AUSTRALIANS! HP Elite X3 - Preorders/Orders/Delivery/ Review/ Problems Lets Reunite

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Quick Review..

Comparing with Lumia 950xl...

It feels much better in the hand, much better build quality, screen and audio (stereo out of top and bottom speakers)is much better IMO and is much faster (after installing the Anniversay update on the fast ring). The screen is larger, but when comparing the units together the HP is thinner and only a little bit taller/wider. It is heavier though, but in a good way, doesn't feel as cheap or plastic. Also the battery seems to be really holding up. No concrete tests yet, but it is noticebly better even after only less than 24 hours use.

The camera does have it's issues, but it sounds like they will be resolved in the firmware update on the 13th of September. Picture quality seems fine to me though.... Camera app reboots the phone when closing... No glance screen, but new firmware will also switch on the charging LED. Fingerprint reader works really well, (again after anniversary update) and logs me in quickly every time.

Out of the box it was buggy and laggy as hell, much slower than the 950xl, but after the update on fast insider ring, it's now flying along, completely different experience.

The docking station works on the 950xl and vice versa the HP works on the microsoft dock. It's a shame that the pre-installed HP software does nothing... only goes to website links or shows basic device information... Feels like it just wasn't ready to release. It will get better with updates quite quickly however.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick review, I like this phone and probably will get one also. Appreciate if someone can post some camera picture samples here especially those low light picture.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder guys, we have dedicated Review and Photo threads in the sticky section at the top of the forum.

Congrats to those getting their hands on this beast. We all want to know more, no matter what country we are in. :cool:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I like the reviews as well buts it was mostly designed and built for business use. I'd like to read real world business reviews.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Out of the box it was buggy and laggy as hell, much slower than the 950xl, but after the update on fast insider ring, it's now flying along, completely different experience.

The docking station works on the 950xl and vice versa the HP works on the microsoft dock. It's a shame that the pre-installed HP software does nothing... only goes to website links or shows basic device information... Feels like it just wasn't ready to release. It will get better with updates quite quickly however.

Thank you for the review! I'm curious as to exactly what was snipped out of your previous post. Judging by worldspy99's comment, I would have assumed you put it up for sale! :unhappysweat: However, that doesn't really reconcile with your review.

I'm eagerly looking for any and all real world info I can find on this device. The HP Elite X3 is the first device in several years that has even the beginnings of any chance at all to make me start to even think about casting the first furtive glance back in WP/W10M/WM's (I hate how there is no one umbrella term we can use for Microsoft's mobile devices without being corrected on technicalities! :confused:) direction. However, I am quite concerned about exactly what you have said here. I hope that it's hamstrung state at release doesn't kill it in the public's mind before it gets out of the gate. In my opinion, HP would have been better off to delay its release a couple weeks.

I am also wondering why there is not yet a peep about HP Workspace's cost. I still cannot believe that people are jumping on this device when its single biggest selling point is still a big question mark, both in price and in functionality. Also, this "soon" aspect of HPW is not comforting! Where have we heard "soon" before???

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I did put it up for sale. It's on ebay in Australia. The reason being .. it's a great phone... but it's useless for business.

Why? Well for my job I travel the country selling software systems. I bought all the required equipment, bluetooth keyboard, mouse, projector, miracast adapter so that I could present straight off the unit. All works well, except for the fact that:

Continuum has to be run with the screen on
Continuum shuts down after no activity for a maximum of 5 minutes (which happens all the time if attendees are asking questions etc)
Microsoft Edge doesn't display web sites across 100% of the browser window and the zoom functionality is just plain broken on continuum.
HP had demoed new settings for continuum to keep the screen awake longer etc, but its nowhere to be found
There is still no decent app on windows to access networked drives or folders (ie most of our sales documents are stored on a NAS drive on the network, so cannot access view or edit these files in word etc)
I do alot of flying and unfortunately the Qantas app has not been updated in years...... can't check in or do anything with my flights (not to mention the onboard entertainment systems only work with android/iphone).
I have a garmin fenix 3 watch and the anniversary updated has broken blueooth. I'm sure Garmin will update their app soon, but I have a feeling they are waiting for microsoft to fix bluetooth.

Don't get me wrong.. there's nothing wrong with the HP as a phone... it's the software thats lacking for a business device.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I did put it up for sale. It's on ebay in Australia. The reason being .. it's a great phone... but it's useless for business.

<snip>

Don't get me wrong.. there's nothing wrong with the HP as a phone... it's the software thats lacking for a business device.

If this isn't the ultimate irony...

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Why? Well for my job I travel the country selling software systems. I bought all the required equipment, bluetooth keyboard, mouse, projector, miracast adapter so that I could present straight off the unit. All works well, except for the fact that:

Continuum has to be run with the screen on
Continuum shuts down after no activity for a maximum of 5 minutes (which happens all the time if attendees are asking questions etc)
Microsoft Edge doesn't display web sites across 100% of the browser window and the zoom functionality is just plain broken on continuum.
HP had demoed new settings for continuum to keep the screen awake longer etc, but its nowhere to be found
There is still no decent app on windows to access networked drives or folders (ie most of our sales documents are stored on a NAS drive on the network, so cannot access view or edit these files in word etc)
I do alot of flying and unfortunately the Qantas app has not been updated in years...... can't check in or do anything with my flights (not to mention the onboard entertainment systems only work with android/iphone).
I have a garmin fenix 3 watch and the anniversary updated has broken blueooth. I'm sure Garmin will update their app soon, but I have a feeling they are waiting for microsoft to fix bluetooth.

It's sad that u putting the device up for sale so soon..it kinda de-motivate to get the phone :shocked:

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Before I begin to write my review, let me tell you about my love for Windows Phone
I moved into the land of Windows Phone with my Lumia 800 from a HTC Chacha(Facebook Android Phone) in the year 2011 - After that I have owned a Lumia 920, 1020, 1520, (930 for sometime), back to 1520 and then 950 XL (broke my screen), back to 1520 and now finally the beast HP Elite X3. I mentioned all this because my views for Windows Phone could be biased because I love everything about this platform so much over any other platform.
I also owe a Ipad Mini Air 2 - for the apps I dont have on my Windows Eco system

Now about HP Elite X3
The beast of phones -
Design - Although the phone is massive like 1520, it is practically all screen with minimal bezels. There are thin slivers on the side, while the top and bottom extend by roughly a cm to make room for the smartphone's B&O stereo speakers. To be honest it gives you a Premium Feel when you hold in your hand similar to holding an Iphone ( I bet Apple makes the best looking hardware they are really good in Aesthetics) but this phone as I said is no way less.
The build quality is awesome as lancelin2k7 said.

Touch Screen:
As responsive as the Lumia 950XL.- Haven't used the HP Pen though. A little laggy but have not updated to the fast ring waiting for the formal update on 13th December

The windows Hello Iris recognition is similar to the Lumia 950 XL- The finger print sensor not working yet.

Battery:
Its battery life is pretty good. Under normal circumstances, this phone can power you through the day without any problem. Much better than Lumia 950 XL - I think I spoilt/damaged my Lumia's battery by overcharging.

Camera:
I would say as good as Lumia 950 XL but it crashes quite frequently. May be the Anniversary Update fixes that. Also opening the camera app occasionally reboots the phone. Miss the camera button( I knew its a business phone first so no regrets - just miss it)

No overheating problems have been detected on the X3. Unfortunately, myLumia 950 XL has been plagued by overheating issues since the day I got it

Occasionally sharing to WhatsApp crashes

Again as lancelin2k7 said - It's a shame that the pre-installed HP software does nothing... only goes to website links or shows basic device information... Feels like it just wasn't ready to release.

Talking about the App Gap - I think its unrelated to HP Elite X3 but yes that is 1 thing that will determine the success of this Windows Phone - They need Apps - most of the banking apps are missing or are outdated, I dont yet have DJI Phantom Drone app (have to use my Ipad instead), Even the Outlook App on Ios is better with focused and other categories; I dont use google apps but I think google apps are must for this platform to succeed so that people from other platforms starts to migrate, we can survive without google apps but we cannot grow without google apps; Some people will defend that we dont use those apps like Snapchat etc but I think these apps are must/required to complete our ecosystem so that youngsters can move and grow our ecosystem
Continuum is really good to use but minimal apps makes its use minimal. It restarts/reboots occasionally when making conference calls/using camera/ sometimes anytime ( I keep it to myself and probably thinks that it will get better with the Anniversary update but don't know if it will really get better) - Everyone in my family and friends think what crazy person I am - because I am the only one in their close vicinity who uses a Windows phone.

Conclusion:I love this phone and am not going to part or sell it, I will also get a Laptop dock when its available. It occasionally reboots but i still love it, I just pray that 1 day our ecosystem is as complete as the ios/android ecosystem - hope the Universal Windows Platform is a success.

At the end:
The phone is must have for all Windows Phone lovers!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers