How to unlock Lumia 640 gophone, after have used with with H2O

BackToTheFuture

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought a Lumia 640 Gophone, with the intention to unlock it immediately. I took the Gophone sim out of it before turning it on then submitted a non-customer unlock request. Unfortunately, I dropped my current phone and had to put my H2O sim card into the Lumia 640 to use, before receiving the code.

One day later, I got an email from AT&T saying my request was denied because the IMEI is associated with another customer's account - I guess because H2O is an AT&T MVNO.

I repaired my main phone, removed sim card from the 640 and tried submitting the unlock request again, but this time my request is denied immediately by the website, because of the same reason as above: "Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:Your device is currently active on another AT&T customer’s account."

Can anyone tell me how to get around it to unlock my 640? Or some reasonable unlocking service (< $10)?

Thanks!

(this post was originally posted on Ask a Question, but didn't get any response).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same thing happen by inserting a Cricket SIM.

I was advised on a very long ATT Customer Support call that you have to get the carrier (in your case H2O) to disassociate the IMEI from your account with them.

I've not bothered since Cricket is my provider and I'm using the 640. I simply marked my calendar for 6 months and will try again. I believe any paid unlock service will fail. I think they just use the consumer method and take money from people who don't know what hoops to jump through.

BackToTheFuture

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I talked to the H2O CS to clear my IMEI already, but he seemed clueless about what I was telling him :confused:
I had my 920 unlocked long ago (the drop damaged its SIM tray corner, replaced with a Cyan housing), just bought the 640 to check out W10M (awesome btw). I want to unlock the 640 to use as backup during my travel, given this situation I might have to go for a premium unlock service, e.g those $20 ones on eBay. It still sucks, 'cause I got the 640 for $50 new.

Update: I returned the 640 with a small loss, and bought another unlocked 640 off eBay. I might buy a 1520 in the future. If W10M is already this good on the 640, it must be flying on the 1520.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon