 and Qi Wireless Charging Pad - Black: Electronics

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh the MS phone support guy did say I could send the charger back to them and they would either fix it or replace it. But that does not fix my issue with knowing what will work with this MS "fast charge" I rather use 6' long charge cords.....

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
There's lots of confusion on this issue, largely because of marketing terms.

Here's the way I understand it: Quick Charge 2.0 is a feature available, but not necessarily implemented on newer Qualcom SOC's, including the 808 and 810 used in the new Lumias. It allows fast charging using a charging that can temporarily provide higher voltages than the normal 5V. But unless the manufacturer implements the Quick Charge feature, it's not available. Qualcomm's Quick Charge is not implemented on the Lumia 950/950XL!

But, the Lumia 950/950XL use a different approach to get a very similar result. The included Lumia charger produces 3.0 amps at the standard 5V, rather than lower amperage at a higher voltage. Check your charger - it's labeled 5V/3.0A. Most USB chargers provide only 0.8A up to 2.0A.

The Nexus 5X/6P are very similar - they don't use Qualcom's Quick Charge, but the do use a higher amperage charger to get what they call "Rapid Charge".

I have found that my Lumia 950 charges fairly quickly using a 2.4A charger that came with a large tablet.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There's lots of confusion on this issue, largely because of marketing terms.

Here's the way I understand it: Quick Charge 2.0 is a feature available, but not necessarily implemented on newer Qualcom SOC's, including the 808 and 810 used in the new Lumias. It allows fast charging using a charging that can temporarily provide higher voltages than the normal 5V. But unless the manufacturer implements the Quick Charge feature, it's not available. Qualcomm's Quick Charge is not implemented on the Lumia 950/950XL!

But, the Lumia 950/950XL use a different approach to get a very similar result. The included Lumia charger produces 3.0 amps at the standard 5V, rather than lower amperage at a higher voltage. Check your charger - it's labeled 5V/3.0A. Most USB chargers provide only 0.8A up to 2.0A.

The Nexus 5X/6P are very similar - they don't use Qualcom's Quick Charge, but the do use a higher amperage charger to get what they call "Rapid Charge".

I have found that my Lumia 950 charges fairly quickly using a 2.4A charger that came with a large tablet.

Thanks for the response/clarification. That is one issue I have found. I can not find a 3A/5V charger out there... The Qualcom QC 3.0 comes close. I just wish MS would sell replacement chargers with the 3A/5V.

Funny enough, microsoftstore.com sells them in non US stores....

K?b Microsoft AC-100E Fast Charger vurdering - Microsoft Danmark Online Store

I guess I could get an outlet converter? lol so much trouble for such a little thing.

You hey

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Just look for anything that is 5v 3a charger with a USB C to USB C cable (one that has been validated to work as spec'd like the iOrange and other models that Benson Leung has validated A Google engineer sacrificed his Chromebook Pixel to test USB-C cables | The Verge).
It has to be C to C if you want the full 15watts potential to the nexus as A to C can't do it. If something is validated to change full speed with the Nexus 5x/6p then it should work at full speed with the Lumia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck