W10 update question

HardCache

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
So my daily driver is actually an android, but a while back I picked up a cricket branded Lumia 640 for messing around with. I know that the W10 update is supposed to be available for it, but it never seems to update on wifi. Do I have to have a sim in the phone to get the W10 update? Is there some way to force the update? or is the update for some reason not available on the cricket variant?

Last edited:

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, to get the official update you need to download the 'Upgrade Advisor' app from the store.
Run the app and enable upgrade.
Then check settings > phone update.

HardCache

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
The upgrade advisor always tells me 'good news! you're eligible, and we are working with your mobile operator and manufacturer to make the upgrade available' .... I get the same message I got months ago, but the update never comes.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Then your carrier is currently blocking it, the same as AT&T.
You can still get Win10 mobile via the Windows Insider route.
Is this something you have considered?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cricket has not passed the Upgrade as of yet and may actually not go there at all...

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

Your phone is on the eligible list and you can go Insider on the Release ring. If you want, after Upgrade you may then go to the Production ring
to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

OR, if you stay on Release Ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 640 AT&T Go Phone, which I use on Cricket, just finished downloading and installing Windows 10 mobile via the Windows 10 Update Advisor app.

Cricket is owned by AT&T, by the way.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Now there is a second update to upgrade to Windows 10 mobile 10.0.10586.318.

It appears to have installed successfully.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
10586.318 is where Official is.

Release Ring and made for W10M devices are at 10586.338. I expect Official will get 10586.338 this upcoming Tuesday via WaaS.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the upgrade without reverting to 8.1? I know that at a certain point Microsoft announced that firmware updates could get pushed to phones without leaving the Insider program, but I don't know if anyone has ever seen it happen. I have both a T-Mobile 640 and a Cricket 640 on Release Ring and am wondering if I'll need to use WDRT to get firmware at some point.

Edit: Obviously, this is assuming it eventually comes to carriers other than AT&T. Also, it may be moot, as I am reading that there is no firmware involved in the update.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the upgrade without reverting to 8.1? I know that at a certain point Microsoft announced that firmware updates could get pushed to phones without leaving the Insider program, but I don't know if anyone has ever seen it happen. I have both a T-Mobile 640 and a Cricket 640 on Release Ring and am wondering if I'll need to use WDRT to get firmware at some point.

I was never in the "release ring" and I just got it. The phone came with Windows 8.1. I installed the update advisor app as I did not want to mess around with Windows 10 until Microsoft was confident enough in it to tag it as a "Final Release". So today I ran the update advisor again after reading this forum and it (finally) started the download of Windows 10.

So far I have not done a "hard reset" and it appears to be working fine, although I have not been into all the nooks and crannies the way that many of you apparently have.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 640 AT&T Go Phone, which I use on Cricket, just finished downloading and installing Windows 10 mobile via the Windows 10 Update Advisor app.
Cricket is owned by AT&T, by the way.

The determining factor in which party is responsible for releasing the upgrade to the public is which branded ROM is installed on your phone, not which network you are using. AT&T just released the Windows 10 upgrade for their version of the 640, but the OP was asking specifically about the Cricket version of the phone. I haven't seen any information about Cricket-branded phones receiving the upgrade yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes