Another Quality OTA update Thanks MSFT

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What has always mystified me about this discussion is how is it that we are using the same phone (say 950XL), we have received the same firmware/ updates etc., we are (generally) using apps from the same app pool but yet have so massively differing experiences?

Lets take two 950XLs - one located somewhere in the US and the other located somewhere in India. Lets also assume each of them are fully updated. And everything is stock for both the phones. From what I am reading here (and elsewhere too) it seems that each device could (and often does) react differently to the same software (firmware/ updates). But how is this possible? Things like firmware are - or at least so I thought - not device-specific in the individual sense (like my or your 950XL). They deal with specific sets of devices (like ALL 950XL phones). I also assume that such software is designed accordingly and tested accordingly too. Then what accounts for such wildly differing experiences?

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm guessing the difference in experiences could also be software related... meaning... one person could have installed some apps and done some settings/configs in different way/order while the other person might have installed/updated/removed/reconfigured apps and settings in different ways/sequence and it may be leaving behind some files/settings causing the differing behaviour?

There's also a couple of other possibilities... one is different users have different stuff backed up online/onedrive/wherever and some may be restoring before or after updating OS/apps fully.

Other possibility is some users do or don't do soft versus hard resets - that may also be contributing to some differences in experiences.

Edit: and another possibility comes to mind is the hardware (phone , battery , charger etc) are defective but only in subtle ways.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Well, I see what you are saying, but frankly I am not sure the situations you mention should really have that much of an impact as is being reported on these forums and elsewhere (specifically about how the same family of devices is receiving and reacting to updates).

I would really like to know if there is a technical reason why this could happen.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply: 10586.545
FW: 16236.35006
HW Rev: 4.0.3.1

Two or three soft resets seem to make it better. Weird because I did soft reset it after the auto update...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Software apps can have a big impact, the differing services, and even carrier software, for example.

Some background processing "weirdness" is happening on >=AU builds, or at least I'm seeing significant battery and app usage, when the app was never used, yet it shows "foreground" drain during a time period (6 or 24 hours).
Firmware can be specific to carriers too, although it shouldn't be, in the case of the 950XL, in the US anyway.

I had that extreme battery-drain issue, and then a secondary less serious one, where I ended up doing 3 hard-resets, since the AU, that's at least 2 too many, or really 3, IMO. I did 1 hard-reset in all the Threshold builds (Release Preview) prior, in about 7 months, and that wasn't really necessary, like these others.

My Bluetooth doesn't work consistently since the AU builds too, maybe it will work, sometimes, or not, or maybe after 1-2 reboots.
It's a bit troubling, reliability just seems to me like it's at an all-time low, but I wasn't running RS builds before either.

Things are definitely unstable right now, maybe the "real" release will stabilize them, I'm hoping so anyway. As far as I can tell, there's still not been a final general release, unless I've missed something?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb