New Firmware watch thread

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The issue with backups restoring only partially is known and was documented in the announcements of the Redstone builds where it became an issue.

Backup only restores partially if you go from Redstone back to Threshold. The proper procedure is: backup, WDRT/wipe device, do NOT restore backup, login, install Insider, upgrade to latest Redstone, then do a settings...about...reset and only then restore your backup.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The issue with backups restoring only partially is known and was documented in the announcements of the Redstone builds where it became an issue.

Backup only restores partially if you go from Redstone back to Threshold. The proper procedure is: backup, WDRT/wipe device, do NOT restore backup, login, install Insider, upgrade to latest Redstone, then do a settings...about...reset and only then restore your backup.

So, if you're going from current Threshold (say .420 or .494) and want to go back to that build, the process would be:
Backup->WDRT/wipe
Login but do NOT restore, install Insider
Upgrade to latest Threshold (back to say .494)
Reset, which should then trigger Restore?

I could've sworn I tried this the last time, but my last reset took me back to an older build, again, not .494, so I couldn't restore properly...
I get that restoring settings to non-current builds is a problem, the metadata and other binary data is never going to match, if the restore is done say to .107, or similar, that part's obvious.
What's not obvious, is how to get get to the current build, very carefully, and ONLY THEN kickoff Restore, without resetting to an earlier build.

Thanks, for any insight...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope, doesn't work, at least if you want to go current Threshold to the same (494->494) after all is done.

It restores some stuff, like your home screen layout, and (most) apps, but almost none of your other settings are restored.

I did it exactly as described, backup, reset, login(not restore), Insider, update, reset.
"We're sorry, some of your settings weren't able to be restored...".

Now begins the process of figuring out what's what, and sorting out which apps failed too...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Update: It took me all of a couple of hours to "re adapt" to DTTW, from my previous two phones, so I'm really loving the feature change. While I hated resetting and re-configuring some of the settings not brought over by my backup/restore, I'd do it again, it's THAT nice to have the feature back.

I also didn't see any additional battery drain, with it on overnight. If anything, my battery was better this AM than typical, but it's only been one overnight, not exactly a great sample-size.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by PepperdotNet

I thought the 'smaller' back up was being introduced as MSFT have cut the one drive storage. I'm sure that Dona and WC have reported it as a known when RS builds are released.

Ps. I won't get to find out. No FW for 000GB 059X4T9 yet.....

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I thought the 'smaller' back up was being introduced as MSFT have cut the one drive storage. I'm sure that Dona and WC have reported it as a known when RS builds are released.

Ps. I won't get to find out. No FW for 000GB 059X4T9 yet.....

I don't know, the old backups, the ones that were complete, and worked great, were already small, <100k. The current (new?) ones are smaller still, but I still think this is a bug, not a feature.
If it's a feature, it's a bad decision, because they're moving farther away from feature parity with other platforms in this area.

Bummer on your FW, I thought they had released to everyone but US AT&T, but I guess there are still a few others. Hopefully yours will flip in the next day or so...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I am well peeved now! My boy has 950 000GB and got his on the 20th!!!! I'm confused now. I know the XL has slightly different specs, but........

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Still waiting as well. (950XL/DS/Unlocked/ATT Sim). I'm trying not to complain too loudly because I'm too lazy to use the WDRT route to get it. But, I'm still impatient.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
i don't think anyones quite as impatient as mad cabbie. He is now starting to get niggling fears that he may NEVER get it :O lol nah real talk, I too would be busting a nut if I was mad cabbie. Luckily my updates on WDRT, just waiting dat dere OTA

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by cdayo
i don't think anyones quite as impatient as mad cabbie. He is now starting to get niggling fears that he may NEVER get it :O lol nah real talk, I too would be busting a nut if I was mad cabbie. Luckily my updates on WDRT, just waiting dat dere OTA

It not just impatience for the sake of it. The continual power button, camera button usage is awkward when on the road. It's more noticeable when the Bluetooth disconnects, which is quite regular, so can't use Cortana to unlock, on top of which, hey Cortana is very unreliable, and biometrics is out of the question as I'd have to lean forward, remove my glasses etc...only for it to not work! ;-) I've got 13 devices in use, and DTTW is a very good back up for my drivers.

Anyways, off to find a dark corner. I'm gunna scream and scream and scream until I am sick....

Roberto Velazquez R

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The new DTTW firmware for the unlocked 950 XL DS (code 059XB5) and bought at MSFT store in USA has been available thru WDRT since July 20 why is it taking so long to be available via OTA?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It not just impatience for the sake of it. The continual power button, camera button usage is awkward when on the road. It's more noticeable when the Bluetooth disconnects, which is quite regular, so can't use Cortana to unlock, on top of which, hey Cortana is very unreliable, and biometrics is out of the question as I'd have to lean forward, remove my glasses etc...only for it to not work! ;-) I've got 13 devices in use, and DTTW is a very good back up for my drivers.

Anyways, off to find a dark corner. I'm gunna scream and scream and scream until I am sick....

Bluetooth doesn't wake your device(s)? I don't think I've ever had BT *not* wake mine, that I can recall. Obviously, if BT was off, then it wouldn't.

How about having a "interruption switch" on a Qi charging mount? If you interrupt the charge cycle, or re-apply Qi charging, this wakes the phone.

Bummer on your firmware, I really thought we'd be the last here in the US...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by PGrey
Originally Posted by Mad Cabbie

Bluetooth doesn't wake your device(s)? I don't think I've ever had BT *not* wake mine, that I can recall. Obviously, if BT was off, then it wouldn't.

How about having a "interruption switch" on a Qi charging mount? If you interrupt the charge cycle, or re-apply Qi charging, this wakes the phone.

Bluetooth does wake it, WHEN it stays connected! Even my Fitbit blaze has issues with Bluetooth. I know its not my Plantronics as it works great on the 1520 I have. Also, its not a viable proposition to purchase several Qi chargers when the FW is somewhere in the ether ;-). What bugs is the 950's we use have had it for a while now. Nevermind. I have emailed MSFT, but I'm expecting it to be ignored. Lol. Every 950xl except 4T9. Weird......

Bummer on your firmware, I really thought we'd be the last here in the US...

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Install in progress on my US 950 DS :D ... I've probably only checked for updates a hundred or so times since this first started rolling out sooooo many weeks ago. Here's hoping performance is good with it!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not for me :,(

Someone needs to make one of those videos where Hitler receives news his ATT phone isn't getting the update while everyone else with unlocked phones is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes