What does 950XL bring to the table?

bigwils36

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Can someone tell me what windows phones bring To the table that android doesn't I'm trying my best to like this 950xl but tbh its pants really compared to my S7 I had

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: To the table

Can someone tell me what windows phones bring To the table that android doesn't I'm trying my best to like this 950xl but tbh its pants really compared to my S7 I had

Ultimately it brings better security and features like Continuum. Possibly greater integration with Microsoft services. However, most people would not move from an S7 to a 950xl. Less apps to start with. Even the camera in the S7 is very good which is normally one of the 950's strengths.

You ask a hard question as the S7 is arguably the best smartphone (currently) on the market...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: To the table

Well I'm going to try to keep it to the good stuff. Here goes...

1. Start screen.

While it looks like little more than a bunch of square icons, the start screen is more powerful than it seems in that you can "pin" documents, webpages and other stuff to it, not just applications.

"Live tiles" can offer information at-a-glance in a visually consistent manner. iOS can't match it with information displayed. On Android, all the widgets look different graphically.

2. Part of the Windows big-picture.

MS has been pushing Universal Apps. These are applications that are becoming more common and the draw is that you can buy them and use them on tablet, PC, phone, etc. Often it's the same app, just adjusting itself to different screen sizes.

If you use Edge, it syncs with Edge on phone.

Cortana is now in more places than just the phone. Getting Cortana on your PC, phone, etc. can be a plus. I enjoy Siri on my iPhone but it feels a bit isolated.

3. Continuum

Albeit it's not usually a feature you will be able to use, it's a cool one when you can. It's got a lot of potential.

4. Phone-specific features

Not inherent to Windows Phone, but Lumia's often have their own perks.

- Glance
Being from Android, you can probably think of it as a parallel to Ambient or Active Display. It's simple, being just a clock with some information but it's become an indispensable feature for many people. Many passed on the 930/Icon actually because it did not have this feature.

- Camera Hardware
The 950 and 950 XL have arguably class leading cameras on the back. Downsides here is that especially compared to Samsung's kitchen-sink strategy, camera features are often lacking. You also have a dedicated camera key, which is pretty nice.

5. Camera

The Microsoft Camera app (previously Lumia specific) is perhaps the best Camera app with manual controls I've used.
Also Rich HDR (previously Rich Capture) lets you take a photo with HDR or flash and adjust the lighting later from PC or phone. It's a terrific feature when it works.

6. SD support

Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile has some of the best SD support in a mobile OS. You can stick apps, maps, etc. on it and it'll default to the card. It doesn't have "adoptable storage" but you can argue it doesn't need it.

7. Security & Personalization

Something of a middle-ground between the strictness of iOS and freedom of Android and desktop Windows, it is quite secure both by design (a la iOS) and because nobody bothers with malware for it.

While iOS lets you change wallpaper, icon layout and maybe some accessibility options, Windows Phone lets you change UI colors, wallpapers, live tile layout and size, etc.
It's not as expansive as Android though. Which may be a plus depending on your point of view.

8. Updates

Apple's OS update model is the gold standard. They're released when Apple wants them released and Apple is quite good about updates. (cough 4s cough)

After some update fiascos (coughWP7 and launching 10cough), Microsoft has finally got itself a good deal. OS updates are now released when Microsoft wants them with little carrier interference, like on PCs. Firmwares are still subject to carrier approval but it seems to be working well so far. (ATT 950 firmwares seem to only be delayed by days or weeks, not months or indefinitely like with WP8.0-era devices.)

How long phones get updates are unclear with this new model though. WP7 and WP8 phones were prematurely axed which does not bode well for the future.

Contrast with Android updates which are very hit and miss. Google releases an update. The manufacturer MAY decide to release it for a phone. Then if the phone is carrier branded, the carrier will have to approve it, which may add months of delay IF it is approved.

Even Google's Nexus devices, which are supposed to be the gold standard in Android-land are only promised two years of feature updates and three of security updates. After that it's on basically a "if we feel like it" basis. Not good. Luckily you do have numerous custom ROM options like CyanogenMod though going forward.

Don't ask me about the bads.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I need my text messages read out to me over BT, with the option to reply, totally hands free without ever having to access the device.
My phone is not always accessible, or visible in daylight without adjusting the screen. I also might not have the right glasses on.
Windows Phone has always been able to do this for me, with very little setup, where Android is hit or miss or not there at all.

The customizable Glance screen is probably my favorite WP feature.

My favorite Android feature might be, touch to highlight, and a search bar opens with the info already entered. I use it constantly on my tablet.

I run both Windows and Android devices, there is very little to distinguish between the two.
The 1520 running 8.1 was the best I have experienced so far. The 950 XL has left me less than satisfied.
If you already run Android or IOS, and are satisfied, I would not recommend switching to WP, unless you are looking for something new to amuse yourself.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Interesting discussion.
I found an older thread, and it sounded like it was only in the US version because of a statute or similar.

I guess this is one reason to not have bought one of the International dual-SIM models, from various vendors that were selling it here (at only a slight discount over the MSStore version).

I agree, it seems like a feature that should just be common. I'd bet there are legal issues though, possibly similar to the ones that ensure it's in the US firmware versions. Some countries may have very stringent requirements.
Does anyone know if other platforms have it, outside of the US?
Edit, found this, which implies that at least Ca. requires it, and possibly other states: Understanding and Bypassing Reset Protection ? Advanced Password Cracking ? Insight

Did you comment on the wrong thread?

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well I have to be honest with you.

The only thing what I got from Windows is the different user interface. The only thing what is better in the 950 XL comparing to the S7 ( I have both S7&S7 Edge and 950XL) is the distortion free video recording.

So S7 Edge is my daily and 950XL for beta builds and eagerly waiting to get the 5.1 recording..:D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea I don't blame you.

I forgot to mention that the text message backup/restore/sync is the best yet. It looks like iOS and Android put the messages only in backups so if you restore fresh then no texts for you.

But yea, it doesn't really scream "I'M BETTER"

EDIT: I also forgot that Cortana hands-free is the best. I haven't seen Google Now in action but she handles incoming text messages much better than iOS, which requires you to ask to read the text message first.

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Probably the wrong sort of thread for me. I detest Samsung with a vengeance. It all started when the Knox system came in. To keep a device up to date, because Samsung usually drop support as soon as a new wheel is invented, you have to go custom. This also enables the removal of their staggering amount of bloat. By going custom, you get told your warranty is invalid!

Anyways, rant over. I have a one plus and love it. Mainly because its designed to be used with custom roms. With that freedom comes security risks. Hence I use this for general stuff. For work, I use the 950xl, running the RS preview. Those who currently have 950 / 950xl running 10586.xx are in for a surprise! The RS build, aka anniversary build, takes the brakes off of these devices. Everything feels better. Performance is better. It definitely moves the device up a notch.
Like others, the glance screen is great, the start screen is very customisable and the camera is, as usual, top notch.

My son has a S6. I cant see much difference, apart from the so called app gap. I dont play COC, I dont chase fictional characters around a map etc. I dont do twitface. For me, the 950 and the way it integrates with my business, is a no brainer. I found it frustrating with Android and Apple. I love my iPad mini, but I hated the phones. Go figure?

As with all these type of threads, the answers and suggestions will be subjective. The best way is to compare them side by side, in hand first, then seeks advice on the quirks.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The IOS commercials look like their "living images" work better, run longer, and replay easier. But I have not seen it work in person.

I know they have sound, and they go on before and after the image, am i correct.
But a lot of people have them turned off. Cuz they have a 16GB iPhone. lol.

As far as living images, i would like to see them exportable as gifs.

bigwils36

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Cheers for your input lads but i ditched my 950xl and bought a new LG G5 and its outstanding. Its probably the best phone iv owned and its better than my S7 imo.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Since I am running Windows 10 insider on my PC's as well I am using the features of sending AND receiving the phone texts to my PC. Plus missing calls with the ability to text reply etc from the PC all while your phone sits on the charger or wherever.
I don't think anyone else has that integration and there is no setup needed. It just works with the later builds and of course if you are logged in with the same Microsoft account.

I have an iPhone that work supplies.
It is a 5S not the latest 6S, but what a piece of sh**
Siri has NOTHING on Cortana.
Siri is a friggin joke.
It is good to tell jokes and nothing more.
You can't rely on it finding businesses that you want to call.
Siri has about a 50% success rate of even finding a local business yet alone the one I ask for.
The navigation really sucks on an iPhone too I think.

I had a bunch of Android phones but nothing at the moment.
MY wife has a Samsung Note after using a 1520 for a while.
Lately her beloved Samsung Note has been screwy. LOL. Yup after some updates Android usually starts to lag and be buggy as sh**
Although we all know that the Windows 10 Mobile preview builds have been very hit and miss with good, bad, good, bad etc. LOL

The latest few RS builds are pretty good though.

Speaking of family and phones.
My two younger daughters use Lumia's
And I like the family controls.
Microsoft is a little strict with the age restrictions but better safe than sorry I suppose.
I get the weekly email reports showing what apps my kids spend time on, what websites they use the most, what the SEARCH for etc.

Oh. And when it comes to email and cloud storage, DON'T EVEN COMPARE Microsoft to Google.
Google, the NSA seeded spy machine that it is, has access to use the information and photos etc that you use in their system. So you get Scroogled there!

Microsoft promises, lol, that your Hotmail etc is not read and information is not shared from it.

I recently signed up for the Office 365 package. Paid the yearly rate.
I get to install the software on my PC's, Tablets and Windows Phones AND share it with 5 family members (I think it is 5). Each family member then gets 1 TerraByte of cloud storage.
Again, supposedly private unlike using Google's free stuff which means your information and data belongs to them.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
1TB of storage!! I might just buy this 365 package myself.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10 on the Lumia 950XL

It's REALLY slow-access storage though, as is most of the non-business storage out there. Lots of offers of large data space, cheap, but it's difficult to get your initial data up there, to set up a sync process. It's usable, but I bet it would take you the better part of a week to push an entire TB up there.

I've moved to iDrive, slightly more than the basics, but not business-pricing either, and fast enough that I can push 50-100GB without it being an all-day deal (I have 100mbps up, that's not my bottleneck, before anyone asks, I have symmetric 100/100).
It's a "you get what you pay for" kind of typical thing, if you pay for AWS, you get incredibly fast pipes in both directions, but the monthly cost will outpace your yearly, of the cheap storage, unless you almost never touch it (most AWS charges are based on data-throughput volume, not really storage volume).

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by TrueMetalGeek

I get to install the software on my PC's, Tablets and Windows Phones AND share it with 5 family members (I think it is 5). Each family member then gets 1 TerraByte of cloud storage.
Again, supposedly private unlike using Google's free stuff which means your information and data belongs to them.

You can share the OneDrive stuff, really? How?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You can share the OneDrive stuff, really? How?

Through the website. It has a fairly rich set of sharing features, such as groups, and a couple of levels of sharing as well.
I use it all the time, to share photos and similar, with friends, upload screenshots, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos