Should I return my 950 xl?

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
So, I got a 950 xl @ a Microsoft store in Seattle for BOGO (950) good deal, I thought. But since I have been doing a lot of traveling for work, I have yet to open the box of the 950xl or 950. I originally thought it would sell quick on the ebay, amazon,and craiglist (the 950), but no one seems to want it and if they do they want to give me a low ball price (selling for 357). I still use my cracked Blu HD LTE, which is still working slightly fine(freezes), but aside from that is good to me. The main reason why, I don't want to open my 950xl is: I think Microsoft might have a better phone coming out really soon. The 950xl design does scream "sexy" to me, as let's say a: HP Elite, Alcatel idol4 pro, or Coship Moly PcPhone. I love the Windows Phone, but the 950xl I'm just not feeling. Did anyone have this feeling at 1st when they got their 950xl and just grew to love the phone? lol. I know this sounds like a soap opera, but any good input will be help. Tomorrow is my last day to return the phones.

Thanks!!!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
So, I got a 950 xl @ a Microsoft store in Seattle for BOGO (950) good deal, I thought. But since I have been doing a lot of traveling for work, I have yet to open the box of the 950xl or 950. I originally thought it would sell quick on the ebay, amazon,and craiglist (the 950), but no one seems to want it and if they do they want to give me a low ball price (selling for 357). I still use my cracked Blu HD LTE, which is still working slightly fine(freezes), but aside from that is good to me. The main reason why, I don't want to open my 950xl is: I think Microsoft might have a better phone coming out really soon. The 950xl design does scream "sexy" to me, as let's say a: HP Elite, Alcatel idol4 pro, or Coship Moly PcPhone. I love the Windows Phone, but the 950xl I'm just not feeling. Did anyone have this feeling at 1st when they got their 950xl and just grew to love the phone? lol. I know this sounds like a soap opera, but any good input will be help. Tomorrow is my last day to return the phones.

Thanks!!!

Since it makes you sick,Give it to me as a gift. Details in private ;)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think I'd wait, just my $0.02.
Even if there's a Surface phone, at some point in 2017, that's a long time to go hmm, if you ask me. I guess there are the other OEM phones, as a possibility, but I really like my 950XL, except for the fact WiFi call/texting isn't sorted out, and I'm waiting on the (incoming) DTTW firmware.
Those aside (which likely wouldn't be fixed by any OEM phone anyway), I'd buy another 950XL, particularly with the 400+ builds, the battery life is nice and all the features are there now, and RS is right around the corner, a "nice bonus" at this point.
If you sold that second one, even for the lower-end, it seems like a pretty screaming deal to me, overall.

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think I'd wait, just my $0.02.
Even if there's a Surface phone, at some point in 2017, that's a long time to go hmm, if you ask me. I guess there are the other OEM phones, as a possibility, but I really like my 950XL, except for the fact WiFi call/texting isn't sorted out, and I'm waiting on the (incoming) DTTW firmware.
Those aside (which likely wouldn't be fixed by any OEM phone anyway), I'd buy another 950XL, particularly with the 400+ builds, the battery life is nice and all the features are there now, and RS is right around the corner, a "nice bonus" at this point.
If you sold that second one, even for the lower-end, it seems like a pretty screaming deal to me, overall.

What is "RS"?

Wiz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
What is "RS"?
RS = Redstone = Build 14xxx = The next anniversary update ..

The fast ring currently is at build 14393 (Redstone) where the anniversary update is expected to be build 14400 (or thereabouts). The slow ring is at build 10xxx somewhere (Threshold)

Sent from mTalk on Lumia 950 XL dual-sim

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
RS = Redstone = Build 14xxx = The next anniversary update ..

The fast ring currently is at build 14393 (Redstone) where the anniversary update is expected to be build 14400 (or thereabouts). The slow ring is at build 10xxx somewhere (Threshold)

Sent from mTalk on Lumia 950 XL dual-sim
Oh, okay my Blu LTE HD has 14332 is that the latest? Over all is everyone happy with the 950xl and see it improving with each new builds? I will let yall know if I keep it tomorrow.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd keep it and use it if I were you. The Surface phone has some time before we see it, and the price of the thing is most likely going to be more than the 950 and 950XL combined. :D The build quality of the 950XL took me a few days to get used to, but I haven't had one single problem with performance other than it getting warm while using it at times. It's really a great phone.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Was your purchase more than 30 days ago? There is a 30 day return policy so if you're inside that window you should absolutely open one or both and use it!

My wife and I have these phones and love them. They are definitely faster phones than the Blu HD and the camera is top notch.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I would keep XL and sell the 950. But it probably won't fetch much more than $300 since Amazon has them for around 330 (sans warranty). I have both 950 and XL and find them terrific. Get a Mozo back cover if you want to jazz it up a bit.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by TK2011
If I were you, I would keep XL and sell the 950. But it probably won't fetch much more than $300 since Amazon has them for around 330 (sans warranty). I have both 950 and XL and find them terrific. Get a Mozo back cover if you want to jazz it up a bit.

Have to agree that the Mozo cover changes the look and feel of the device. On RS build, the 950 and xl just come alive. They are a world away from the 10586.xxx TH builds. IMHO, the 950 devices are very dull to look at, and even MSFT admit that they are a let down aesthetically. Hardware wise, they are up there with the best. With RS coming, the hardware will be fully utilized, finally!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh, okay my Blu LTE HD has 14332 is that the latest? Over all is everyone happy with the 950xl and see it improving with each new builds? I will let yall know if I keep it tomorrow.

it's not the latest - that would be 14393

You said you do a lot of travelling - does this involve going abroad? There are many places where people would want those phones and you'll still get more money since those low prices are only in a few countries.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I do love my 950xl and I have the brown leather mozo cover that makes it looks super sexy. But honestly sometimes I wish I waited before buying it. I still had a good phone just wanted the larger screen. When I first bought it it was hell. It took them a while to get the OS working on it well. Right now on the insider builds it's running well. Some battery/minor heat issues but otherwise it's good. But I could have paid much cheaper and not have to deal with this whole mess. My view is that it's 1 year before the surface phone comes out. It's likely it will also take MS time to perfect it since it will be running redstone 2, so buying it right away will not be wise. I would have preferred to get the HP elite X3. But I jumped on the 950xl day one. Great phone but can't compete against the hp elite X3 spec wise. And the OS is mature enough that the HP won't suffer all the nagging problems.

Crossrunner32

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I do love my 950xl and I have the brown leather mozo cover that makes it looks super sexy. But honestly sometimes I wish I waited before buying it. I still had a good phone just wanted the larger screen. When I first bought it it was hell. It took them a while to get the OS working on it well. Right now on the insider builds it's running well. Some battery/minor heat issues but otherwise it's good. But I could have paid much cheaper and not have to deal with this whole mess. My view is that it's 1 year before the surface phone comes out. It's likely it will also take MS time to perfect it since it will be running redstone 2, so buying it right away will not be wise. I would have preferred to get the HP elite X3. But I jumped on the 950xl day one. Great phone but can't compete against the hp elite X3 spec wise. And the OS is mature enough that the HP won't suffer all the nagging problems.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My advice to is to return them. I bought a used 950XL for $350 that was only a few months old. I've now had it for over a month. The seller had it for sale for over a month with no bites. The 950XL looks good, but feels cheap. If you go with insider builds, expect poor battery life every other build. I had to reset my device and leave the insider program because I was only getting 3-4 hours of battery life after a update. If you keep the devices, resale value will be awful, as you are already starting to notice. If you want to stick with W10M, then buy the HP or wait to see what Microsoft announces. One good device is worth multiple average devices, and the 950/XL are just average devices. Good luck with your decision.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The HP is a bit too niche for consumers, and expensive if you're not going to be able to take advantage of the other unique features it offers. The 950/XL do feel cheap in the hand with the default covers, but that's easily rectified with a good quality Mozo cover. Specification-wise, they are pretty much on a par with other high-end handsets from other manufacturers, and the camera is up there with the best of them. The HP has a good camera so it would seem, but not as good at the one found on the 950/XL.

I always buy my handsets off Ebay a few months after release, that way you get a much better deal, and as I have a SIM only deal from my provider, I pay a minimal amount per month for my contract as well. You can sell me your XL nice and cheap if you like :smile:

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what's niche about the HP. It doesn't sacrifice anything compared with any other devices, nor is it priced higher. Yet, by many accounts it has the best fit, finish, and feel of any windows phone to date.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what's niche about the HP. It doesn't sacrifice anything compared with any other devices, nor is it priced higher. Yet, by many accounts it has the best fit, finish, and feel of any windows phone to date.

Could be, the latest released pricing info does seem to make it competitive (to what a 950XL was at full MSRP).

My experience with HP, in general though, is that they try their hardest to embed their apps/widgets/services into the OEM install, which really bog down the systems. They also do some odd stuff, like their switchable graphics implementations for W7/8 (TM2 models), which are really broken on Win10, with no plans from them to update either the firmware or fix the drivers.

I'm wary, it looks like a nice phone, but I want to see the reviews, first.
I have a nagging suspicion that the first thing necessary, to get good performance, will be to figure out how to "work around" some OEM issues. Hopefully I stand corrected here.
Obviously, installing a fresh non-OEM phone build seems like it would do this. However, in the above example, stock Win10 fails miserably, as the display drivers "fight" over switching and generate a TON of interrupts, basically tanking the machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb