Lumia 1520 - How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from 10?

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1520 - How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from 10 ?

Nokia device recovery tool is saying the phone is not supported and the Microsoft device recovery tool only offers me the option to reinstall Windows 10. My device was upgraded to 10 using the Upgrade Advisor app on the phone. As I'm now getting less than half a day battery life running Windows 10 (and that's with countless things disabled to try and improve the issue,) I would like to restore it to Windows Phone 8.1

Any ideas please?

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 - How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from 10 ?

I don't know if it's still available but like on PC with Windows 10 MSFT gave an option to rollback to a previous Windows version for mobile it's in the settings somewhere.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (V10 or 5x)

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

The options allow me to specify a custom package path.
I'm not having any luck finding an 8.1 package download though.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/mobile-devices/lumia-1520
If you keep clicking no when the support pages ask if the steps solved the problem you end up at the recovery tool guide.
When you click no for that guide it suggests booking the phone in for service. :(

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

The Windows Device Recovery Tool will roll your phone back to WP8.1. What makes you think different?

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I let it do it's thing and it has reinstalled Windows Phone 8.1

I hope you'll agree that when it says "you have the latest available" software version, my assumption it would reinstall Windows 10 wasn't that misguided.

To someone familiar with the operating system version numbers I guess it would have been more obvious.

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The phone installed some updates overnight (wish I thought to turn that off) and I haven't connected to Windows Device Recovery to see if there are any changes, but before I brick my phone, can someone explain why I have RM-937 software on my RM-938 phone? I'm assuming this based on the "Manufacturer Name".

1.jpg2.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...can someone explain why I have RM-937 software on my RM-938 phone? I'm assuming this based on the "Manufacturer Name".

Did you get this device from Expansys? If I remember correctly they source their Lumias out of Hong Kong as opposed to B&H Photo who source out of Mexico.

I think Expansys only sold the RM-937.

B&H definitely had the RM-938, that's where I got mine.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I got mine from a Chinese seller on eBay. The first phone was definitely a RM-937 as I couldn't get anything but Edge on T-Mobile. Then I got this phone and it gets the 4G LTE bands. So I'm sure it's 938, but maybe they fiddled with the internals..? No issues with the phone otherwise, just curious about the naming.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I got mine from a Chinese seller on eBay. The first phone was definitely a RM-937 as I couldn't get anything but Edge on T-Mobile. Then I got this phone and it gets the 4G LTE bands. So I'm sure it's 938, but maybe they fiddled with the internals..? No issues with the phone otherwise, just curious about the naming.
And worried that may cause an issue when I roll back to 8.1

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about cross flashing between RM-937 and RM-938... I think it can be done, but I don't know what the consequences are.

Any chance to contact the seller and confirm that is what they did?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they are maintaining the server today...

In the lower right is a link to a "How To"

However, I'd proceed with caution. I'm not sure you should go there yet. Are you positive you want to try getting an RM-938 ROM on this device?

There may be risks.

If so... On the left pane click on RM-938. In the results (middle pane), select "RM-938 VAR LTA 7R CV {Color}" That should be Factory Unlocked Manufacturer Name: RM-938_lta_lta_905 & Mobile Operator: 000-22

[NOTE]Again... I don't know if this will flash to your device or if it will brick it, render the radio inoperable, etc...

Proceed at your own risk.
[/NOTE]

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I chickened out. I want to go to 8.1 and upgrade back to Windows 10 Mobile, but not Insider builds (which I'm running now and are not agreeing with my phone). The "normal" build was running fine. However, when using lumiafirmware.com, under RM-938, I can't find the specific firmware that belongs to my phone. You said to use "RM-938 VAR LTA 7R CV {Color}" but I have no idea if that really belongs to my phone. I do not one to brick it as I have a bricked/dead Lumia 635 that I can't bring back no matter what I do. Tried this website on that too and I keep getting the "WinUSB is busy" error.

Oh well. Why can't the Windows Device Recovery Tool just friggin work!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss