Approx. 1 Week with the 950 XL

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Alright, so it's been about 5 days since I got my 950 XL, and it's been through a bunch of updates and tinkering back and forth between the production and fast-ring insider builds. Here's what I've compiled, being on the latest Insider Fast Build:

Pros:
+Does not get beyond comfortably warm anymore, even for demanding tasks.
+Camera is superb!
+Battery life has improved drastically on this build. Lasts me EASILY a day and a half.
+Iris Scanner is surprisingly good
+General navigation is fluid; only seen one loading screen and that was when the phone first booted up.
+Nice weight to it, and I kinda like the fact that it's not all metal. I don't feel that I have to protect it with a case, or that I have to put a cloth under it when I set it on the table in fear of scratching.
+Excellent screen! One of the best I've ever seen.

Cons:
-Sunlight readability/usability is about as good as my iPhone 6s Plus; i.e., **** poor. Comparing with my Lumia 830 and 1520s, the XL has a noticeably more reflective screen than the other two in direct light, it's as if they omitted a clearblack layer that the Lumia's are known for.
-While the OS is fluid, all builds, I've noticed, have issues with scrolling. In particular, the action center can be quite stuttery when dragging up or down. This was something I noticed on my One M8 and Lumia 830 (surprisingly, not the 1520) and I'm disappointed that this prevails in a much more powerful phone as the XL. Scrolling through the start screen or app lists (the former not having THAT many live tiles) may often produce a noticeably stuttery scrolling. It's certainly not as pronounced as in the One M8 or 830, but still disappointing that this exists. I'm certain it's a W10M problem.
-The buttons, sometimes, I feel that I'm gonna break them when I press them in. They respond as they should and perfectly, but I would've thought they'd feel a BIT sturdier.

That's all the standout stuff that I've been able to note. Otherwise, I'm absolutely adoring this phone!! Of course, if anyone has solutions to the cons above, please feel free to let me know!

bigwils36

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
What build are you on at the moment
Originally posted by jtbarton
Alright, so it's been about 5 days since I got my 950 XL, and it's been through a bunch of updates and tinkering back and forth between the production and fast-ring insider builds. Here's what I've compiled, being on the latest Insider Fast Build:

Pros:
+Does not get beyond comfortably warm anymore, even for demanding tasks.
+Camera is superb!
+Battery life has improved drastically on this build. Lasts me EASILY a day and a half.
+Iris Scanner is surprisingly good
+General navigation is fluid; only seen one loading screen and that was when the phone first booted up.
+Nice weight to it, and I kinda like the fact that it's not all metal. I don't feel that I have to protect it with a case, or that I have to put a cloth under it when I set it on the table in fear of scratching.
+Excellent screen! One of the best I've ever seen.

Cons:
-Sunlight readability/usability is about as good as my iPhone 6s Plus; i.e., **** poor. Comparing with my Lumia 830 and 1520s, the XL has a noticeably more reflective screen than the other two in direct light, it's as if they omitted a clearblack layer that the Lumia's are known for.
-While the OS is fluid, all builds, I've noticed, have issues with scrolling. In particular, the action center can be quite stuttery when dragging up or down. This was something I noticed on my One M8 and Lumia 830 (surprisingly, not the 1520) and I'm disappointed that this prevails in a much more powerful phone as the XL. Scrolling through the start screen or app lists (the former not having THAT many live tiles) may often produce a noticeably stuttery scrolling. It's certainly not as pronounced as in the One M8 or 830, but still disappointing that this exists. I'm certain it's a W10M problem.
-The buttons, sometimes, I feel that I'm gonna break them when I press them in. They respond as they should and perfectly, but I would've thought they'd feel a BIT sturdier.

That's all the standout stuff that I've been able to note. Otherwise, I'm absolutely adoring this phone!! Of course, if anyone has solutions to the cons above, please feel free to let me know!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am two weeks in now and still loving the phone, my only real issue is Groove no longer automatically downloads songs when I add to my collection, but this isn't a 950XL issue as the same is happening on my SP3 and desktop, it only downloads on the device I add the songs to, I then have to download manually on the other two (settings all set to download) .

Got to get a case ASAP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro