Another Quality OTA update Thanks MSFT

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Now it only takes three clicks of my power button to turn the phone on and the glance screen doesn't stay on.

Thanks MSFT!

Think you forgot the /s in your post...

Anyways, this seems odd. I don't think this is something others have reported. What phone and build do you have? Have you tried soft reset? What about a hard reset?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Scott Pisciotta
Now it only takes three clicks of my power button to turn the phone on and the glance screen doesn't stay on.

Thanks MSFT!

I know its a pain the rear, but after a firmware update, it may take a soft reset. Unfortunately, the advice usually given on here is a hard reset. Yes its a long drawn out process, but it usually sorts most issues. Depending on what you are running, TH or RS insider, you have a couple of choices. Put up with it if on TH and wait until the AU is available then HR. Maybe there is a reason why your device gets reset when installing FW through WDRT?

Have you checked glance settings? They may have changed.

Keep us posted as this hasn't been reported anywhere else.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'd probably be with him, I feel like we've stepped back, to around .107, with a nicer UI.

Network flakiness (both WiFi and Cell), hangs, store "weirdness", amongst other things, it's a tad frustrating.

Given the slowdown up here too, and the fact my CU has been talking about a UWP app, requiring the AU, I'm looking around a non-Windows replacements, at least for a couple of us in the family.
My wife's sick of all the hangs, not sure what she's doing, it's not like she really has any apps, past what I installed bone-stock for her, maybe a couple of games she plays with my daughter, who knows (I set all these to no background too). I'm getting a daily earful about why her phone just "quits working", and how she never knows what to do...
The one phone that works the best, by far, is hilariously by daughter's 1020, running 494, it basically has zero problems, go figure.

I think that MS should roll back to the Threshold base, or at least look at the mess merges, and try to straighten it out.

I bet there's too few of us giving feedback on hangs now, for it to really have much impact, in terms of things getting much attention, this is a big problem with the declining user-base (obviously my speculation/perception, but if you look at recent feedback, it's telling).

I'd like to be around, to turn off the lights, or move to a Surface phone, if it ever comes, but not if it means the phone is basically becomes less and less usable, in the meantime...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems he has a 950xl. Must be the production OS update that just came out. Sometimes a phone just needs a reboot to fix a few things.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'm also experiencing that issue on my L930 + L920 and double tap to wake is not responsive. So it's not solely isolated to particular 950 XL handsets. Maybe we're both just unlucky... :grincry:.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by TechFreak1
For what it's worth, I'm also experiencing that issue on my L930 + L920 and double tap to wake is not responsive. So it's not solely isolated to particular 950 XL handsets. Maybe we're both just unlucky... :grincry:.

Now that is odd. My daughter is running RS1 insider, and double tap works great. It works on our 950's just fine as well, although can't test 950xl as I HAVENT got the FW update yet!! Our 640's and 640xl also run RS1 insider, and they work as well. The AU is so stable that all 14 of my company devices are running it, and a crash/lock up or reboot is a vary rare occurence. I always HR on an update though. Utter pain, but I seem to have got lucky maybe?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

The odd thing about Windows 10 Mobile is that even the same phones appear to respond inconsistently. That's without comparing different phones. E.g. my 950xl has none of the issues OP does. But I have my own issues like when the screen dims, it doesn't brighten until a sleep. And the fact I only get SMS audible alerts when the phone is on. (They still arrive when off - my Band gets them!).

I think there are registry based settings that define some of the phone operation and depending on when a user jumps into builds, they can be set differently based on the OS upgrade migrations. I've tried to stay 'safe' on this phone but have been on Release Preview. Firmware is another reason they might be a little different... but our other 950 is the same with the SMS issue. That is on TH and mine is on RS1 RP. Very odd. There are some posts in Feedback hub where others are having this issue but clearly it's not everyone!

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I guess I'm just lucky. All updates have been successfully loaded (including the latest .545 OS update) and I have no issues at all. Everything is working as expected, including solid WiFi performance (including the full speed of my Internet service speed provisioning from my ISP on the 5GHz band), notification sounds when expected, power button turn on works with one press, glance screen stays on for time set, DTTW is responsive, etc. I am not using insider builds which may be the reason I'm not having any issues; or as I said I'm just lucky.

I guess if I had continuing issues I would use WDRT to stabilize the phone, let it process all subsequent updates, and then stay away from insider builds.

Just my two cents...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to have to retract one of my statements. D'oh!

I thought the OP was having a hissy fit until this afternoon. I have no Idea what has gone on, but mine has started doing it.

Glance on, press to wake, glance goes off. Press to wake, glance comes back on press again for lock screen. I'm on 14393.67, and it's been good until this. I just thought I'd imagined it after reading the OP yesterday. Does it all the time now, and I've changed nothing. Soft reset works for a while, then it reappears. I did a HR as well. Odd.....

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Gestures & Touch system app must be enabled to run in background. I think all system apps must be allowed in background for the phone to work as expected. I usually disable whatsapp and edge from running in background.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
yes i updated firmware...then installed latest windows insider build,installed all my apps now device hangs/store doesnt show new app updates...when i'm not insider still store doesnt show new updates so no panaroma in camera...everything was fine untill i update device firmware.....sad

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
yes i updated firmware...then installed latest windows insider build,installed all my apps now device hangs/store doesnt show new app updates...when i'm not insider still store doesnt show new updates so no panaroma in camera...everything was fine untill i update device firmware.....sad

You may be in the wrong thread.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The odd thing about Windows 10 Mobile is that even the same phones appear to respond inconsistently. That's without comparing different phones. E.g. my 950xl has none of the issues OP does. But I have my own issues like when the screen dims, it doesn't brighten until a sleep. And the fact I only get SMS audible alerts when the phone is on. (They still arrive when off - my Band gets them!).

I think there are registry based settings that define some of the phone operation and depending on when a user jumps into builds, they can be set differently based on the OS upgrade migrations. I've tried to stay 'safe' on this phone but have been on Release Preview. Firmware is another reason they might be a little different... but our other 950 is the same with the SMS issue. That is on TH and mine is on RS1 RP. Very odd. There are some posts in Feedback hub where others are having this issue but clearly it's not everyone!

Which is why to me personally WaaS will not work for consumer phones as the experience is so darn inconsistent, it makes trouble shooting thrice as hard lol.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it could be because I don't have "Glance" configured to run in the background; I have my background stuff very limited, to get good battery life.
Glance was a nightmare for me after I went to 14393.67 too, I had to reboot my device to unlock it, one of the times.

If you can enable it, then it should prompt you to enable background processing, and lock it in, until/if you disable Glance, or something similar, otherwise users can really hose themselves, and have a heck of a time figuring it out.
I just disabled Glance entirely, since I don't tend to use it anyway, so that solved my problem.

My WiFi consistency has gotten better, no system updates, but several app updates, so I'm wondering if maybe it was one of the apps, causing a system issue, who knows... Whatever it was, I'm getting decent, much more consistent WiFi performance now, same build.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue recently on the Redstone build before the latest one. Turning off the phone and then back on agian cured it for me, then a few days later the current build of Redstone came out, it hasn't happened again... yet. But then it usually takes a week or two before issues start cropping up with these builds.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue recently on the Redstone build before the latest one. Turning off the phone and then back on agian cured it for me, then a few days later the current build of Redstone came out, it hasn't happened again... yet. But then it usually takes a week or two before issues start cropping up with these builds.

I had it yesterday on .67. Suddenly started in the afternoon. Soft reset and all is good with the world again. At last, a simple fix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium