Insider Program And 1020

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion over this - I for one don't understand it fully - but if Microsoft excludes the 1020 as a supported device, is there any point in enrolling in the Program? How did users who have installed a 10 Preview on the 1020 manage to do so? I have enrolled myself, choosing the Release Preview Ring, but it is not clear to me that that is intended for users who wish to upgrade from 8.1, or whether it's for those already running 10 who wish to download the latest builds and bug fixes. As others in this forum have noticed with their own devices, checking for software updates simply shows 'up to date'.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There is a ton of threads about this. You won't get W10 anymore on your 1020. Insider Release Preview Ring is now "deactivated" and will start to deliver Redstone builds as soon as 14393 goes RTM

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There is a ton of threads about this. You won't get W10 anymore on your 1020. Insider Release Preview Ring is now "deactivated" and will start to deliver Redstone builds as soon as 14393 goes RTM
There are indeed threads, but the Insider Program has never been easy to understand in its entirety, nor, so far as I am aware, has Microsoft ever tried to make it so, nor given much feedback. There remains unnecessary confusion in those threads. If the Program is useless on the 1020 and other phones, as I have long suspected, why doesn't some message come up saying as much? In fact, the Program can still be used to select this or that Ring, followed by a reconfiguration of the device, all of which is absurd if nothing can come of it.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There are indeed threads, but the Insider Program has never been easy to understand in its entirety, nor, so far as I am aware, has Microsoft ever tried to make it so, nor given much feedback. There remains unnecessary confusion in those threads. If the Program is useless on the 1020 and other phones, as I have long suspected, why doesn't some message come up saying as much? In fact, the Program can still be used to select this or that Ring, followed by a reconfiguration of the device, all of which is absurd if nothing can come of it.

It's just another proof of MS not caring at all about their "fans" and that they are really bad at PR

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
4ad7ccf974ab4fb071b2f0fec065527d.jpg

A simple "But there will be no updates" would have been nice.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Copy from the Feedback hub:
Hello Windows Insiders!
Earlier this year when we launched Windows 10 Mobile, we announced a series of changes to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Program, including details of our launch of Windows 10 Mobile as well as changes to the supported Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview devices.
With the upcoming release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the Release Preview ring is moving to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build 14393. This change will have some impact on unsupported devices:
As stated before, unsupported devices will not receive any builds or updates newer than 10586.x
Unsupported devices will not be able to select any Windows Insider Preview rings in the Windows Insider app
Updates to apps and services may not be available for unsupported devices and in some cases may limit certain experiences
Unsupported devices can still use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover to Windows Phone 8.1, but will not have the option to return to Windows 10 Mobile.
As always, we appreciate our Insiders and thank you for your participation in the Windows Insider Program.
Sincerely,
Your Windows Insider Team
@WindowsInsider

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Last year around May I guess, the insider program was released and people could sign up and help in developing the next windows OS which we know as windows 10. It was available for both pc and for phones.

At the time, any phone could enrol and try the insider builds. Of course in the beginning the builds were hard on the phones but things go better. Over time the builds were stable enough to be released to the general public. However, from user feedback, it was noticed that some models performed much better than others when on W10M.

So early this year, it was decided that some models will receive the official upgrade while others won't. A few months later the insider app would no longer work for unsupported phones. So even if you download it, it won't work for your 1020. Those who had installed W10M when it was available can still keep it but support will slowly disappear

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss