Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am on Cricket and have 2 AT&T gophones. I followed the instruction in post #26 and now have Windows 10 on both. Yesterday I received notification of the .420 update and updated successfully. I recommend the update.

Welcome to Windows Central, josim.

Hope you are finding everything OK. Glad to hear you like the W10M experience.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else noticed this (yet), but on my AT&T re-branded TMo 640 Wifi calling is finally working.

I'm on .420 btw and I am pretty sure it was this update where this changed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else noticed this (yet), but on my AT&T re-branded TMo 640 Wifi calling is finally working.

!!!

Thanks for this info. Now I'm really tempted to move my sim back into the 640. Actually, I think I will do just that...right now.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

does it still work after a reboot?

the first boot after updates wifi calling usually works.

i started typing out an explanation, but it would be a lot easier/better to just copy/paste from the source

"For those that are interested here is some technical details about the bug. The Lumia 640 shipped with Windows 8.1. It also included a special driver made by a third party that handled the IMS protocol and the communication with the mobile operators ePDG server. That is the server that wifi calling connects to that lets you communicate on their network. This driver starts when the phone boots. When upgrading to Windows 10 the exact same driver starts in the exact same way. However Windows 10 services were modified to boot in a different order in order to increase boot time. The driver was now trying to start before one of the dependent services was initialized. The driver failed an API call to initialized IPSEC which is the security layer used in wifi calling. The driver doesn't retry or attempt to reload later. So it can never initialize Wifi Calling."

the initial boot after an update is so slow that the driver often times starts properly. hence wifi calling works until next reboot

all the above info is thanks to travis (who is a microsoft engineer who works on the product team that owns wifi calling)
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_call/wifi-calling-and-ims-connection-build-10166-and/1ea2a4b5-9b2d-46ad-a3ad-e160686766f4?

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
does it still work after a reboot?

the first boot after updates wifi calling usually works.

i started typing out an explanation, but it would be a lot easier/better to just copy/paste from the source

"For those that are interested here is some technical details about the bug. The Lumia 640 shipped with Windows 8.1. It also included a special driver made by a third party that handled the IMS protocol and the communication with the mobile operators ePDG server. That is the server that wifi calling connects to that lets you communicate on their network. This driver starts when the phone boots. When upgrading to Windows 10 the exact same driver starts in the exact same way. However Windows 10 services were modified to boot in a different order in order to increase boot time. The driver was now trying to start before one of the dependent services was initialized. The driver failed an API call to initialized IPSEC which is the security layer used in wifi calling. The driver doesn't retry or attempt to reload later. So it can never initialize Wifi Calling."

the initial boot after an update is so slow that the driver often times starts properly. hence wifi calling works until next reboot

all the above info is thanks to travis (who is a microsoft engineer who works on the product team that owns wifi calling)
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_call/wifi-calling-and-ims-connection-build-10166-and/1ea2a4b5-9b2d-46ad-a3ad-e160686766f4?

My bad - seems like you are correct. I had rebooted it before my post and I still noticed it still working (and had remembered something about reboots from previous posts I had seen). But just now I powered it off and pulled the battery just to be sure, then powered on. Retried and no more Wifi calling. :(

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 640 wont update a few apps, Lumia Motion Data, Gestures & Touch, Equiliser? , Rate your Device, and Lumia Highlights. Anyone else heave this issue?

amywaco30

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Updated today. Didn't need a hard reset. Everything seems to be working ok!

Follow up to yesterday's post:
Everything is still running smoothly. What I did was
1. Update to 10...107
2. Update all my apps.
3. Update to 10...420
4. Update apps again

And that was pretty much it. No hard reset. All my data carried over. The only app that didn't update was Here maps, but I expected that. MS Maps works fine and I was able to import my Here favorite locations.
At first, it was really laggy (like the first half hour), but now it runs fine. Glance screen works. Double tap to wake works. Build seems stable and fine.

If you are on the fence, go for it. You'll like the upgrade, and you'll be able to access some of the apps that no longer work on 8.1.

Last edited:

Marc Guillet

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Let the batter drain until the phone shuts off. Recharge until it's at 100%. It will recalibrate the battery circuitry. I had bad performance, did as I said and now it's as it was out of the box. A day and a half with moderate use.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Let the batter drain until the phone shuts off. Recharge until it's at 100%. It will recalibrate the battery circuitry. I had bad performance, did as I said and now it's as it was out of the box. A day and a half with moderate use.
Be careful letting the battery get too low. I did this with my 830 and while it was charging and I went to upload a video over whatsapp, it started rebooting frequently; then died.

If your battery is too low and an update reboots the phone, you could brick the phone.

Lloyd Jenkins

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
After I updated to W10 I had no contacts/outlook email/calendar events. I did a soft reset and then it told me I needed an upgrade which I did, after it loaded and installed which took about 20 minutes, after another 5 minutes or so everything came back.
I do have a question though, after the update the onscreen keyboard has what looks like a button between the z and the x. When I push and hold it a little square appears and the keyboard dims. Anyone know what this is for?

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Lloyd Jenkins
You can move cursor (that vertical blinking line) through the typed text with that button. Just push it and right, left, up and down arrows will appear around it. You'll figure it out

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon