Lumia 1520, StraightTalk & Windows 10?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone managed to get their 1520 updated to Windows 10 on Straight Talk? Would be interested in how.

Thanks

Straight Talk has nothing to do with it, they never branded a 1520.

Do you have the RM-940 ATT variant? The RM-938 1520.3? Some other one?

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
If you have an unlocked 1520 you should be able to put in a straight talk sim card and have it work. The weakness of straight talk's GSM offerings is that you are limited to your primary carrier's towers (ATT or T-Mobile) and can't roam. End result is that you have a very limited network geographically.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If you have an unlocked 1520 you should be able to put in a straight talk sim card and have it work. The weakness of straight talk's GSM offerings is that you are limited to your primary carrier's towers (ATT or T-Mobile) and can't roam. End result is that you have a very limited network geographically.

I had mine on AT&T and traveled quite a bit with it and never had a problem finding a strong AT&T signal.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I forgot I posted this here. You guys missed the point. Straighttalk has not released the Windows 10 update yet, so when I go to update my phone, I do not get it. So, StraightTalk has everything to do with it.

I do have the phone working fine on StraightTalk on 8.1, but I would like to get the Windows 10 update if possible.

Also the bit about roaming is bull****. I can pickup any AT&T tower anywhere and won't have a problem. I've had StraightTalk before and as long as I have AT&T and Verizon, I never had an issue finding service anywhere except the outskirts of Vermont and New Hampshire where nobody has cell service. Don't believe every bit of false hype that AT&T/Verizon pays a lot of money to make you believe. The only downfall is they are really slow to release update

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk has nothing to do with it, they never branded a 1520.

Do you have the RM-940 ATT variant? The RM-938 1520.3? Some other one?

It was a 1520 on StraightTalk via a Sim card, something they have offered for years now. As I said in my prior post, ST has everything to do with it because they won't release the update. Was hoping there was a Windows tener app like there was a seveneighter app that I could do it on my PC instead

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ST has everything to do with it because they won't release the update.

Dean,

Only those carriers that have branded an eligible model will even see the RTM. Straight Talk can't release what they will never be given.

When a phone is branded by a carrier, that carrier gets an RTM (Release to Manufacturer) to test and pass for push or decline. Same goes for OEMs like HTC. So if you have an HTC One (M8) for Windows you are under a double whammy. HTC has to pass the upgrade and ATT has to pass the upgrade before it gets pushed.

If you SIM unlock your ATT Branded HTC One (M8) for Windows and take it to T-Mobile... Your upgrade comes courtesy of, or held hostage by, HTC and ATT - no matter that T-Mo also had a branded One (M8).

The SIM that is in the phone has zero to do with where your upgrade comes from.

The upgrade push targets devices by class based on the hardware identifiers in the database. Once an ATT device, always an ATT device so far as the upgrade checking your phone is concerned.

You can fly an ATT One (M8) to Italy and Italy has nothing to do with the upgrade. You can shove a TIM Italy SIM in it. TIM has nothing to do with the upgrade...

Straight Talk is very much a moot point. They are NOT in the upgrade path in any way shape or form.

You can take an ATT One (M8) to China. Get it SIM unlocked from ATT. Have no SIM in it. The moment HTC and ATT approve the upgrade, you can put the device on WiFi and get the upgrade. No SIM required.

If your device is not carrier branded (and you seem unwilling to say), you can use Upgrade Advisor right now and get W10M official.

If your device is carrier branded, you are waiting for that original carrier to approve the official upgrade no matter what SIM is in the device.

If your device is carrier branded and you are tired of waiting for official W10M, you can install Insider App today and get the same build as official by selecting the Release Ring and upgrading. Then check updates and bump up from the entry version to 10586.420 the same as everyone else has...

In the end, you have way more to do with the upgrade than Straight Talk ever could. To use a common phrase: "You're barking up the wrong tree."

Good Luck.

[NOTE]If your phone is on the eligible list and not waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Upgrade Advisor to get the Official release (RTM).

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ[/NOTE]

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Dean,

Only those carriers that have branded an eligible model will even see the RTM. Straight Talk can't release what they will never be given.

When a phone is branded by a carrier, that carrier gets an RTM (Release to Manufacturer) to test and pass for push or decline. Same goes for OEMs like HTC. So if you have an HTC One (M8) for Windows you are under a double whammy. HTC has to pass the upgrade and ATT has to pass the upgrade before it gets pushed.

If you SIM unlock your ATT Branded HTC One (M8) for Windows and take it to T-Mobile... Your upgrade comes courtesy of, or held hostage by, HTC and ATT - no matter that T-Mo also had a branded One (M8).

The SIM that is in the phone has zero to do with where your upgrade comes from.

The upgrade push targets devices by class based on the hardware identifiers in the database. Once an ATT device, always an ATT device so far as the upgrade checking your phone is concerned.

You can fly an ATT One (M8) to Italy and Italy has nothing to do with the upgrade. You can shove a TIM Italy SIM in it. TIM has nothing to do with the upgrade...

Straight Talk is very much a moot point. They are NOT in the upgrade path in any way shape or form.

You can take an ATT One (M8) to China. Get it SIM unlocked from ATT. Have no SIM in it. The moment HTC and ATT approve the upgrade, you can put the device on WiFi and get the upgrade. No SIM required.

If your device is not carrier branded (and you seem unwilling to say), you can use Upgrade Advisor right now and get W10M official.

If your device is carrier branded, you are waiting for that original carrier to approve the official upgrade no matter what SIM is in the device.

If your device is carrier branded and you are tired of waiting for official W10M, you can install Insider App today and get the same build as official by selecting the Release Ring and upgrading. Then check updates and bump up from the entry version to 10586.420 the same as everyone else has...

In the end, you have way more to do with the upgrade than Straight Talk ever could. To use a common phrase: "You're barking up the wrong tree."

Good Luck.

[NOTE]If your phone is on the eligible list and not waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Upgrade Advisor to get the Official release (RTM).

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ[/NOTE]

I do not believe my phone is branded. It was purchased new, not through a carrier, but as far as adding an AT&T branded phone or a non branded, unlocked phone to a ST sim card, it's identical so I'm really not sure. How do I check? I thought the provider would release the updates however, where StraightTalk is known to deny them.

EDIT: In the about my phone I saw RM-940, so I assume I have the AT&T variant. So I take it I'm waiting for AT&T if what you say is correct (and what basically everyone else has ever told me is not, no offense but I've heard this so many times).

As long as I get the upgrade, I'm happy -- I just don't want to be skipped. I hear many people complaining they never get upgrades on StraightTalk, basically ever. The most important thing for me is Edge as the older IE is having issues with some sites.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not believe my phone is branded. It was purchased new, not through a carrier, but as far as adding an AT&T branded phone or a non branded, unlocked phone to a ST sim card, it's identical so I'm really not sure. How do I check? I thought the provider would release the updates however, where StraightTalk is known to deny them.

Go to Settings > Extras & Info...

What does it say for:
  • Manufacturer Name
  • Mobile Operator

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: In the about my phone I saw RM-940, so I assume I have the AT&T variant. So I take it I'm waiting for AT&T if what you say is correct (and what basically everyone else has ever told me is not, no offense but I've heard this so many times).

RumoredNow is right. If its a RM-940 then the software will be released by Microsoft after AT&T's approval since RM-940 runs a AT&T branded firmware.
Go to Settings > Extras & Info...

What does it say for:
Manufacturer Name
Mobile Operator

Doesn't matter, its a RM-940 AT&T variant.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh I didn't run the upgrade advisor app yet. TY for thinking to mention that. I ran it and I got the Win10 update -- updating now.

Sweet! Great phone especially for the used price :)

The ATT approval of the Upgrade just hit the day before I posted to try Upgrade Advisor. Glad you got in.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
The ATT approval of the Upgrade just hit the day before I posted to try Upgrade Advisor. Glad you got in.

I got it on the girlfriend's phone when we set it up back in the end of May. She in turn got me a phone for father's day (I didn't have one for a while since my last one burnt up), and I ran it when I got it, and ended up resetting it which apparently didn't send the update to my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)