I'm starting to HATE my Lumia 640

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
my journey into Windows Mobile started last August, when I had to get a Surface tablet. I ended up with a Surface 3. I then found this website. During Thanksgiving I picked up a Lumia 640 for $30, to play around with. I was used to a Sony Xperia Z, but I was getting bored of Android.

In December, I switched full time to the Lumia 640 and really liked the UI. I got on the insider RELEASE path and really like Windows 10 Mobile.

But now, my love is dying and fast, why? Because of the idiotic decision to only have 8GB of storage, nearly 6GB is taken by the OS. So everytime an update comes through, I have to try to delete and move stuff (to SD card) just so I can download the update. It's driving me insane. Unfortunately, there are virtually no good options to upgrade to something with 16GB or room. I sorely tempted by the HP X3, but I want to hold out for the SURFACE PHONE, I just don't know if I can hold out that long.
I wish there was a better way to clear data from Mail and Calendar Apps. Considering that's were most of my data is at on the phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that 8GB doesn't really cut it anymore. 16GB is more "livable" for sure.

Unfortunately, there are virtually no good options to upgrade to something with 16GB or room.

How does Snapdragon 410, 16GB internal storage, 2GB RAM, SDXC UHS-I support, 5.5" 720p IPS LCD with ClearBlack and GG3, 13MP rear camera with dual LED flash, 5MP ffc, 2600 mAh battery, LTE bands 2/4/5/17 and built for Windows 10 sound?

They've dropped the price down to $230 (from $300).

The Moly X1... Fulfilled by Amazon so fast shipping from a US warehouse. FWIW, I test drove the X1's little sister, the Moly W5 and was impressed with the screen, the design language and the very tight build quality. http://forums.windowscentral.com/coship-moly-w5/433404-[user-reviews]-coship-moly-w5.html

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
If could get a 640 for equivalent of $30 in my neck of the woods, I wont be complain too much.... just saying...

Yeah, I agree that 8GB sucks. It won't work for me unless I'm a light user. Plug in a good fast 32GB SD card, and move/install/keep all your stuff on that.

Sent from mTalk

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that 8GB doesn't really cut it anymore. 16GB is more "livable" for sure.

How does Snapdragon 410, 16GB internal storage, 2GB RAM, SDXC UHS-I support, 5.5" 720p IPS LCD with ClearBlack and GG3, 13MP rear camera with dual LED flash, 5MP ffc, 2600 mAh battery, LTE bands 2/4/5/17 and built for Windows 10 sound?

They've dropped the price down to $230 (from $300).

The Moly X1... Fulfilled by Amazon so fast shipping from a US warehouse. FWIW, I test drove the X1's little sister, the Moly W5 and was impressed with the screen, the design language and the very tight build quality. http://forums.windowscentral.com/coship-moly-w5/433404-[user-reviews]-coship-moly-w5.html

For that price? Ehhh.. Maybe if it has a 6xx processor.

Raygreen3

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I put all the apps, photos, video and music on my sd card. There are some apps that have to be saved to the phone but for the most part I try to keep the phone memory as free as possible

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would of gotten the 640 XL. I love this phone so chunky and with official windows phone 10 its not laggy and I have a 32GB class 10 sd card inside and it's a beast of a phone 🙂 XL all the way (for me)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree that 8gb of storage is outdated. I'm not one who usually puts apps on an sd card but will give it a try. Does it slow the opening of apps significantly?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree that 8gb of storage is outdated. I'm not one who usually puts apps on an sd card but will give it a try. Does it slow the opening of apps significantly?

No in fact in my experience they work much better as the phone isn't "overloaded" id suggest moving all non essential / games apps to SD. Works well for me.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. My 640 is just my weekend phone as I'm not afraid it will get broken when out and about. My 950 is my work phone.

Id suggest buying an official Microsoft wallet hard shell flip case I have it on my L640 XL and its a godsend I have to say it protects the screen and its in stunning Cyan blue. Try it and see. 🙂

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Id suggest buying an official Microsoft wallet hard shell flip case I have it on my L640 XL and its a godsend I have to say it protects the screen and its in stunning Cyan blue. Try it and see.

I have a Mozo black leather back on it right now which makes it look sleek and professional. I'm not one to drop my phone, it was more the size. If I'm out biking, for instance, the 640 fits in my pocket better.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Mozo black leather back on it right now which makes it look sleek and professional. I'm not one to drop my phone, it was more the size. If I'm out biking, for instance, the 640 fits in my pocket better.

c6404672eeb0e7fc6561ab29909f4f9f.png
http://nokiaviews.com/lumia-640-xl-cc-3090-official-flip-cover-overview.html

It's so slim you wouldn't know its a cover 🙂

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^ The great thing about that type of case is that it replaces the battery cover so it adds only as much bulk as the (thin) flip cover and hinge. ^^^

About that SD card and Apps, be sure you are using a fast card. UHS-I would be preferable.

Also, under W10M you may have Apps that won't update from the store if they are on SD (wish this bug would get squashed). If you see Apps having errors when updating, move them to internal. If you are cramped for space, switch them back to SD after they update. It's a PITA I know...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
^^^ The great thing about that type of case is that it replaces the battery cover so it adds only as much bulk as the (thin) flip cover and hinge. ^^^

About that SD card and Apps, be sure you are using a fast card. UHS-I would be preferable.

Also, under W10M you may have Apps that won't update from the store if they are on SD (wish this bug would get squashed). If you see Apps having errors when updating, move them to internal. If you are cramped for space, switch them back to SD after they update. It's a PITA I know...

I guess it's also up to personal preference.

I for one thoroughly detest flip cases.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Yes agree wholly with you. I have to say it protects my near on ?300 / $450 Lumia 640 XL screen. When you live and breath tech you do anything to protect it.

And personal preference is important too so agree with all posts. 😊

Rimil0uz

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I understand people who complain of WP8/WM10 because of the lack of certain apps, because it is more restrictive than Android. Because the lack of mid-range devices from MS/Nokia. But are you serious? You pay 30 bucks for a mobile phone and then you complain it just has 8GB of ROM and it cant upgrade w/o moving data or making a hard-reset. Did you consider 1st than most of similar priced phones don't even have 8GB rom and much less recibe a single upgrade in their life? Would you be happier if like most under 100 bucks phones it hadn't had a single upgrade?

Wan Firas

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Rimil0uz
I understand people who complain of WP8/WM10 because of the lack of certain apps, because it is more restrictive than Android. Because the lack of mid-range devices from MS/Nokia. But are you serious? You pay 30 bucks for a mobile phone and then you complain it just has 8GB of ROM and it cant upgrade w/o moving data or making a hard-reset. Did you consider 1st than most of similar priced phones don't even have 8GB rom and much less recibe a single upgrade in their life? Would you be happier if like most under 100 bucks phones it hadn't had a single upgrade?

Well, back then apps were lightweight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon