Dual Sim Question: Do both sims have lte capability?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I ordered one of these after reading both sims can handle LTE. Later, I read in another review that said one of the SIMs was 2G only (Like the older WIN HD). I would like to use a T-Mobile SIM in one slot and a Freedompop (HSPA+ Data only) in the other for when T-Mobile has no signal (Most of my building at work).

Do both sims have 3G/4G/LTE capability? Did I just waste my time and money?

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Both SIMs are LTE capable. But at one time, only will function at LTE speeds while the other one will be reduced to 2G for voice calls. There is an option to choose the data SIM within the options, that one is provisioned for the highest LTE speed and other one automatically to 2G. In your scenario, you'll have to manually set the FreedomPop SIM as the data SIM.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Both SIMs are LTE capable. But at one time, only will function at LTE speeds while the other one will be reduced to 2G for voice calls. There is an option to choose the data SIM within the options, that one is provisioned for the highest LTE speed and other one automatically to 2G. In your scenario, you'll have to manually set the FreedomPop SIM as the data SIM.

That would be much more convenient than physically changing the sim out and loosing voice calls. Thank you that will certainly work well.

Ankush V1

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Both Sim slots ate lte capable but when any 1 sim in any one slot is set to lte , the other sim slot becomes 2g only , not even edge support , only Gprs .
I have tested this on my x150e on win 8.1 and win 10 .

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Both Sim slots ate lte capable but when any 1 sim in any one slot is set to lte , the other sim slot becomes 2g only , not even edge support , only Gprs .
I have tested this on my x150e on win 8.1 and win 10 .

Isn't this the way all phones work?
you have to designate one sim as data sim and that will handle all the data transfer. The other will be used for calls. Calls require only 2G network.
You can't have data transfer enabled on both the sims simultaneously.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the concern is, many Telco's are decommissioning the 2G network and people wants to know if the other sim is able to connect to at least 3G network.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I think the concern is, many Telco's are decommissioning the 2G network and people wants to know if the other sim is able to connect to at least 3G network.

Definitely. It can connect to 3G networks also. When my monthly quota of 4G data is over, I switch to 2nd sim for data which is a 3G connection.
But this Blu Win HD LTE is missing the menu option to manually select the network. In other mobiles, there is an option to select 2G/3G/LTE. But no such option in this BLU phone. With this option, we can test the compatibility of sim cards and mobile networks.

Fudged16

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

On my Win Jr LTE (x130e) in the UK, the SIM which is not acting as the data connection cannot 'see' either 3G or LTE networks. This was tested with the '3' network here, which only uses 3G and above, no 2G service.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
On my Win Jr LTE (x130e) in the UK, the SIM which is not acting as the data connection cannot 'see' either 3G or LTE networks. This was tested with the '3' network here, which only uses 3G and above, no 2G service.

For my use case that is fine I think. Most of the time the T-Mobile SIM will handle voice/text/data. I merely need to use the Freedompop SIM (coincidentally a 3 network SIM that is in roaming mode here in the US) for data while the T-Mobile will still handle calls while I'm at work.

At the moment I have to either physically change SIMs (and loose voice/text) or carry a second data only phone.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

So, effectively, it is a single sim for you? You cannot make voice calls using the '3' sim?

Fudged16

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
So, effectively, it is a single sim for you? You cannot make voice calls using the '3' sim?

I have the '3' SIM set as the data provider with 3G/LTE, which enables voice on that network over the 3G connection and an EE network SIM as secondary for 2G only calls.

If I swap the data provider to the EE SIM, the '3' SIM is without service of any kind.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the '3' SIM set as the data provider with 3G/LTE, which enables voice on that network over the 3G connection and an EE network SIM as secondary for 2G only calls.

If I swap the data provider to the EE SIM, the '3' SIM is without service of any kind.

Strange. Did you talk to EE customer care?
I too have a similar set up - Vodafone on sim 1, LTE ,
BSNL on sim 2, 3G only.
But irrespective of which sim is used for data, I can make voice calls on both sims.

Fudged16

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Strange. Did you talk to EE customer care?
I too have a similar set up - Vodafone on sim 1, LTE ,
BSNL on sim 2, 3G only.
But irrespective of which sim is used for data, I can make voice calls on both sims.

🤔 The '3' SIM only works with a 3G connection for voice. The secondary (non data) SIM in the BLU Win Jr does not provide a 3G service, only 2G. Hence no voice service when the '3' SIM is secondary. '3' stopped providing any 2G fallback some years ago.

Both '3' and EE SIMS provide full service when set as primary data connections.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
�� The secondary (non data) SIM in the BLU Win Jr does not provide a 3G service, only 2G. Hence no voice service when the '3' SIM is secondary. '3' stopped providing any 2G fallback some years ago.

Could be problem with your handset.
I don't think any manufacturer is making a phone with 2G only sim card, even here in India. May be you will find some really cheap phones in Rs 2000 - 3000 range (20GBP to 30GBP). I'll be really surprised if it is true that BLU has made a handset with 2G only sim card, even if secondary sim.

Fudged16

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
The very first post of this discussion says that the original Blu Win HD also only had/has 2G service on the second SIM, so perhaps not so surprising that the Win Jr is the same

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium