PIN for Hello

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I would like to try Windows Hello, but I have to admit I have never used a PIN or other unlocking systems and take out insurance in being very careful with my phones.

If I set up a PIN to use Hello, can I choose to go back to unlocked without doing drastic things like resetting my phone?

Yes I know I should lock it but.............................

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would like to try Windows Hello, but I have to admit I have never used a PIN or other unlocking systems and take out insurance in being very careful with my phones.

If I set up a PIN to use Hello, can I choose to go back to unlocked without doing drastic things like resetting my phone?

Yes I know I should lock it but.............................

Bob, you also have the option to set up a pin, or pin & iris, AND can deactivate/reactivate either easily, any time you wish, by:

Settings>Personalization>Lock screen>Sign-in options>Require sign-in>"NEVER" (deactivates the a required sign-in), or: "one of the options in the drop down menu" (will reactivate the required sign-in per the option's parameters.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Cheers again, once you set it up you can see the way to take it down again.

And yes it works, neat party trick not sure I will keep on using it, but I have been thinking I should have the phone locked, JUST IN CASE. Will see how I get on.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Cheers again, once you set it up you can see the way to take it down again.

And yes it works, neat party trick not sure I will keep on using it, but I have been thinking I should have the phone locked, JUST IN CASE. Will see how I get on.

Be sure to improve recognition like 3 or 4 times... in different lighting conditions. Normal, outside sunny, dim, pitch black... something like that! :)

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave up on Hello. I've had the phone since 11/25 and it's just a goofy gimmick that doesn't work when you're in a hurry. Great concept, kind of a cool parlor trick, but the implementation and effectiveness leaves much to be desired.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave up on Hello. I've had the phone since 11/25 and it's just a goofy gimmick that doesn't work when you're in a hurry. Great concept, kind of a cool parlor trick, but the implementation and effectiveness leaves much to be desired.

I had almost reached that point of not using it, but I decided to leave it on just because. But I started noticing something interesting. On the latest build and some on the last build, I would type in my passcode but before I could finish the Iris would log me in. Before Hello was rather slow and I could type my PIN faster. So now I've been trying to race the Iris to see if it is faster than me inputting my PIN. I have found as of right now it's about 50/50. Hello has outdone me on several occasions, so the speed might be picking up.

Also, I did the improve recognition at least over 50 times so that might have helped too.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that I have a bad habit, I tend to have my screen slightly tilted, I noticed on improving the recognition a few minutes ago that Iris recognition doesn't really like the top of your head.

Apart from that it has worked fast every time :wink:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that I have a bad habit, I tend to have my screen slightly tilted, I noticed on improving the recognition a few minutes ago that Iris recognition doesn't really like the top of your head.

Apart from that it has worked fast every time :wink:

Yeah, I noticed this too, if you do that recognition re-train a bunch of times, it's a really low angle-of-incidence that works for the IRIS scanner/camera, unfortunately. I wish more thought had gone into this, or maybe it had, and was deemed impractical. You almost have to be dead-on, I'd say any more than 5-10' and it fails. You can verify by going into the recognition app, and looking at what the camera sees.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had almost reached that point of not using it, but I decided to leave it on just because. But I started noticing something interesting. On the latest build and some on the last build, I would type in my passcode but before I could finish the Iris would log me in. Before Hello was rather slow and I could type my PIN faster. So now I've been trying to race the Iris to see if it is faster than me inputting my PIN. I have found as of right now it's about 50/50. Hello has outdone me on several occasions, so the speed might be picking up.

Also, I did the improve recognition at least over 50 times so that might have helped too.

I went back in and did re-train too, not 50, but maybe 10-15 times. It definitely helps, but I can still beat the scanner, I'd say at least 90% of the time. Maybe it's because I have a 4 digit pin, do you have more? Obviously this is a big factor, in terms of "racing the IRIS camera"...
The strange things we never thought we'd be doing with our phones, eh?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I also use a 4 digit pin, but honestly as long as I have remembered to take my glasses off and I am looking straight on, there is no way I could beat the camera.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Weird. I just tried again, and I bet it once, it beat me once (barely), and one was a "tie", it unlocked as I was hitting the final digit.
And no, my PIN isn't 1111, or similar ;-]

Maybe I need to do another 10-15 recognition improvements, I'd sure like it if it beat me more often.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I only use the pin/iris (mostly pin) when I travel in case I lose my phone - but, at home I find it a pain to use, at all.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I went back in and did re-train too, not 50, but maybe 10-15 times. It definitely helps, but I can still beat the scanner, I'd say at least 90% of the time. Maybe it's because I have a 4 digit pin, do you have more? Obviously this is a big factor, in terms of "racing the IRIS camera"...
The strange things we never thought we'd be doing with our phones, eh?

lol, pretty much :) Never thought I'd have a game to play every time I unlock my phone.

I do have a 4 digit pin and maybe it's not exactly 50/50. But it does beat me a lot more than it used to. With a 5 digit pin I think it would beat me about 80% of the time and 6 digit probably 95%.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I also use a 4 digit pin, but honestly as long as I have remembered to take my glasses off and I am looking straight on, there is no way I could beat the camera.

You shouldn't have to take off your glasses. Just use the improve recognition and leave your glasses on when you do it. Then it should detect you either with or without your glasses.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Weird. I just tried again, and I bet it once, it beat me once (barely), and one was a "tie", it unlocked as I was hitting the final digit.
And no, my PIN isn't 1111, or similar ;-]

Maybe I need to do another 10-15 recognition improvements, I'd sure like it if it beat me more often.

For what it's worth, another thing I do when doing the improve recognition is try to make it hard for it to recognize. As in try only having one eye visible, or looking slightly down, up, or to the sides. The trick is to not let it stay in the yellow too long when you do this otherwise eventually it will give up on trying to improve recognition. But if you can find the "edge" of recognition and do those several times it greatly improves.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, another thing I do when doing the improve recognition is try to make it hard for it to recognize. As in try only having one eye visible, or looking slightly down, up, or to the sides. The trick is to not let it stay in the yellow too long when you do this otherwise eventually it will give up on trying to improve recognition. But if you can find the "edge" of recognition and do those several times it greatly improves.

Interesting. I've done the "look to the sides" thing, and held the phone at the max angle-of-incidence for the scanner, but I haven't tried the one-eye deal.
I've definitely gotten improved recognition, but not what I'd call dramatically improved.

That yellow deal is annoying, it totally nukes the recognition app if you let it go. One time, it apparently nuked not only the app, but all my previous recognition too (it made me start all over, no IRIS scans in the system at all), which was really annoying, so now I'm a bit wary of that bug, I don't want to "test" to see if it's still there...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten zero recognition with sunglasses, I take it we're talking about regular glasses in this case?
I wish it could recognize me through my cycling sunglasses, that would be REALLY handy.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my XL a week a go, I use glasses and till now Windows Hello just works way better than I expected, I can't precise but I would say that it hit 90%. I would like though if we have face recognition ( like on the surface pro 4) than Iris recognition, maybe it would be more fast and I would have to look weird with my phone in front of my face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720