Lumia 950XL strange behavior

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought lumia 950XL when it was first released. At that time it was only sold through Microsoft store online. I found out that when I turn the power off, the 3 on screen navigation key turn on then battery become hot, the 3 key stay light up, and I have to keep hold the power key to force the phone tunn on again, then battery drop almost 3-4 percent in less than 2 minutes, at that rate 30 minutes would down 20-30%. I contacted support and they told it could be a hardware problem and at time Microsoft halted sales because of untold hardware problem, only option is return the handset.

I couldn't wait so I bought one ebay. It is a HK version single sim. I found the same problem again. I contacted support and they said it is HK version not supported in US. HK supported I have to ship it to HK shipping then send to repair center. The problem there is not only high shipping cost, the process would take long time.

Last week I went to a Microsoft store in a mall. I told them the problem, and they nicely give me new US unit and took my HK version. At the store the phone was charging use charger from the box, the has no problem.

This time again the I found same problem on the 3rd unit.

This is really strange. At home, I always charge the phone on PC use this cable came with a USB type C hard drive enclosure. I charged the phone with charger come with box, the phone would turn off completely, battery stay cold. I don't know what happened. Then I used the USB cable from the box, plug on PC, the phone would turn off completely no problem.

The phone behave like this because of the cable or it designed this way? or is it bug?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
For phone 1 you described a set of defects but for phone 3 you said same defects were noticed but then you ask questions on some other defects like charging etc.
  • if all 3 phones behaved as 1 with 3 lights on while phone off then phone is defective IF after a hard reset still behaves that way.
  • charging phone from MS charger is quicker than PC USB because MS charger has 3A output much higher than PC USB.
  • IMPORTANT: Make sure buy and use couple of extra USB cables for 950XL because I found some cables or some connections are unreliable, for example my good cable if connected to a different PC USB then PC does not discover the phone.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
For phone 1 you described a set of defects but for phone 3 you said same defects were noticed but then you ask questions on some other defects like charging etc.
  • if all 3 phones behaved as 1 with 3 lights on while phone off then phone is defective IF after a hard reset still behaves that way.
  • charging phone from MS charger is quicker than PC USB because MS charger has 3A output much higher than PC USB.
  • IMPORTANT: Make sure buy and use couple of extra USB cables for 950XL because I found some cables or some connections are unreliable, for example my good cable if connected to a different PC USB then PC does not discover the phone.

But why would the 3 button light up after shutdown ?

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Does it happen even after a hard reset?

what's the difference hard reset and soft reset ? I did soft reset from inside the system under about menu.

I don't think 3 of them are all defect. The phone should completely power off after shutdown. when the 3 button light up and stay on, the phone is still on, operating system is off, the lights drain battery. I can check the power by slide my finger on the lights after shutdown, or press the power button, the lights come on. if the power shutdown down completely, the lights would not come on even I slide on the lights or press power button. sometimes, the light will come after shutdown, then go off after few minutes then power turn completely off, sometimes it does not.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
what's the difference hard reset and soft reset ? I did soft reset from inside the system under about menu.

I don't think 3 of them are all defect. The phone should completely power off after shutdown. when the 3 button light up and stay on, the phone is still on, operating system is off, the lights drain battery. I can check the power by slide my finger on the lights after shutdown, or press the power button, the lights come on. if the power shutdown down completely, the lights would not come on even I slide on the lights or press power button. sometimes, the light will come after shutdown, then go off after few minutes then power turn completely off, sometimes it does not.

Do you have an SDcard in the phone? It's possible you have a defective SDcard that is causing issues. Remove it and try again.

Another thing you can do is download Windows Device Recovery tool and connect phone to PC and recover. Once you are done don't restore any backups. Go to store get all updates. Then go to phone update in settings and get it on the latest version. Then make sure store is again up to date.

Use only USB cable provided in box.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you have an SDcard in the phone? It's possible you have a defective SDcard that is causing issues. Remove it and try again.

Another thing you can do is download Windows Device Recovery tool and connect phone to PC and recover. Once you are done don't restore any backups. Go to store get all updates. Then go to phone update in settings and get it on the latest version. Then make sure store is again up to date.

Use only USB cable provided in box.

sd card causing problem? I had the same sd card used in nokia 15210 inserted into the first 950xl unit I had (had same issue).

when I use windows device recovery tool, when it download and ready to install the latest update, it says the phone will switch into flashing mode, then the phone turn off and turn back on, the Microsoft logo stay on, after long time, recovery tool says failed, the phone stay freeze, then I have to force the phone to power on again. it would not go into flashing mode. I tried it many times.

I flashed latest firmware and check with recovery tool. it is latest on server.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
sd card causing problem? I had the same sd card used in nokia 15210 inserted into the first 950xl unit I had (had same issue).

when I use windows device recovery tool, when it download and ready to install the latest update, it says the phone will switch into flashing mode, then the phone turn off and turn back on, the Microsoft logo stay on, after long time, recovery tool says failed, the phone stay freeze, then I have to force the phone to power on again. it would not go into flashing mode. I tried it many times.

I flashed latest firmware and check with recovery tool. it is latest on server.

Well this specific issue for flashing seems to indicate a bad USB cable. Did you use the one from the box?

In regards to the on-screen buttons staying illuminated. I'm not sure I follow what the issue is. Is it possible for you to post pictures/video of the issue? If my screen is on and I tap the power button it briefly goes black and then glance screen turns on (you're not referring to glance when saying they stay illuminated, correct?). If I tap the power button after glance screen is on I am greeted with the lock screen and the 3 buttons on the bottom.
Are you saying that if your screen is on and you tap the power button the screen is completely black except for the back, start, and search buttons? And those never go away? Also, what happens if you let the screen timeout. Does it display the 3 on-screen buttons still as well? if you cover the proximity sensor when those 3 buttons are illuminated like in your described issue, what happens?

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Well this specific issue for flashing seems to indicate a bad USB cable. Did you use the one from the box?

In regards to the on-screen buttons staying illuminated. I'm not sure I follow what the issue is. Is it possible for you to post pictures/video of the issue? If my screen is on and I tap the power button it briefly goes black and then glance screen turns on (you're not referring to glance when saying they stay illuminated, correct?). If I tap the power button after glance screen is on I am greeted with the lock screen and the 3 buttons on the bottom.
Are you saying that if your screen is on and you tap the power button the screen is completely black except for the back, start, and search buttons? And those never go away? Also, what happens if you let the screen timeout. Does it display the 3 on-screen buttons still as well? if you cover the proximity sensor when those 3 buttons are illuminated like in your described issue, what happens?

Most like the problem is USB cable. I cannot test the flashing now because the recovery tool show it has last software installed, I do not need to reinstall it now.

I just tried one charge with the other cable, (not MS box cable), the problem came again. see attached pic. As the phone shutdown, greeted with good bye, when I flip on finger on bottom of the screen, the 3 keys ( back, windows, search) light up, stay illuminated, when I click on power button, screen become black, press power key again, lights on again. The back cover stay warm, because light draining battery.

Attachments

• DSC03231-min.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03232-min.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC03233-min.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03234-min.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 7

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried charging the phone with another charger or another socket? This looks to me like the charging cable not supplying enough voltage to the phone to charge.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried charging the phone with another charger or another socket? This looks to me like the charging cable not supplying enough voltage to the phone to charge.

not supplying enough voltage ? the cable is pluged on USB 3.0 port. Full charge from 1% to 100% take exactly 150 minutes. File transfer is normal too.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
not supplying enough voltage ? the cable is pluged on USB 3.0 port. Full charge from 1% to 100% take exactly 150 minutes. File transfer is normal too.
Something doesn't feel right. You meant it charges and operates alright before you start charging it on your PC or using a particular cable. Have you tried charging it somewhere else? BTW I own a 950 XL as well.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Something doesn't feel right. You meant it charges and operates alright before you start charging it on your PC or using a particular cable. Have you tried charging it somewhere else? BTW I own a 950 XL as well.

I used this cable for 3 of the same phone. 3 of them had same problem. This is cable from a USB type C hard drive enclosure.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I used this cable for 3 of the same phone. 3 of them had same problem. This is cable from a USB type C hard drive enclosure.

That's what I meant, either all the 3 devices you owned had the same problem (possible) or something is wrong with the USB cable.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Most like the problem is USB cable. I cannot test the flashing now because the recovery tool show it has last software installed, I do not need to reinstall it now.

I just tried one charge with the other cable, (not MS box cable), the problem came again. see attached pic. As the phone shutdown, greeted with good bye, when I flip on finger on bottom of the screen, the 3 keys ( back, windows, search) light up, stay illuminated, when I click on power button, screen become black, press power key again, lights on again. The back cover stay warm, because light draining battery.

Wait a minute.... You're trying to shut the phone down? You have a message come up that says goodbye and then the screen goes black? But if you flick up for the buttons and they show up? If all of that is the case, then yeah I have the exact same thing on my phone.

It's not really an "issue" but just not clear to the user when the phone is completely off. It takes a good 5-10 minutes for the phone to completely shut off. Also, of note is that on Redstone builds this has been "fixed" by keeping the message goodbye on the screen until the phone has finished shutting off. It's just a software thing really.

Now my next question, why are you trying to shut your phone completely off?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Wait a minute.... You're trying to shut the phone down? You have a message come up that says goodbye and then the screen goes black? But if you flick up for the buttons and they show up? If all of that is the case, then yeah I have the exact same thing on my phone.

It's not really an "issue" but just not clear to the user when the phone is completely off. It takes a good 5-10 minutes for the phone to completely shut off. Also, of note is that on Redstone builds this has been "fixed" by keeping the message goodbye on the screen until the phone has finished shutting off. It's just a software thing really.

Why not? I shut my phone off every night. I don't leave it running. Maybe that's why I don't get as many problems as other people hehe.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

It takes a good 5-10 minutes for the phone to completely shut off.? when I use the USB cable from MS retail box, after the phone shutdown, it display goodbye, then when I flip my finger on the lights, lights come on, but after 2-3 minutes it will go off, after that the power stay off, lights will not come on when I press power button or touch the lights. But when I use the other cable, the lights stay on when after 5-10 minutes.

I don't know why. The cable can charge the phone and file transfer normal. why would it act that way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa