Does the 950 NOT Charge Via USB?

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but does the 950 charge over USB? Mine does not appear to, which is HUGELY annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, I'm traveling for work this week to Denver, Colorado. By the time I landed my phone was depleted to about 30 percent battery having been used lightly and off a charger for about seven hours. Taking it out of airplane mode saw the battery life plummet at least 5 percent in 10 minutes, which is alarming, but no worries; I planned to charge it in the shuttle vehicle that was taking me to the hotel I'm staying at.

The trip, in a Chevy Tahoe, was about one and a half hours so my phone should have had ample time to get juiced up via one of the SUV's many USB ports. Except not. I plug it in, the charging icon pops up on the menu bar and lock screen and I figure we're good to go, except by the time I reached my final destination the phone was down to 18 percent battery despite being plugged in for 90 minutes and not being used at all. What gives?

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the cable was not properly in? The charging icon appears as soon as a the phone is connected to a USB-C cable, even though the cable is not connected to a power source, which is pretty annoying and is often the reason for my why it doesn't charge in the car, because sometimes the USB cable pops out of the car charger.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the cable was not properly in? The charging icon appears as soon as a the phone is connected to a USB-C cable, even though the cable is not connected to a power source, which is pretty annoying and is often the reason for my why it doesn't charge in the car, because sometimes the USB cable pops out of the car charger.

I'm pretty sure it was plugged into the vehicle's port properly. As soon as I connected the phone it lit up and the charging icon popped up. Just now I connected the bare USB-C cable and the charging icon DID NOT appear, meaning it must have been plugged in correctly.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
in some cars, the built in USB port isn't designed to well for charging.... had a similar issue with my friend's dodge journey (and various "cheap" chargers)

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I too have had problems charging over a car USB port. The only sure ways I've found to charge are 1) with the AC charger that came with the phone; 2) plugging the USB cable that came with the phone into my Surface dock's USB port (plenty of current); 3) with a wireless charging cradle.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99