Recommendation for Italian SIM card (vacation)

John D Griffith

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm going to Italy (Campania) for a vacation (holiday) with a dual SIM 950XL bought from MS in the USA. Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with any of the Italian mobile phone networks on a Lumia 950XL. Last time I was there, I used TIM, but I used a Symbian phone.

Any experience with LTE APN settings would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
As Italian, I can suggest you any of real carrier (TIM, Vodafone, Wind) but not 3 due to expensive roaming costs.
Everyone of the suggested got 4G, and each SIM holds (or downloads) APN settings

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
John, who is your carrier?

When my wife and I went to Italy for 32 days in the fall of 2014 we were on T-Mobile. We used their free data and SMS when traveling to have H+ data and texts right from the moment we touched ground over there. I also threw $10 in Skype for phone calls back to the US and still returned home with a $5 balance (that does not expire). My 1520 and her Galaxy Note 2 both worked great there and we sucked up a lot of free data and used SMS to chat with each other as needed. We were in Venice, Florence, Rome and all over Campania from Naples to Herculaneum/Pompei/Vesuvius to Sorrento and along the Amalfi coast.

Never had a problem and never spent a penny for phone outside of the Skype calling. Never had to fiddle with settings. It just roamed seamlessly.

In Sorrento, be sure to try the Blu Water. We went there for my birthday and I had the Bistecca Blu Water, a generous and tender steak served with king prawns in a delicate garlic olive oil sauce that was one of the best steaks I ever had and the king prawns were done to perfection.

My wife had the gnocchi at Blu Water and it was the best we'd tasted when traveling through Italy

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&t...354x525474697~&cp=40.626991~14.37293&v=2&sV=1

John D Griffith

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile USA, but I have the $3/month plan with no data since I am mostly at home or in the office where I have wifi. When I need data, I buy a 1 week pass for USD 10.00 - it's good for data on the T-Mobile network only, probably USA only (I'm not sure). I generally, get voice service on this plan when I am abroad automatically but I would like a local phone number and data while I am in Italy. It's the dual SIM phone.

Since I have Office 365, I have 60 Skype minutes/month on my phone. I've used Skype extensively when travelling.

Our plan is a 1 week walking tour of the Amalfi coast, then to visit Naples/Herculaneum/Pompeii/Vesuvius from a base in Sorrento. After this, we plan one day in Paestum to see the Greek temples. We will be there in September for two weeks. I was able to get an quite inexpensive business class fare on United a few weeks ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro