Just jumped on the Windows 10 wagon... not sure what took me so long!

dki378

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
First off... it's been almost exactly 2 years since I brought home my Icon. I've never dabbled in the insider stuff until now so my phone has been stock OS for two years now. I was always a bit leary about making the jump to Window 10 for multiple reason, a) seemed awfully confusing with all the different release branches b) sounded like it needed a full hard reset to function properly c) seemed like the battery life was horrible.

I'm please to report that I am really impressed with Win10 and the latest preview build (10.0.10586.420 on the preview build branch... not slow or fast ring). Based on my research, it sounded like the preview builds were the best ones to use as daily drivers and I can see why. Without even trying Win10 after the update, I went ahead and did a hard reset after the last preview build was loaded. I basically went from 8.1 -> Insider preview build 10586.107 and then after that was loaded I checked for more updates and found the 10586.420 build (expecting to see the 10586.318 build that has gotten really good reviews in this forum) It is very solid. It is responsive, and I'm really enjoying some of the changes that were made on Win10. I still haven't had a large sample size with the battery having just completed the update but I spent the entire morning re-loading my apps from the app store and the OS doing it's own updating (gestures, motions, etc) and it was at 50% by lunch time which is really good for my phone at this point. So I fully expect the battery to be on par with what I've come to expect on 8.1.

I really should've jumped sooner now having seen the other side. If you're on the fence like I was don't wait any longer. The Icon on Win10 preview builds rock! I can't wait to keep playing with my phone now. One perk I absolutely did NOT expect to see after the update... Bank of America has a Win10 app!!!! I've waited forever for that one and just got dealt a nice little freebie!

If you're on the fence... don't be... I did it and am glad I did! Happy Updating!:wink:

dki378

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Can't forget to thank everyone that has contributed to this forum. You guys paved the way ahead of me and really made my updating seem so carefree. Thank you all!

Bryant White

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Now there is an "official" upgrade for the Icon.
Some people have had different experience to yours. I'm still using 8.1 on mine because i really don't want to
make a hard reset (yes i have backup to almost everything that can be enabled).
I recently bought a L640 for my girlfriend, after i upgrades it to 10 i'll test it for a while.
If i like it, then by mid July i'll update my Icon, if not, 8.1 still have a little more of the original metro identity that took so many of us to the platform.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Last night I upgraded through the verizon upgrade and couldn't be happier! I didn't want to go through the Dev rings or any other ways as I'm a daily reader on here an read a lot of things I didn't want to put up with possibly happening. I can hardly put it down, so far everything works, text, wifi, hey Cortana, everything! It's faster as wel,l doing anything. Battery almost fully charged, can't wait to see if it'll get better. I hope so as my 928 lasts way longer!!
So I say pull the trigger, hoping that you're on Verizon that is!

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I've had several of the previews that I tried for weeks at a time but always had to revert back to 8.1 due to some glitch (mostly battery issues and Hotspot issues). I'm curious to see how the Verizon upgrade is...I'm also surprised more people haven't been talking about their experiences!

dki378

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
OMG... as soon as I decide to upgrade Verizon comes out with an official version!??!??! Come ON! Now I need to figure out how to get that version on my phone... damn it!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
OMG... as soon as I decide to upgrade Verizon comes out with an official version!??!??! Come ON! Now I need to figure out how to get that version on my phone... damn it!

Arrested-Development-GOB-Oh-Come-On.gif

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh look the 2 year old Icon is Verizons only flagship phone. On a more serious note Windows Mobile runs awesome on my Icon. A great phone just got better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium