What are the things at the very top called?

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 640 has a new "thing" at the very top. I cannot remember the noun for those things, so I cannot look them up. And using words like "image" only gets me to the wrong thing.

She's got something new up there next to the thing that looks like a data strength indicator, the Wi-Fi screen indicator and this new thing which sort of looks like bell with a zero there in the lower right corner of the bell. What are those things called?

And what is this new thing? What is it supposed to be telling us? It doesn't show up on my 640.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the status bar at the top... And the things are status icons. The bell actually has a crossed out circle next to it. ( 39548.png )

You can see it if you hold the volume button until it hits 0 when on the Start screen.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's the status bar at the top... And the things are status icons. The bell actually has a crossed out circle next to it. ( View attachment 129679 )

You can see it if you hold the volume button until it hits 0 when on the Start screen.

Thank you for responding. She has the volume at 10. And it still shows that. I don't understand. If this is for volume, then why is it telling us that it is at 0 when it very clearly is not?

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If this is for volume, then why is it telling us that it is at 0 when it very clearly is not?

Try a Soft Reset. Hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until the phone vibrates and reboots (about 10 seconds). Soft Reset is a great go-to to solve many types of glitch.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
It would be helpful if you can post a screen shot here, or even take a picture of the said bar using another phone and upload it here :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile has two volume sliders, one for apps and for notifications.

The former goes upto 30 and the latter only 10 however even at 10 it is pretty darn loud so I am not entirely sure on what measurement they agreed this one. Since on AU anything above 6 distorts the speakers quite heavily, I just hope the key testers haven't become tone deaf... :grincry::grincry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss