Lumia 950 XL Amoled Smearing

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I found another problem with display on lumia 950 XL - smearing when scrolling dark gray elements/options mainly on low brightness in dark room. The gray will kind of turn a lil' bit purple/blue or something like that.

For example here is test picture:

Set brightness to 15% or so, go to dark room an scroll that picture to see if you got same problem.
Have I defect display or its normal?

7c49c58.png

Last edited:

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
it does the same on my lumia 950xl, both the one I have and the one I replaced (for other reasons) so I don't think it's a defect

I think it's because of the amoled screen, read many topics about smearing for other phone brands/models that use amoled

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
it does the same on my lumia 950xl, both the one I have and the one I replaced (for other reasons) so I don't think it's a defect

I think it's because of the amoled screen, read many topics about smearing for other phone brands/models that use amoled

Hi. And have you this problem too?
In dark room set brightness to 15% or so and open something with gray background (setting have gray bg)
picture left is 15% right 100%
View attachment tint.jpg

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
yes, I used the very first picture you attached (the one with the horizontal bars all zoomed in) and I can definitely confirm it does the same on my 950xl as well

As I said with my previous 950xl I noticed this as well, when I was using nextgen reader, scrolling up and down made text color change a little especially when in dark environment. It doesn't really affect me though because I don't really notice it anymore

I can read online users with other phones (Samsung, etc) detecting the same situation you are talking about and specifically addressing this to the amoled screen

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
yes, I used the very first picture you attached (the one with the horizontal bars all zoomed in) and I can definitely confirm it does the same on my 950xl as well

As I said with my previous 950xl I noticed this as well, when I was using nextgen reader, scrolling up and down made text color change a little especially when in dark environment. It doesn't really affect me though because I don't really notice it anymore

I can read online users with other phones (Samsung, etc) detecting the same situation you are talking about and specifically addressing this to the amoled screen
are you noticing that green tint on gray backgrounds when you have low brightness?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site

I think it's because of the AMOLED technology yeah. I've had the smearing on every phone that carried AMOLED screens. Like the Note 4, NL822, 950, 950XL.

Also, funky effect when you hold it in direct sunlight - has a purple glow to it *but* your shadow makes the screen look normal. very trippy effect

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I think it's because of the AMOLED technology yeah. I've had the smearing on every phone that carried AMOLED screens. Like the Note 4, NL822, 950, 950XL.

Also, funky effect when you hold it in direct sunlight - has a purple glow to it *but* your shadow makes the screen look normal. very trippy effect

Thanks and what about that green tint in photo above? can you see that on your device?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's a combination of things. One, the default software calibration on the 950XL is off. According to GSMarena at least. You can calibrate it better in the extras > Color profile settings. I change mine in advanced to work the way I like it.

There's also the fact that it's a diamond matrix pentile display. There's larger blue oleds surrounded by smaller red/greens. This also has to be taken into account when calibrating.

Anyways, there's also firmware/software algorithms that are used in order to increase lifetime of the screen. Sometimes they track voltage used of oleds over time and try to even out voltage to compensate which would not be noticeable on regular images but may be on dark screens. But what MS is doing there is anyones guess. But given how I run this thing constantly since release and still haven't gotten burn-in the display seems pretty good.

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
When I tried yesterday I used the picture you posted earlier and saw purple appearing on the bars when scrolling. Will try again later on to confirm.

try to open setting there is gray bg

I dont know if refund and buy another device will help

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have tried now on the settings page but not in a dark room and it seems pretty ok

will try again in dark room later on, the smearing when scrolling the first image you posted in this topic was 100% clear, in the settings page I didn't see anything unusual (again NOT in a dark room)

is this occurring only with low luminosity?

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
ok I can confirm using the picture you posted at the beginning in a dark room and lowering luminosity I can see the smearing

It is purple on the grey bars

raising luminosity or turning on the lights makes it much more difficult to spot (even though it's still there now that I pay attention)

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have that when the brightness is really low. Had that on my Note 4 and NL822 as well. Was pretty worried about ti back then but I guess the technology isn't perfected yet like LCD is

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I have that when the brightness is really low. Had that on my Note 4 and NL822 as well. Was pretty worried about ti back then but I guess the technology isn't perfected yet like LCD is

Me too, when the brightness is about 15% or lower. But I dont understand why is that green tint appears on gray background only.
I google for this problem and all I found was pink tint on amoled but no mention green tint...

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ok I can confirm using the picture you posted at the beginning in a dark room and lowering luminosity I can see the smearing

It is purple on the grey bars

raising luminosity or turning on the lights makes it much more difficult to spot (even though it's still there now that I pay attention)

Are we still talking about that green tint which is in second picture?

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
It's a combination of things. One, the default software calibration on the 950XL is off. According to GSMarena at least. You can calibrate it better in the extras > Color profile settings. I change mine in advanced to work the way I like it.

There's also the fact that it's a diamond matrix pentile display. There's larger blue oleds surrounded by smaller red/greens. This also has to be taken into account when calibrating.

Anyways, there's also firmware/software algorithms that are used in order to increase lifetime of the screen. Sometimes they track voltage used of oleds over time and try to even out voltage to compensate which would not be noticeable on regular images but may be on dark screens. But what MS is doing there is anyones guess. But given how I run this thing constantly since release and still haven't gotten burn-in the display seems pretty good.

Have you that same green tint on grays?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you that same green tint on grays?

I tested smearing. That does exist only on the EDGE of the gray while scrolling. And that's because it uses the diamond pentile arrangement of pixels. In fact if it wasn't for the ultra high pixel density you would be seeing the purples and colours around text and other stuff. You may be able to see it if you use a magnifying glass just on the edges of text without even having to have to scroll. It's designed so amoled lasts longer but isn't noticeable for the most part. But the scrolling of that picture may make it noticeable because of the brightness and interval it refreshes at.

This is an image from the Galaxy S6 edge which uses a similar display. Upclose chrome logo. You'll notice the colouring around the gray, though it's not noticeable with the eye due to high amount of pixels.

Capture.JPG

As far as the Gray's looking green, I don't have that issue. I tested it on the "standard" colour profile and my advanced one. So that one I can't really replicate. I'm on the latest firmware and latest redstone build.

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I tested smearing. That does exist only on the EDGE of the gray while scrolling. And that's because it uses the diamond pentile arrangement of pixels. In fact if it wasn't for the ultra high pixel density you would be seeing the purples and colours around text and other stuff. You may be able to see it if you use a magnifying glass just on the edges of text without even having to have to scroll. It's designed so amoled lasts longer but isn't noticeable for the most part. But the scrolling of that picture may make it noticeable because of the brightness and interval it refreshes at.

This is an image from the Galaxy S6 edge which uses a similar display. Upclose chrome logo. You'll notice the colouring around the gray, though it's not noticeable with the eye due to high amount of pixels.

View attachment 126899

As far as the Gray's looking green, I don't have that issue. I tested it on the "standard" colour profile and my advanced one. So that one I can't really replicate. I'm on the latest firmware and latest redstone build.

Yesterday I tried Lumia 925 and it had same green tint on grays actually it started change tint at higher brightness than mine 950XL.
Well when you dont have this issue I think all devices with that tint is defective.
Are you in the latest insider preview?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I tried Lumia 925 and it had same green tint on grays actually it started change tint at higher brightness than mine 950XL.
Well when you dont have this issue I think all devices with that tint is defective.
Are you in the latest insider preview?

Yes latest. Have you tried changing different color profiles under extras>color profile?
Might be in some weird state. Try a soft reset as well.

How long have you had it? Do you leave screen on a lot? Does it stay on at high brightness often? With Oled you should keep it off when you're not using it. The blue OLEDs burn out quicker over time. If you do a white background does it look fine? I mean you could use WDRT to do a reset on the unit and see if that helps.

Your system settings do look weird. It doesn't even have any of the icons and the screen shouldn't be gray but either black or white. I had to test on a gray picture because my settings is completely black in dark mode or white in light mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)