RIP: HTC One M8; RIP ('Til we meet again?): Windows Phone

Bryan Leon

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
This weekend, I said goodbye to my beloved HTC One M8. For some reason, not dropped, etc., it died on me. At first, it would still turn on and I would see the HTC logo, but it won't continue booting and just reboot over and over. I tried all possible button combos - nada.

In a way, this got me excited because I can purchase a Lumia phone, which I should have done in the first place. So, gigiddy I went to my go-to place for gadgets - Best Buy. I saw a MS Lumia AT&T GoPhone, that was IT! I was willing to go that route even if I have to switch networks, but after a few minutes of the rep looking for one - NADA! They don't have any on stock.

Not feeling defeated, I went to Verizon store - ZERO MS phones! Went to AT&T, they do have Lumia 950, but they don't have promos to switch and I will have to pay ETF and more in monthly rates. I again just asked for a Windows GoPhone (I just really need a functioning phone), none in stock!

Still feeling hopeful, I went to another Best Buy store and spoke with a rep. The response I got was the nail in the coffin - we only carry the popular ones. :( At that point, two days without a phone, I bit the bullet and bought me an iPhone. I hate it, but I can't be stubborn and stick with WP and not have a phone for a few more days. Plus, the options out there are not even compatible with VZW! Sorry Windows Phone, it's NOT me, it's YOU!

Bryan Leon

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't go on another day without a phone. I was already 2 days in and if I order online, wait for delivery, it's a waste. Only for what? To stick it out with MS? Nah...

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Apparently no MS stores in your area? I'm considering a 735 (to stay on Verizon) when my M8 goes. I was switching carriers for a 950 but . . . I don't know now.

Sent from my Surface 3

Bryan Leon

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I did not think of that, honestly. But then again, the closest one to me is about 20 miles away. I should have tried it though, kind of like an afterthought.

Rich99301

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the One M8 is now showing in the list of smartphones again on the AT&T web site. Retailing for $689. When did it show up again online?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you can switch to AT&T (which owns GoPhone and Cricket) then your options for a WP increase dramatically. Windows Phone's store presence is fading. You can still find a handful of Lumia's at AT&T and Cricket (if you're lucky enough to have one near you). Otherwise your best bet is to buy online.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Apparently no MS stores in your area? I'm considering a 735 (to stay on Verizon) when my M8 goes. I was switching carriers for a 950 but . . . I don't know now.

Sent from my Surface 3

The 735 is too much of a step back from the One. It was barely midrange when it was new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa