Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
THANKS! The previous versions were indeed on the SD card (with similar names). I moved all the apps published by "Microsoft Mobile" to the phone and then the four problematic apps installed without problem (Motion data required a reboot).

Last thing: quite often when I reboot the phone I get a message that something might be wrong with the SD card. If I check the card on the phone typically it tells me that the problem cannot be corrected but if I do a chkdsk from a computer it typically reports that everything is OK. It looks like the only issue is that the "dirty bit" is set (as reported via a fsutil dirty query). Any idea on preventing this from happening?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For WhatsApp you can perform a backup on the SD card and restore it later in case the update messes up the installation.

Yup, I did that. Phone is updated to W10 10586.107 (first build) and all my apps are updated as well. Before I hard reset I just want to find out if the hard reset will clear out the SD card or not.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
So for my daughter's phone seems to be OK without a hard reset after the initial upgrade. Should I still do a hard reset? It seems fine as of now. I bought the phone used and it was wiped clean with 8.1 Denim Update 2. No issue with contacts as she only has a few and all are accounted for. She's just mad that most of her game saves didn't transfer over and now has to start all over again.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
A hard reset does not clear the SD card unless you explicitly select the option to do so... However once the reset is done Windows phone/mobile will tell you that you need to delete all the apps present on the SD card if you want to install new apps to the card... So to me it looks like the only things you can keep on the SD card during a hard reset are documents/pictures/music and now offline maps. That said power users might know a workaround...

John Hardy IV

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Once you're on W10 Settings / System / About / Reset your Phone (at the bottom). Then when you choose their Microsoft Account to use it will look for their last backup and just use that.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
A hard reset does not clear the SD card unless you explicitly select the option to do so... However once the reset is done Windows phone/mobile will tell you that you need to delete all the apps present on the SD card if you want to install new apps to the card... So to me it looks like the only things you can keep on the SD card during a hard reset are documents/pictures/music and now offline maps. That said power users might know a workaround...
Had that problem, too, with my 640 periodically prompting me to scan the SD card for errors. Unfortunately the only solution I found was the nuclear option: backup the photos/music/docs on SD card to computer, have the phone format the card, put the backup back on the phone, re-download offline maps. Hopefully someone else has a better idea, but I never found one.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If I were you this is the process I would follow:

1) Upgrade to W10 10586.107 (first build)
2) Update apps via Store
3) Update to 10586.318 (latest production build)
4) Hard reset
5) Go through the OOBE setup, update apps
6) Finally start using phone
Does this keep text messages from 8.1? My wife is concerned about losing text history. I played with 10 on my 920 back in the day (reverted to 8.1 after two weeks), but then started my 640 I bought last month on 10 Release Preview, no restore. When it came up, it grabbed my text messages from when my 920 was on 10, but that was it.

Based on that, should there be a step in between 2 and 3 about doing a backup, that way texts get synced to the cloud? Then even after the OOBE, it should restore, right?

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Had that problem, too, with my 640 periodically prompting me to scan the SD card for errors. Unfortunately the only solution I found was the nuclear option: backup the photos/music/docs on SD card to computer, have the phone format the card, put the backup back on the phone, re-download offline maps. Hopefully someone else has a better idea, but I never found one.

Just let him do the file system check. After about 10 minutes it will say that the SD card cannot be repaired.

Now don't do anything and ignore the message ! A few minutes more, and everything is ok again. Apps from SD card can be used and photos reappear.

That's a good example of M$ software quality checks. Or the lack of it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, to get the 318 update after 107, do you use phone update or upgrade advisor again? Thanks

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Just let him do the file system check. After about 10 minutes it will say that the SD card cannot be repaired.

Now don't do anything and ignore the message ! A few minutes more, and everything is ok again. Apps from SD card can be used and photos reappear.

That's a good example of M$ software quality checks. Or the lack of it.

This is true, the problem always went away eventually and never cause any real instability. I just got sick of the messages popping up periodically.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Regarding SD card issues, it appears that Windows phone/mobile reports that the SD card cannot be repaired after the file system check even when there was no error in the first place (just the dirty bit set). In that case it appears that Windows phone/mobile does not reset the dirty bit so it stays set forever. You can see that the dirty bit is set by putting the SD card in computer and typing "fsutil dirty query X:" in a command prompt (where X is the letter for the drive corresponding to the SD card). If the bit is set "chkdsk X: /f" (where X is still the letter for the drive corresponding to the SD card) will remove it.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Regarding 318 update after 107, I just used the Upgrade Advisor once (which seems to set an opt-in flag somewhere). Then I got 107 from phone update. And shortly after installing 107 the phone automatically found the update to 318 and offered to install it.

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Regarding keeping text messages, I got mine back (at least the recent ones/last 30 days). Note that I made an explicit backup (from the Settings app on the phone) prior to starting the upgrade (step 0 if you want) and picked to restore that backup after the hard reset.

EDIT: backing up again between steps 2 and 3 might help getting more than the last 30 days back. I am not sure why the cutoff appears to be 30 days in my case (just backing up at step 0).

Last edited:

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Regarding keeping text messages, I got mine back (at least the recent ones/last 30 days). Note that I made an explicit backup (from the Settings app on the phone) prior to starting the upgrade (step 0 if you want) and picked to restore that backup after the hard reset.
I had also made an 8.1 backup on my 920 before starting my 640 on 10, but I did not restore from backup (I didn't think you were supposed to do that after a hard reset). Any other issues restoring from backup?

I am currently testing upgrading my 920 to 10, just to see if it syncs the texts to my 640 with 10. Then I could reset the 920 to 8.1, restore my wife's backup, get all her texts, upgrade the 920 to 10, then upgrade her 640 to 10, hard reset without restore, and still get texts. RIght? Yay convoluted things!

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well it's a shame for those of us who unbranded their AT&T phone given we can't go back to the original ROM! Ha ha ha!

Gab A

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Regarding WhatsApp... after the hard reset I had to reinstall the app (since existing apps on the SD card have to be deleted). Then I launched WhatsApp, entered my phone number, got a new confirmation code. Then after giving the confirmation code WhatsApp told me it found a backup and asked me if I wanted to restore it. Then it restored everything... I am unclear if the backup it referred to is the Windows phone backup on OneDrive or on some WhatsApp server... but basically it just worked.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

To keep all text messages, make sure the option to back up covers all, not just 30 days. I have messages from my L520 days on 8.0 that successfully showed up on the L640 after the official W10M update.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

To keep all text messages, make sure the option to back up covers all, not just 30 days. I have messages from my L520 days on 8.0 that successfully showed up on the L640 after the official W10M update.
Odd.....I've always had it back up all messages, and the only ones on my 640 W10M were from my two weeks of my 920 on W10M.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, to get the 318 update after 107, do you use phone update or upgrade advisor again? Thanks

After Upgrade Advisor brings you to W10M Official, it is no longer useful and can be uninstalled. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will continue to update your device through the normal OTA method.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Well it's a shame for those of us who unbranded their AT&T phone given we can't go back to the original ROM! Ha ha ha!
Seriously. I forgot that I had cross-flashed to CricKet and was stuck with whatever firmware they'll never bother updating. I really wish firmware was decoupled from the base OS ROM so we could always have up-to-date firmware (where applicable).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05