Snag the Microsoft Lumia 950 from AT&T for under $300

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had a $620 unlocked Galaxy S7 sitting in my Best Buy shopping cart for two weeks and have been one-click away from purchasing several times in the last few weeks. At just $70 more than the L950 the S7 was a far better deal. I played with the S7s in the stores several times. Android has all the MS apps that I use. The S7 devices are beautiful high end products in a generic way like super models are generically beautiful. I missed the statement form factor that I still get asked about when I pull out my yellow L920.

Yet, every time I was close to clicking "purchase" I felt irrationally resigned to having to use Android. Even knowing that there were more apps (which has always been secondary to me) didn't do much. There's nothing particularly wrong with Android these days, but it wasn't the WinPho experience that I've loved since WP7.

I can afford to experiment with WM10/L950 at $300 and not feel too cheated if all the horror stories turn out to be true. If Surface Phone is actually a thing then a year from now $300 wasn't too much to spend either. Really banking on W10 AU to start turning things around. I've been with the platform for 5 years now and this time I was really close to being done.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked version, not att, but I don't have horror stories either.

that seems like a great price for a brand new one. if I bought it outright, i'd request an unlock code before I used it, just to have it.

I just bought an oldie but goodie - the Samsung gt-i9100 S2 to have to play around with games and such. I had one of those in the past, and thought I'd play with a bit to see what I'm missing.

Just got the wife an S6 Edge - looking forward to see what that looks like.

I don't see changing platforms though. The 950 will still be the daily.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
W10M AU on 950 = Awesome

How is the battery life for you?

I have an unlocked version, not att, but I don't have horror stories either.

that seems like a great price for a brand new one. if I bought it outright, i'd request an unlock code before I used it, just to have it.

I'm seriously wondering how easy it is to buy one and unlock it to use on T-Mo. It lacking DTTW is concerning but if it would be easy, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, because it's new.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
How is the battery life for you?

I'm seriously wondering how easy it is to buy one and unlock it to use on T-Mo. It lacking DTTW is concerning but if it would be easy, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, because it's new.
$300 on Swappa for factory unlocked version, better than the AT&T version.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
$300 on Swappa for factory unlocked version, better than the AT&T version.

This is true. I have an unlocked 950 (DS) that gave me MMS issues. I was really only curious because I wonder if anyone who has a single sim one ever had these issues.

If i m having a busy day, i am left with 40%. If i have nothing to do, i can usually make it through the day.
Nicee. That's something to look forward to, thanks.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
AT&T (Asurion) replaced my aging off contract L830 for a L950 for a $62 deductible! I was going to get the 950 XL for $450 from the MS store but since I was still paying the insurance for my L830 I figured I try and get a replacement. Can't wait to start fresh with WDRT and set up the latest Production build on it. Now I really hope the AT&T DTTW firmware arrives soon! :asleep:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
AT&T (Asurion) replaced my aging off contract L830 for a L950 for a $62 deductible! I was going to get the 950 XL for $450 from the MS store but since I was still paying the insurance for my L830 I figured I try and get a replacement. Can't wait to start fresh with WDRT and set up the latest Production build on it. Now I really hope the AT&T DTTW firmware arrives soon! :asleep:

maybe I should swap to the 830 (I have mobile protection from ATT on my line), then break the screen, and swap it out through assurion.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

If it is not under contract, and you do not have ATT service, and you own the phone outright, you can fill out the request online at their website, and they should give you the code.

I have a DS, but I used it w/ATT with no problems. I can guess I can look for a thread, but what MMS issues do you have? Did you call TMo and give them your IMEI?

I have had troubles on ATT where their system didn't pick up the IMEI when I swapped phones, and it caused MMS and internet issues.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If it is not under contract, and you do not have ATT service, and you own the phone outright, you can fill out the request online at their website, and they should give you the code.

I have a DS, but I used it w/ATT with no problems. I can guess I can look for a thread, but what MMS issues do you have? Did you call TMo and give them your IMEI?

I have had troubles on ATT where their system didn't pick up the IMEI when I swapped phones, and it caused MMS and internet issues.
Thanks to @Werentuckl, I'm good with the MMS issues! This was the thread actually: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/434888-mms-issues-lumia-950-t-mobile-help.html

My internet worked right off the bat actually, no work required.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
maybe I should swap to the 830 (I have mobile protection from ATT on my line), then break the screen, and swap it out through assurion.

I wouldn't go that far. I just told them I've been having hardware/software issues like screen flickering, crap battery life, random reboots, bad speaker and call volume, etc. All true for my old L830. Call them and find out. They had L950's to replace it with. Both white and black. Not too entertained with my new L950 so far though! :eck:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh? What's going on? Why not?

Just little things so far but I'll probably get used to them. The build quality is not nearly as good as the older Nokia built Lumia's but I knew that. The back cover does not seem to fit as secure as the one on the back of my L830 did. I should probably get a good case for it. I like the 950 in white but it's pretty slippery to hold.

The latest Production build on this phone feels a little different than it did when I had that same build on my L830. Then I updated the L830 to the AU update recently so I got used to that and liked it. Can't wait until AT&T releases it with the firmware update. I already miss DTTW more than anything else! And the first time I tried out the camera I was getting the same error over and over. But a soft reset seems to have fixed that. This was a certified like new phone from Asurion so hopefully no major issues with it or I'll replace it ASAP. Still would like to give the 950 XL a try though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just little things so far but I'll probably get used to them. The build quality is not nearly as good as the older Nokia built Lumia's but I knew that. The back cover does not seem to fit as secure as the one on the back of my L830 did. I should probably get a good case for it. I like the 950 in white but it's pretty slippery to hold.

The latest Production build on this phone feels a little different than it did when I had that same build on my L830. Then I updated the L830 to the AU update recently so I got used to that and liked it. Can't wait until AT&T releases it with the firmware update. I already miss DTTW more than anything else! And the first time I tried out the camera I was getting the same error over and over. But a soft reset seems to have fixed that. This was a certified like new phone from Asurion so hopefully no major issues with it or I'll replace it ASAP. Still would like to give the 950 XL a try though.

Ooh okay, I see. I hope that you wouldn't have any issues either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa