Trying to Convert a friend from Android to 950xl

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Like lagging in games? Seriously? This puppy can run games both in continuum and on my phone at the same time with no lag. I'm talking asphalt 8 on my phone while I play world of tanks or anything else on continuum.

Well I am talking about CSR Racing and it has/had serious lagging issues (also on other 950XL)

Messenger reload which one? The beta? I don't seem to be affected.
Facebook, definitely has issues with posts but it's not the official app. Probably better to just use the webpage.

Another App... Whatsapp...if you want to send a video, you have to stay in the app otherwise it starts sending it over and over again....

Messenger/not the beta: Every time when I am going into the app it says syncing or connecting to the servers, sometimes for minutes (does not matter if I am on a 100MBit Line, or LTE, or different networks) even after hard reset

Also depends what version of the software you are running. I'm on redstone and while I don't suffer some of the issues you mention I do get random app crashes.

I am on : OS: 10.0.10586.318
Firmware: 01078.00038.16082.36032

It still has a long way to go and that's probably why MS is waiting for redstone 2 to release their new phone.

As I heard Microsoft has sold his Phone-department/division...so new phone is unlikely

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft makes such an app for Android users, it's in the play store.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Any link?

Swapped to Android last Thursday and already miss my Lumia 930s (I have two of those). But since Microsoft is not gonna reveal what they're gonna do with their phones in the future and the amount of Windows Phone apps is collapsing all the time, I decided to pull the plug after 10 years of Windows Phones/Mobiles.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I really loved my 1520. It's still a great phone. I like it better than the Nexus 6P that I'm not using. I left purely for the app gap. You aren't going to be able to make that up with windows phone in the current climate. Honestly I'd have stuck with Windows phone if they'd have worked with Google apps better. The lack of Google app integration (not Microsoft's fault) and the app gap really cripples the phone. I still keep my 1520 around and even pop my sim in it and drive it around because I like it so much. It's a shame that the apps just aren't there.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I am talking about CSR Racing and it has/had serious lagging issues (also on other 950XL)

Another App... Whatsapp...if you want to send a video, you have to stay in the app otherwise it starts sending it over and over again....

Messenger/not the beta: Every time when I am going into the app it says syncing or connecting to the servers, sometimes for minutes (does not matter if I am on a 100MBit Line, or LTE, or different networks) even after hard reset

I am on : OS: 10.0.10586.318
Firmware: 01078.00038.16082.36032

As I heard Microsoft has sold his Phone-department/division...so new phone is unlikely

*Never tried CSR racing so can't say
*Whatsapp is another app that is not made for windows 10 so you're going to have issues.
*MEssenger not made for windows 10, you can try the beta, but that may give you other issues, though some people have been enjoying it. Has way more features.
*Ahh you're on the production build and i'm on redstone. While redstone has cooler features and better in general, it's not exactly stable. For instance I went to my phone and noticed it had rebooted for no reason. Wha? Hopefully they start ironing it out because it's getting close to the release date.

MS is going to be building some device that has cellular connectivity. Not sure if it will be considered a phone, but will have phone features. And it will not be available through carriers or anything just directly from MS and likely at a premium price. The OEMs will likely copy whatever they release and start releasing their own variants.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
*Never tried CSR racing so can't say
*Whatsapp is another app that is not made for windows 10 so you're going to have issues.
*MEssenger not made for windows 10, you can try the beta, but that may give you other issues, though some people have been enjoying it. Has way more features.
*Ahh you're on the production build and i'm on redstone. While redstone has cooler features and better in general, it's not exactly stable. For instance I went to my phone and noticed it had rebooted for no reason. Wha? Hopefully they start ironing it out because it's getting close to the release date.

MS is going to be building some device that has cellular connectivity. Not sure if it will be considered a phone, but will have phone features. And it will not be available through carriers or anything just directly from MS and likely at a premium price. The OEMs will likely copy whatever they release and start releasing their own variants.

Yes this is exactly the problem....you will have problems with the most basic and required apps.

- Whatsapp/messenger are both windows 10 compatible (should not be a problem at all)

I just got my HTC 10 (no ad) and its good to be back on Android again...without any problems.... I just hope that the audio recording would be the same if not better..

So I am already selling my 950 XL .... if someone wants it, Germany as location....

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What limitations on Continuum?

Works for me pretty damn good.
And no, I don't have the dock yet.
It is a bit slow over wireless, but that is to be expected, still works.

It isn't available for all Windows Mobile devices. You probably have a Lumia 950 or 950 XL.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Maps in W10M with first class offline capability is more normal to me. :)

And what do you mean "no normal youtube apps?" What's wrong with myTube, Tubecast, MetroTube, etc.? Many folks commented they like these over Google's YouTube app on Android.

You realize Google Maps has offline capability?

I have used the youtube apps and used to like MyTube, but it isn't better than YouTube on Google. I don't know why none of the apps can minimize the video while you search other videos to watch. Maybe the only thing better in MyTube is downloading the videos or audio.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
NAh :) I don't think so :)

Who knows maybe now that Nokia will be back in business they will release a device which will be just perfect for my needs.

Genio88

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Funny, i switched from my Lumia 950XL to an android Leeco Le 2(awesome chinese phone), cause i was sick tired of the lack of apps, the lack of updates for the apps that are available, the Windows10 mobile bugs, the wifi/bluetooth connection issues and also the cheap feeling of the 950XL polycarbonate body. I guess you won't be ble to convince your friend, also if you really are his friend you shouldn't advice him a windows phone

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
You realize Google Maps has offline capability?

I have used the youtube apps and used to like MyTube, but it isn't better than YouTube on Google. I don't know why none of the apps can minimize the video while you search other videos to watch. Maybe the only thing better in MyTube is downloading the videos or audio.
W10/W10M native Maps app has Offline Maps integrated at OS level, Worldwide.

myTube! is much better than official YT apps on other platforms (UI, performance and smoothness, features, download and background/lockscreen capabilities etc).

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
W10/W10M native Maps app has Offline Maps integrated at OS level, Worldwide.

myTube! is much better than official YT apps on other platforms (UI, performance and smoothness, features, download and background/lockscreen capabilities etc).

I used Perfect Tube yesterday, and it was pretty impressive also.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Funny, i switched from my Lumia 950XL to an android Leeco Le 2(awesome chinese phone), cause i was sick tired of the lack of apps, the lack of updates for the apps that are available, the Windows10 mobile bugs, the wifi/bluetooth connection issues and also the cheap feeling of the 950XL polycarbonate body. I guess you won't be ble to convince your friend, also if you really are his friend you shouldn't advice him a windows phone

Little bit extreme there, don't you think? - "also if you really are his friend you shouldn't advice him a windows phone". Shouldn't that be up to the person he is advising to decide? I don't think commenting on looking at a windows phone instantly means you are nobody's friend....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is exactly the problem....you will have problems with the most basic and required apps.

- Whatsapp/messenger are both windows 10 compatible (should not be a problem at all)

I just got my HTC 10 (no ad) and its good to be back on Android again...without any problems.... I just hope that the audio recording would be the same if not better..

So I am already selling my 950 XL .... if someone wants it, Germany as location....

Yah they are using a backwards compatibility layer so won't run as well nor support all features.

But congrats. I wasn't a fan of the htc m8 but the 10 at least got rid of that annoying HTC bezel in the front.

And you need to be a better salesperson. "this phone sucks so hard, all these issues, who wants to buy it?" haha.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
The problem is with the backwards compatibility (although in the description says made for windows 10 or something like that) and this is why you cannot stick to the windows phones, it is good at the beginning, something new, something different, but as I stated, I dont want to wait 10-15 seconds just to be able to start one spotify music when it is almost immediately started on an Android phone with the same pricetag... or the problems I stated below.

I had the m7-m8 before, so for me its gooooood :)

If I won't be able to sell the 950XL (which is currently 100% sure cause they don't want to buy it for 300Euro) I am gonna keep coming back and see what's new...

I never said that this phone sucks so hard ...or something like that, it has its issues I don't want to live with (if not necessary)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
This phone (950XL) does what I need well enough for now, and keeps getting better - and like I said before; I seem to always be anticipating the next build (insider) too see whats new, I rarely experience that with an usual purchase; it usual goes something like: after purchase; how long until its obsolete? This purchase has has differently kept me entertained (good and bad).

The fact is I am not used too any other OS, so I KNOW I would get SOOOOOOO frustrated trying to find things on a new OS, and therefore would be presented with the situation of limited app":^) - I will sick with Windows OS; now, that is not to say I wouldn't change hardware, but not the OS.

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
If I won't be able to sell the 950XL (which is currently 100% sure cause they don't want to buy it for 300Euro) I am gonna keep coming back and see what's new...

Maybe now you can try the insider with your 950XL (if you are going to keep it:):):), you always give a pertinent post, so I know your input would be valuable for the rest of us.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately Windows phones as cool as they can be are a dying breed. With Windows phones Microsoft is unfortunately in the same position mac was in the pc world many years ago.....except that windows phones aren't going to make a big surge in market share and become competitive. They are just going to fade away. Its really frustrating to be using a phone you like that is offering less and less and slowly dying. You're best off not trying to convince your friend to change anything...he'll just switch back and get mad at you for wasting his time.

Enjoy your Windows phone experience while you have it :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05