Lumia 950 heat and battery drain.

kevhenn

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Since you mentioned Facebook, I have to add that since I removed this app from my phone, battery life has improved and my phone doesn't overheat. I've had issues on other phones with Facebook being installed as well.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand you are trying to be helpful, however, seeing suggestions like "turn off Wi-Fi" or "unlink skype messaging" when the OP has Microsoft's flagship 950 device is upsetting. Clearly, a device this new and robust should handle such things without battery drain or heating up. My wife and I have been chasing heating and battery drain issues on her 950 for two months now so my frustration with shelling out $600 for this unit is high. Her 1020 ran better than the 950 does and that is truly too bad.

I could not agree more.

Leifsson

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys..
I know this is a bit late now, but if you haven't got a solution yet, i think these guys can help you. They solved my brothers battery issue and that thing lasts for up to two days now at regular use! (Getting a bit jealous here as my iphone barley lasts a day). The issue seems to have gone completely, and this was in July 2016
It looks like it have something to do with the restore partition on the phone.
Anyway, try their method and see if it works for you as well.
How to Solve Heat Issue on Lumia 950 XL

Good luck to you!

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys..
I know this is a bit late now, but if you haven't got a solution yet, i think these guys can help you. They solved my brothers battery issue and that thing lasts for up to two days now at regular use! (Getting a bit jealous here as my iphone barley lasts a day). The issue seems to have gone completely, and this was in July 2016
It looks like it have something to do with the restore partition on the phone.
Anyway, try their method and see if it works for you as well.
How to Solve Heat Issue on Lumia 950 XL

Good luck to you!

Tl;dr: Reinstall the OS via WDRT and then start from scratch instead from a backup ;)

Mohammad Ahmad3

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I understand you are trying to be helpful, however, seeing suggestions like "turn off Wi-Fi" or "unlink skype messaging" when the OP has Microsoft's flagship 950 device is upsetting. Clearly, a device this new and robust should handle such things without battery drain or heating up. My wife and I have been chasing heating and battery drain issues on her 950 for two months now so my frustration with shelling out $600 for this unit is high. Her 1020 ran better than the 950 does and that is truly too bad.

Hi,
I had and still have this issue, i took it to the service center and the technician there checked the voltage of the battery as well as the motherboard. They found that the battery is perfectly fine but the motherboard voltage is higher than required thus the heating. Unfortunately the warranty was over so couldn't get the board changed. I hope this can help with the heating issue. If I am wrong please do let me know.
Thank you

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
After having a 950 since launch I was getting lots of battery drain, so I just replaced the battery. Immediately got only 10% battery drain where I'd previously got at least 30% or 40%. Could be worth a try!

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Some things to consider when battery drain rears its ugly head.

OneDrive sync - are you sync'ing photos all the time? Playing music from OneDrive?

Email sync periods (1hr, 30mins, push) = push sync's all the time since it supposed to be immediate. Also check People contact sync periods.

Display on = probably the most egregious culprit. Try limiting screen on times and also brightness

Notifications = the more apps you have to notify you of stuff the more it drains

Cellular connectivity = also a big drain is when the phone tries to retain a cellular connection. You could turn off cell data and location. Both are big drains. Turn location on as needed only.

Background sync and apps = try to limit these as well

Battery Saver = enable at higher battery percentage, example: 80% instead of at 20%.

Full wipe with Windows Device Recovery Tool. Do not restore from backup. Start fresh.

Carry a larger battery pack and extra USB-C cables around and chargers. I have a 30,000 mAh battery pack with USB-C port and quick charge 2.0, and extra charge/sync cables. Remember to charge early and often. And remember to bring them with you.

I also have car chargers as well.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
After having a 950 since launch I was getting lots of battery drain, so I just replaced the battery. Immediately got only 10% battery drain where I'd previously got at least 30% or 40%. Could be worth a try!
Same here but phone would randomly shut off, even when charging. Att didn't have anymore batteries, obviously, so they sent me a whole new phone with a new battery.

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I was on cellular data for 3 hours and texting and multitasking and my 950 went from 98% to 31% and feels like a stove right now... Wtf 318 sucks

I have had the lumia 950 for more than 1 year. The heat issue is normal for a Lumia phone. I am only using the phone for calls and email. I use my iPhone 7 for everything else.

I also had a battery drain issue. I managed to buy a new battery and now battery life is very long.

If you want to use the Lumia 950 for social media and youtube then heat issue will never end. When I use youtube the phone become extremely HOT!!!!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My battery life has never been great on the Lumia 950, and I think it's gotten even worse recently. I can only get about 4 hours of total battery life if I have about 30 minutes of total screen time on a single charge. When Microsoft dropped the price on the Idol 4S last week, I ordered some for my parents because they both need to replace aging Windows phones, but I ordered one for myself because this battery issue has gotten so bad.

The problem mostly seems to be due to the power used by the screen, but it also is a big problem when searching for a cell tower. I've taken two interstate in the past few months. Without using the phone, the battery drains about 35 - 40% per hour while driving on the highway. When I realized what was happening on my first road trip and enabled airplane mode, the rate of battery drain slowed to about 5% per hour.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Have heat issues too, it is related to the hardware I think (2yrs old). But with 15252 and latest Skype it seems to have improved slightly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750