Screen Blinking still present on W10M

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
It is tragic that with every OS update it gets worse instead of getting better. With last update, 10586.494, screen blinks more often and blackouts are longer, sometimes lasting allmost a full second...

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain, I really like my Lumia 830 and W10M for the most part but this screen blinking and tearing towards the top of the display is very frustrating. It would be good to get some feedback from MS about it, I've reported my issue in the feedback system back when I was on the insider preview and there are lots of others that have reported it too. The closest I can see is an acknowledgement that the MS engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it, but that was months ago and this has been going on since W10M previews started late last year!

Frustrated and disappointed is how I feel about it, I'd rollback to 8.1 but I'd miss some things from W10M and 8.1 from an App point of view is being dropped like a stone, as if it isn't bad enough on W10M. Perhaps someone with a twitter account, I don't have one, could contact Dona to try and get some more up to date feedback.

If it needs a firmware fix and they are not going to provide one I'd genuinely like to hear it, it would honestly be a step in the right direction if I knew that because I would at least know, although I'd be disappointed as they would literally be saying "If it bothers you that much go back to 8.1" and they have already listed our device as OK for the W10M upgrade, even moving into Redstone and the 14xxx.xxx builds...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It is tragic that with every OS update it gets worse instead of getting better. With last update, 10586.494, screen blinks more often and blackouts are longer, sometimes lasting allmost a full second...

I feel your pain, I really like my Lumia 830 and W10M for the most part but this screen blinking and tearing towards the top of the display is very frustrating. It would be good to get some feedback from MS about it, I've reported my issue in the feedback system back when I was on the insider preview and there are lots of others that have reported it too. The closest I can see is an acknowledgement that the MS engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it, but that was months ago and this has been going on since W10M previews started late last year!

Frustrated and disappointed is how I feel about it, I'd rollback to 8.1 but I'd miss some things from W10M and 8.1 from an App point of view is being dropped like a stone, as if it isn't bad enough on W10M. Perhaps someone with a twitter account, I don't have one, could contact Dona to try and get some more up to date feedback.

If it needs a firmware fix and they are not going to provide one I'd genuinely like to hear it, it would honestly be a step in the right direction if I knew that because I would at least know, although I'd be disappointed as they would literally be saying "If it bothers you that much go back to 8.1" and they have already listed our device as OK for the W10M upgrade, even moving into Redstone and the 14xxx.xxx builds...

have either of you ever done a hard reset after upgrading to windows 10? You could consider it, especially if there are other problems that you've been having
Or wait for redstone official update

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
have either of you ever done a hard reset after upgrading to windows 10? You could consider it, especially if there are other problems that you've been having

I can't speak for KefKef but I have hard reset W10M and it didn't make any difference, screen blinking and tearing still present.

It's a strange issue, you can have good days and really bad ones, the tearing is almost always present as you can see it on your start screen when scrolling up your tiles. Once that has started the most obvious place I see it is in edge when holding the mobile in landscape, the left side of the screen (top of phone), tears as you scroll through web pages.

The blanking can disappear for hours at a time making you think it is getting better, then all of a sudden it will just appear and happen 1-6 times in a row.

I've tried modifying the size of text in Settings > Display to everything from 200% which is the default to 225% and 175% which has been reported to help, additionally I've tried Auto, Low, Medium and High brightness with reboots after each apply and none of these have helped my blanking and tearing.

Apparently it doesn't affect all 830s, I suspect it is a particular hardware or software configuration, and there is nothing wrong with the mobile as when back on WP8.1 it never ever happens. I've reported it in the thread that Gabe pointed users to on Microsoft Answers with all my details plus given feedback when I was on the Insider Preview, it has been present for me from day 1 of W10M.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

Of course that I have done multiple HARD resets, because that is the only hope to fix errors, but hard reset does not solve this problem!

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
It's a strange issue, you can have good days and really bad ones, the tearing is almost always present as you can see it on your start screen when scrolling up your tiles. Once that has started the most obvious place I see it is in edge when holding the mobile in landscape, the left side of the screen (top of phone), tears as you scroll through web pages.

The blanking can disappear for hours at a time making you think it is getting better, then all of a sudden it will just appear and happen 1-6 times in a row.

The same for me with blinking, but I have absolutely no screen tearing, which is very strange. I think it depends on Firmware version, and it will never be fixed, because MS does not know how to fix Nokia firmware, or just does not care...

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Cortana? And the live tile pinned? Unpin it and see if there's a difference

I do have Cortana enabled but I don't have it pinned to my start menu.

The same for me with blinking, but I have absolutely no screen tearing, which is very strange. I think it depends on Firmware version, and it will never be fixed, because MS does not know how to fix Nokia firmware, or just does not care...

Yes it is odd you have no screen tearing and it is almost always present with mine. I am also getting that feeling that we will never see a fix, we've moved entirely through Threshold with it and I'm sure I've read comments that it is still present in Redstone, like you say it almost certainly needs a firmware fix and MS is just not going to do that for the 830...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Yes it is odd you have no screen tearing and it is almost always present with mine. I am also getting that feeling that we will never see a fix, we've moved entirely through Threshold with it and I'm sure I've read comments that it is still present in Redstone, like you say it almost certainly needs a firmware fix and MS is just not going to do that for the 830...

specifically a firmware fix for your region. It has happened before and maybe they could change that if there were thousands of you giving upvotes and tweets and such

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
specifically a firmware fix for your region. It has happened before and maybe they could change that if there were thousands of you giving upvotes and tweets and such

In other words, beg Microsoft for something they messed up, something that worked perfectly on WP8.1?
No way, I'l give them the finger, revert my L830 to 8.1 and get rid of it while it is still worth something, and buy myself a proper Android phone.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes it is odd you have no screen tearing and it is almost always present with mine.

But there is a much worse side effect on my (and my friends) L830 from screen tearing.

If I am on call on Speakerphone, with Home Screen on, and when the screen blinks the phone drops the call and the phone freezes. Then I have to wait at least 30 seconds for phone to recover so that I can make the call again.

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
In other words, beg Microsoft for something they messed up, something that worked perfectly on WP8.1?
No way, I'l give them the finger, revert my L830 to 8.1 and get rid of it while it is still worth something, and buy myself a proper Android phone.

I think (like you) the only reason I would go back to WP8.1 now is to sell it on eBay, which I might be doing as it is looking more and more unlikely that it is ever going to be fixed, I've had android mobiles and they are fine but I just prefer WP/WM. If you do look at an android I'd recommend the Motorola mobiles, relatively stock android and practically glance screen with some features missing but some added, they are quite good I've found.

But there is a much worse side effect on my (and my friends) L830 from screen tearing.

If I am on call on Speakerphone, with Home Screen on, and when the screen blinks the phone drops the call and the phone freezes. Then I have to wait at least 30 seconds for phone to recover so that I can make the call again.

I've never heard of that issue, that is really bad as it interferes with the product's main function, calling.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I think (like you) the only reason I would go back to WP8.1 now is to sell it on eBay, which I might be doing as it is looking more and more unlikely that it is ever going to be fixed, I've had android mobiles and they are fine but I just prefer WP/WM. If you do look at an android I'd recommend the Motorola mobiles, relatively stock android and practically glance screen with some features missing but some added, they are quite good I've found.

First c/p from Insider forum concerning screen blinking:
"I updated to Redstone build 14393 last night. Right after I downloaded the new store app - the blinking began. I can't say that the store app caused it, only that it occurred just after.
I really was very optimistic that this had been solved in the Redstone branch. After moving to 14371 I had seen no blinking until my upgrade last night."

So, it is NOT fixed, as I expected!

My L830 is covered by warranty until 06.06.2017, and now I plan to get rid of it, locally, by end of this year. At that time a new Nokia flagship on Android 7 will arrive, and that is my target.

I know all about Android since I have Motorola Moto G 3rd gen (had 2nd gen before), with which I am very satisfied.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

well, windows 10 mobile is supposedly compatible for older devices but this shows that extensive testing was needed. Hundreds of variations in firmware across the world

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
well, windows 10 mobile is supposedly compatible for older devices but this shows that extensive testing was needed. Hundreds of variations in firmware across the world

Accent on supposedly :winktongue:

This is a too big problem for them to solve, so it will keep on blinking to remind us to get rid of them while they are still worth something

bridder

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I'd forgotten what it was like to use my 830 without the screen blinking and tearing but I've just had a good run and it is still holding up. After seeing post number 13 by user triageatdawn in the thread "AT&T Lumia 830 Downloading W10", I thought I would come off production 10586.494 and move over to the Release Preview ring. It's early days but I haven't had a screen blink (which in fairness I can have good runs with) but more noticeably I've not had any screen tearing and I would have definitely seen that by now.

I realise this will probably not fix this for everyone, I was sceptical it would work as I've seen others posting that the blinking and tearing is still present but the 14393.5 update is looking promising for my CV GBIE 830.

I updated with no hard reset afterwards and Redstone appears to be working really well on my 830, fingers crossed the blinking and tearing doesn't return.

sunil lamichhane

May 20, 2014
Visit site
i have done it.....still same issue. and then moved to windows device recovery tool to reinstall 8.1 , there was no issue and again i upgrade my mobile through advisor app build was 14586.xxx still same issue....finally got back to insider latest build..still this issue persisting. it is blinking for longer then previous build.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
i upgrade my mobile through advisor app build was 14586.xxx still same issue....finally got back to insider latest build..still this issue persisting. it is blinking for longer then previous build.

Which is this 14586.xxx build?

AFAIK there is no such build; latest public build is 10586.494, and latest insider build is 14393.5.

Since there are more than 20 W10M builds, please be more specific when making a point.

sunil lamichhane

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by bridder
Originally Posted by Chintan Gohel
Do you have Cortana? And the live tile pinned? Unpin it and see if there's a difference

Originally Posted by KefKef

It's still present in build 14393.5 ...which is AU win10. That is annoying!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb