Upgrading battery on the icon?

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried or know of a way to put a better battery in the icon? I know it's technically non-removable, but after viewing a video on replacing it I wondered if putting a more powerful battery in might work.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is just finding a battery that's a higher-capacity, will fit in the same area, and isn't just the same battery with a larger mAh rating written on the outside.

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by xandros9
The problem is just finding a battery that's a higher-capacity, will fit in the same area, and isn't just the same battery with a larger mAh rating written on the outside.

So as long as I find one with the same shape it should work with no issues? And what's a higher capacity than the one already inside? I had assumed the mAh was the capacity?

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So as long as I find one with the same shape it should work with no issues? And what's a higher capacity than the one already inside? I had assumed the mAh was the capacity?

What Xandros is getting at is that there's a lot of variability and deception in the third party battery market. Buying a spare Lumia Icon battery made by Microsoft/Nokia is one thing. But buying a battery from a third party manufacturer, which you'd have to do in this case because there is no higher capacity battery intended for the Icon, is risky. Third party battery manufacturers have been known to lie about their batteries capacities.

Not only that, but even when the manufacturer is telling the truth, the quality control is a reason for concern. The capacity could be inaccurate, but there are also potential safety concerns.

If you really want to extend the battery life, you could look into a Mugen case for the Icon. It's not cheap. I don't know anyone who has purchased one. But there are some reviews on Amazon. And they're... Less than stellar.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/307088-mugen-battery-case.html

https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Power-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3533606

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Indistinguishable
What Xandros is getting at is that there's a lot of variability and deception in the third party battery market. Buying a spare Lumia Icon battery made by Microsoft/Nokia is one thing. But buying a battery from a third party manufacturer, which you'd have to do in this case because there is no higher capacity battery intended for the Icon, is risky. Third party battery manufacturers have been known to lie about their batteries capacities.

In that case, I'll just stick with a regular replacement and not risk any mishaps, thanks for the info guys.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes