Lumia 640 questions

Dinis Figueira

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

Not sure if it's the best place to ask this, but I have some questions about this phone.

I have the phone for about a year, and I'm thinking about upgrading it to windows 10. Is it worth now or should I wait a little more to a more stable version?
Other thing, does this phone has some kinda grip cover and something like 1020 had? To improve photography and stuff. Since this phone takes great photos for it's price, It would be awesome to upgrade it to a more "advanced point and shoot" style.

Thanks you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Eh, Windows 10 performs well for the most part but some of the smaller functions were too unreliable for me to live with. But plenty of people enjoy it as their daily driver, so I'd say be ready to hard reset your phone if anything goes wrong and upgrade. (if it doesnt perform well, first hard reset and try setting up 10 again. If that don't work, use WDRT for and retreat to 8.1)

2. There is no 1020-esque cover for the 640 and I doubt there's anything similar.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been digging W10M on Insider Release since about day 3 of owning my 640. I'm driving it daily right now on 10586.420.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you are going to try it, go with the Release Ring! However, I must warn you that with the latest release, the official instagram app doesn't allow for you to reinstall it. :( I wish that someone told me that beforehand.

Edit: Instagram is working now, not sure what happened here.

Last edited:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I've updated two Lumia 640s to W10m. For the most part, W10m does work well enough, but if I were to be honest, there are still some stuff that just doesn't work right. Take note of the issues below and see if you can accept them before you upgrade.

Issues I've noticed with W10m on the 640 (including, but not limited to):
  1. If you create a Cortana reminder and then tap on that reminder from within Outlook calendar, it will crash to the Start screen. Edit: this has finally been fixed in a recent update for Outlook (17.6965.40902.0).
  2. HDR photos don't save correctly sometimes when the save location is set to the SD card. It's a little better when you save on the Internal storage, but it's still a crapshoot. You might end up with a 1280x720px non-geotagged photo. Yes, even at .420.
  3. Ditto for Living Images, except you just end up with a still image. You know the photo saves correctly when the photo is around 3-5 MB. If it's just around 2MB, Living Images most likely didn't save right.
  4. Swiping in Edge or the Photos app, for example, is jerky. You'll see the contents kind of chug and snap back and forth. Although, last time I tried Redstone a month ago, I noticed that the jerky scrolling has been fixed.
  5. Compass mode in Windows Maps doesn't work yet. No word on when they're gonna fix it. Compass mode does work in HERE maps, but keep in mind that the HERE suite will cease to function on W10m in just two more weeks.
  6. Tapping on an email notification never opens up that email in Outlook. Edit: it does open if you first expand it in the Action Center. If you don't, it just takes you to the inbox.
  7. If you set the Start screen to be a tiled background instead of a fullscreen background, and then you set a new background image from within the Photos app, it will switch back to a fullscreen background. Not a big deal, but it is a little annoying if you like the tiled background.

Otherwise, yeah, I haven't experienced any random reboots, inexplicable battery drains, lock-ups, missed phone calls, etc.

Last edited:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Ditto here. But I only ran the official updates. The only issue I had was having to install touch then reinstall to get it to not show as pending in my all apps screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss