Bluetooth tethering on Lumia 520

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
If I use Bluetooth tethering on a Lumia 520, does this mean that it still uses WiFi to create the WiFi hotspot?

Im having connectivity problems when tethering my laptop via WiFi, so I was wondering if using Bluetooth instead of WiFi would solve the problem.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
As long as your laptop and phone can pair via bluetooth it should work. If might just be the chip/radio that is used to make the wifi hotspot is broken.

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
As long as your laptop and phone can pair via bluetooth it should work. If might just be the chip/radio that is used to make the wifi hotspot is broken.

Does this mean that when using Bluetooth for tethering, it doesn't use WiFi at all and everything is done over Bluetooth? I read online that when tethering, Bluetooth is just used to pair the device to the phone, but it still uses WiFi.

I don't think the chip/radio of the WiFi hotspot is broken because I can connect to the hotspot okay, but the internet randomly stops working, for instance sometimes after just a few minutes or sometimes longer such as 20 minutes.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Does this mean that when using Bluetooth for tethering, it doesn't use WiFi at all and everything is done over Bluetooth? I read online that when tethering, Bluetooth is just used to pair the device to the phone, but it still uses WiFi.

I don't think the chip/radio of the WiFi hotspot is broken because I can connect to the hotspot okay, but the internet randomly stops working, for instance sometimes after just a few minutes or sometimes longer such as 20 minutes.

Im not certain, Ive never used bluetooth personally ive just seen the option. About the randomly stop working thing, do you have issues on other wi-fi networks? cause then it might be a wifi card inside the pc problem...if it isn't that I have no idea what the problem is xD

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Im not certain, Ive never used bluetooth personally ive just seen the option. About the randomly stop working thing, do you have issues on other wi-fi networks? cause then it might be a wifi card inside the pc problem...if it isn't that I have no idea what the problem is xD

No, I don't have the same problem on other WiFi networks. The problem is only when tethering to the Lumia 520.

The most likely explanation seems to be that the problem is either caused by interference from other WiFi networks or caused by phone updates because this problem didn't exist when I bought the phone in 2014. These seem to be the only two possible explanations, unless there is a hardware fault.

The Lumia 520 doesn't have any option to change the channel frequency for the WiFi hotspot, so as far as using WiFi goes then there isn't any solution it would seem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos