Outlook takes me to the store

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Clicking on the calendar also takes me to the store. I can't delete the app and reinstall. I'd rather not hard reset. Any ideas?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I suppose you already checked for updates? I know they updated Outlook yesterday, given that bug where it was hard to get a new mail to open. The two are installed as a single package, and I know there's a way to force un-install them (together), I'm just not finding the link.
I bet if you can re-install them, it'll all go back to normal. I sympathize, I hate doing resets; I often wonder how some up here seem to really enjoy it ;-]

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I reset the phone, spent the better part of the weekend trying to remember passwords to various services. Microsoft please get your stuff together. I've been with Windows Phone since the original Samsung Blackjack on 5.1 this is the worst it has ever been.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, that bites.
I'm avoiding a reset, for as long as possible, until I start to hear some reports that Restore is working again, fully ;-]
I agree, I've also been onboard since that same time, and yep, in terms of stability, it's at an all-time low.
I keep submitting reports, wish they had a better tracking system for these. I know they're getting "bucket-ized" for telemetry, but it sure would be nice to know that *some* of them are resolving...

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
That is a bummer.

However, I would *strongly* (is that a word? ;)) encourage everybody to get your passwords into a password manager with two factor auth. also use this as chance to change them to 20 digit ones, as you seem not to be entering them on a regular basis anyway. And use different ones. You do not need to nkow them. You can also still export them all on paper and store them in a save location. Or on an encrypted USB Stick (better).

All of that is better than using the same passwords on different sites in 2016 and beyond. It is only going to get worse.

Personally, I think Lastpass is a good choice. It is most important to use two factor auth with every service offering it. It is giving so much more securtity. Also do not forget to change the weak and stone-old password to your personal email, as this can be used to reset pretty much everything, usually.

BTT:
For me (Fast ring, 950 XL, Backup that never saw 8.1) Backup and restore is working pretty good. some apps come out of the box like they were, including app data and settings. Nextgen Reader, Twitter, Life360 e.g.. Others need more work, some know nothing. It is up to the developers to have their app data included and it is said to be fairly easy.

It is best practice to start over with Windows 10 once. Like, hard reset and not use a backup to restore, *if* it has ever seen 8.1 or has been carried over from an old phone. The best point in time is, when you get a new windows 10 Phone (550, 650, 950s) and set the new one up side by side with the old one.

For me, I am not seeing any issues with my 950XL in the fast ring, it is all fine (except the known issues), no strange behaviour. And the current Fast Ring / Redstone 1 builds are pretty sweet.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That is a bummer.

However, I would *strongly* (is that a word? ;)) encourage everybody to get your passwords into a password manager with two factor auth. also use this as chance to change them to 20 digit ones, as you seem not to be entering them on a regular basis anyway. And use different ones.
Having done some security work, I love the idea of two-factor, and I use it for a few critical credentials. But, it's a pain, particularly if you're not always where you have cell access, given that WiFi calling is largely non-existant for our phones, so far. Sure, you can do a one-off VOIP deal, but then it's yet another thing to deal with.
I think that using a wireless key-card or chip-card is a better way to, eventually, as that would allow you to have rolling keys stored on it, but not require a text or similar communication, every time you needed to log into a site; data-only access would suffice.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
PGrey, for many services using two factor auth, you can simply use the Microsoft authenticator. It is working fine with Google, Microsoft, Lastpass etc. as it is set on a standard. Here is more information on this, it is all the same :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator . This is generating a code for you every 30 seconds. The code is secure and can not be guessed. Even if somebody gets a hold of your credentials, he can not login and cause you all kind of problems.

For Microsoft, they are having a new authentificator app in beta, which is taking a lot of the pain out of it, as it simply pushes a notification to the phone, allowing you to verify with a single click. For this, you would need a connection (however WiFi would be fine). However, you can always just type the generated code.

You are all grown ups and can decide for yourself. However, reusing the same username / password on multiple sites and not using two factor auth, is really asking for desaster. Other people impersonating you, spending your money, crashing your credit ratings, ruining your reputation, you name it.

Sorry for being completely OT by now, but I am quite passionate about this. Criminals can cause you so much trouble and it is quite easy to not be easy prey.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
PGrey, for many services using two factor auth, you can simply use the Microsoft authenticator. It is working fine with Google, Microsoft, Lastpass etc. as it is set on a standard. Here is more information on this, it is all the same :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator . This is generating a code for you every 30 seconds. The code is secure and can not be guessed. Even if somebody gets a hold of your credentials, he can not login and cause you all kind of problems.

For Microsoft, they are having a new authentificator app in beta, which is taking a lot of the pain out of it, as it simply pushes a notification to the phone, allowing you to verify with a single click. For this, you would need a connection (however WiFi would be fine). However, you can always just type the generated code.

You are all grown ups and can decide for yourself. However, reusing the same username / password on multiple sites and not using two factor auth, is really asking for desaster. Other people impersonating you, spending your money, crashing your credit ratings, ruining your reputation, you name it.

Sorry for being completely OT by now, but I am quite passionate about this. Criminals can cause you so much trouble and it is quite easy to not be easy prey.

Can you use your two-factor solution to access ANY banking site? I can do this, with my institutions (and do), but it requires a text from them, that's their only option.
I don't see many institutions moving to using non-in-house two-factor solutions, at all. I agree, if there was more standardization, then this would become more practical, for most accounts.
As it stands, having to always have cell service just isn't practical, particularly in WA state. I'm often in locations where I have WiFi, but not cell service. In this case, I'd be locked out of any of these apps/accounts requiring two-factor texts.

I'm a HUGE fan of two-factor, but it needs to be made more practical, and standardized.

I had to get my parents set up on two-factor for their bank, and a common, simple interface would have been VERY helpful there.
I had one heck of a time getting them to understand how to use it on their hotmail account for changes, and then we had to start over, with financial institutions, have fun explaining all the different interfaces to non-tech and the older crowd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster