Twisted my 950 and cracked the LCD. Word of caution

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Just like the iPhone a few years back this phone can be bent. I had my 950 in my front pocket racing gokarts at a bachelor party. When I got in the cart I put it in my front pocket with the screen against my leg to protect it just in case. Sometime during the racing I must have got hit hard enough (there was a lot of bumping) that it slammed my leg against the seat and twist the phone lengthwise. When I got out to my car I pulled it out to check the time and it acted like it was dead. Then I realized under the glass the lcd was shattered. The glass was unharmed. Upon inspection I could see that the phone was twisted lengthwise. I have a new digitizer, lcd coming to put in it from Amazon and I will not put it in a sturdy case going forward.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It just makes sense when go-karting to take everything out of your pockets and put the stuff somewhere safe. No one really likes spare change or keys hitting them in the face.

I'm not sure that much would have stopped this kind of damage apart from just preventing it in the first place...

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Ya I just didn't think of it until I was strapped in. I checked with everyone else. One guy had a crack in the corner of his glass on an Android phone. The rest were fine. We all agreed we should have thought of it before hand. :(
I think a hard-shell case would have avoided it also.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's also a chance that the phone would be rammed into your gut. That would hurt you a heck of a lot more than the phone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I put it in my front pocket all the time, but when I sit down I always take it out. I'm just super cautious with it. Sometimes depending on the seat i will leave it in. In cars where I can spread my legs and lean back a bit I don't mind. The XL does have a stronger glass though and designed to take a bit of bend.

I'm curious, what do you mean by lcd? These are amoled displays.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I feel for the OP, it's easy to say should have blah blah but in the moment, you're just having fun! No fun to stop and double think everything before you do it :)

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Just got the new screen in from Amazon. It was in the frame so I just had to put my parts in. Works like a top!!!!! BTW it's a T4 Torx for the screws.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Good lesson learned for everyone. These devices can break when subjected to pressure and forces beyond normal usage. Maybe some day we will have devices as strong as steel but not yet.

Glad you were able to repair it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium