Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update Issues in AT&T Lumia 1520

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Greetings.

To make a summary of the amount of issues known with this Anniversary update, I'll start adding what is happening to me and my AT&T Lumia 1520.

1. Lock screen seems to turns on slow, either by double tap or pressing the button.
2. Since first Preview and official release of W10 there's a weird noise and sound distortion when alarm is on. Also, it appears sometimes in notifications.
3. Battery is drained faster.
4. Tiles does not update sometimes. (For example; Calendar tile)
5. The phone gets laggy sometimes.
6. When Preview release / official and before this anniversary update, the cellular signal stoped working sometimes. (Haven't comfirmed if the issue persist).
7. The brightness is messed up. It constantly goes higher by itself and goes back to normal after 2 seconds. Mostly when is the phone is about to lock. (And no, the auto-brightness isn't on)

Haven't noticed anyother issue, but maybe you can relate to or some others.

I've made a reset to Factory but no luck solving.

EDIT. Third day after I updated the phone.

8. Notifications don't work sometimes.

I think I know what's going on. When you set the time to make then phone to lock itself (30 secs, 1 min, 5 min, never) the screen goes opaque or a bit darker 5-10 seconds before locking. That's how normally worked in W8.1 and W10 before anniversary update. But it's happening the opposite when you set it to LOW. Instead of going darker 5-10 min before locking itself, it goes brighter. If you set it to Mid or High, it works as it should be. Setting it in auto doesn't work either way.

EDIT 03-SEP-2016

I manage to solve some of the issues, specially the one related to the brightness in LOW mode. What did I do:

1. Rolling back to W8.1 using Recovery Tool.
  2. Once the Phone is available to use, turn off apps auto update and just update the OS to the lastest W8.1 version.
  3. Download Advisor and update to W10. Once again, turn off apps auto update, instantly.
  4. Perform a Factory reset.
  5. Downoad Anniversary Update.
  6. Perform a Factory reset again.

That's it.

The issues still remaining:

1, 2.
4: It's happening with Windows Central and Cortana Tile (Now that I'm using it).
6: Since update, happened once.

EDIT Sept 23 - 2016

I've discovered new bugs since last time I edited.

9. A Little bar sticks in the top of the screen when you hide back the action center screen.
10. Bluetooth action center icon not working properly. Also, it takes like forever to switch off.
11. Since the first time I used Bluetooth again to reproduce music in my car, in this anniversary update, when I'm gonna make a call the speaker icon turns on itself, turns off inmediately and then Bluetooth icon turns on. I have to turn it off always. I do not use any Bluetooth headset or earpods. Also, I don't know if this issue is related to the number 10 I've mentioned.

I cannot update to 14393.189 build.

This error shows up always. 0x800f081f

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
  1. What apps are on your lockscreen? Notifications and such - can you remove them one by one and test? I would start with Cortana if you have that
  2. Does the distortion change with changing volume?
  3. Check apps that are heavy energy users
  4. Calendar not updating is a common bug in AU as per many negative feedback shared in the forums
  5. Again, what runs in the background? Do you have Cortana on start screen?
  6. You can try for a SIM replacement
  7. Not sure about that - do you have a screen protector or cover?

ukfan84

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
To add to the issues list:

- Battery is getting hot with no apps running
- SMS text environment is beautiful but takes 20-30 secs ON AVERAGE to load conversations and to confirm texts are sent out
- Live tiles for phone, emails, SMS aren't clearing the notifications once I check a message or missed call

General lag is to be expected I think but the messaging issue makes we want to downgrade.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Skinshifter
Greetings.

To make a summary of the amount of issues known with this Anniversary update, I'll start adding what is happening to me and my AT&T Lumia 1520.

1. Lock screen seems to turns on slow, either by double tap or pressing the button.
2. Since first Preview and official release of W10 there's a weird noise and sound distortion when alarm is on. Also, it appears sometimes in notifications.
3. Battery is drained faster.
4. Tiles does not update sometimes. (For example; Calendar tile)
5. The phone gets laggy sometimes.
6. When Preview release / official and before this anniversary update, the cellular signal stoped working sometimes. (Haven't comfirmed if the issue persist).
7. The brightness is messed up. It constantly goes higher by itself and goes back to normal after 2 seconds. Mostly when is the phone is about to lock. (And no, the auto-brightness isn't on)

EDIT:

8. Notifications don't work sometimes.

Answers/Solutions:-
1-5. Wait for upcoming fixes.
6. I'm facing this seldom, whenever I'm in my bed room.
7.Go to Settings>Display. Turn off Automatic Brightness. Switch brightness to high then medium and Then LOW. Now turn on Automatic brightness from Display page.

*Automatic Brightness isn't working properly on Action Centre.
8. Go to Settings>Privacy>background apps. Choose 1 option .

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
  1. What apps are on your lockscreen? Notifications and such - can you remove them one by one and test? I would start with Cortana if you have that
  2. Does the distortion change with changing volume?
  3. Check apps that are heavy energy users
  4. Calendar not updating is a common bug in AU as per many negative feedback shared in the forums
  5. Again, what runs in the background? Do you have Cortana on start screen?
  6. You can try for a SIM replacement
  7. Not sure about that - do you have a screen protector or cover?

1. I don't have Cortana. WhatsApp, Outlook, Xbox, Skype, SMS and Calls, are the lockscreen notifications
  2. The distortion and noise sounds like speaker damaged and it does not change with volumen. With W8.1 That never happened and I proved it many times by Rolling back.
  3. WhatsApp and Start are the top drainer. Although, WhatsApp did not drain in W8.1 as it does more now in W10, don't know why.
  4. I don't have Cortana, like I said. The phone lags when you go to Settings or when you're in the notification center, mostly.
  5. Is not about SIM. I've proved it too switching from W8.1 to W10 and rolling back, many times before. That doesn't happen in W8.1
  6. This is the most recent bug I've discovered and it is making me crazy. I don't have a screen protector. In any case, ?what does a screen protector has to do with brightness settings moving itself when I have sat it to low?

Thanks for your reply but it seems W10 Mobile is far away to be what W8.1 is. It might look so cool and it's appeal looks hot but man, ?how many years in development and still no stable version?

Keep the post with more bugs and hope some solutions.

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Answers/Solutions:-
1-5. Wait for upcoming fixes.
6. I'm facing this seldom, whenever I'm in my bed room.
7.Go to Settings>Display. Turn off Automatic Brightness. Switch brightness to high then medium and Then LOW. Now turn on Automatic brightness from Display page.

*Automatic Brightness isn't working properly on Action Centre.
8. Go to Settings>Privacy>background apps. Choose 1 option .

I think I know what's going on. When you set the time to make then phone to lock itself (30 secs, 1 min, 5 min, never) the screen goes opaque or a bit darker 5-10 seconds before locking. That's how normally worked in W8.1 and W10 before anniversary update. But it's happening the opposite when you set it to LOW. Instead of going darker 5-10 min before locking itself, it goes brighter. If you set it to Mid or High, it works as it should be. Setting it in auto doesn't work either way.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
  1. I don't have Cortana. WhatsApp, Outlook, Xbox, Skype, SMS and Calls, are the lockscreen notifications
  2. The distortion and noise sounds like speaker damaged and it does not change with volumen. With W8.1 That never happened and I proved it many times by Rolling back.
  3. WhatsApp and Start are the top drainer. Although, WhatsApp did not drain in W8.1 as it does more now in W10, don't know why.
  4. I don't have Cortana, like I said. The phone lags when you go to Settings or when you're in the notification center, mostly.
  5. Is not about SIM. I've proved it too switching from W8.1 to W10 and rolling back, many times before. That doesn't happen in W8.1
  6. This is the most recent bug I've discovered and it is making me crazy. I don't have a screen protector. In any case, ?what does a screen protector has to do with brightness settings moving itself when I have sat it to low?

Thanks for your reply but it seems W10 Mobile is far away to be what W8.1 is. It might look so cool and it's appeal looks hot but man, ?how many years in development and still no stable version?

Keep the post with more bugs and hope some solutions.

Okay, forget Cortana, I assumed you would have it since this is an AT & T phone
Does the distortion change with different tones? If you changed your alarm tone to something else?
Whatsapp has more features and they've been updating regularly - see if there's an update pending
Some screen protectors affect the proximity sensor or the light sensor thus making them misbehave - several forum users have reported this

In the end, if this does not improve for you and you find the experience really bad, try a factory reset with no restore

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
To add to the issues list:

- Battery is getting hot with no apps running
- SMS text environment is beautiful but takes 20-30 secs ON AVERAGE to load conversations and to confirm texts are sent out
- Live tiles for phone, emails, SMS aren't clearing the notifications once I check a message or missed call

General lag is to be expected I think but the messaging issue makes we want to downgrade.

You have an AT & T branded 1520 with the same issues as the OP?

Try a factory reset, especially if you're facing all these issues after AU

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I haven't experienced the reverse effect of brightness on my Lumia yet. And I'm always using Automatic mode indoors.

Maybe it's your 1520's firmware issue.
Or, You've to try Hard Reset then.

ukfan84

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I do have an ATT 1520 but I can only confirm 1,3,4,5.

*** Forgot to mention that Message Center now loads reasonably after the update earlier. Sent SMS messages still take 20 seconds to confirm they were sent

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I tried changing alarm tone and didn't work. Sometimes, the distortion and noise appears in notification tones. I did try Factory reset twice.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Greetings.

1. Lock screen seems to turns on slow, either by double tap or pressing the button. Don't see that issue, not instantaneous, however
2. Since first Preview and official release of W10 there's a weird noise and sound distortion when alarm is on. Also, it appears sometimes in notifications. My alarm does distort slightly, sometimes (mostly ReAlarm)
3. Battery is drained faster. That takes a few days to iron out, check apps in background, check Battery for HI Consumers - My battery is GOOD, full day, easily ...
4. Tiles does not update sometimes. (For example; Calendar tile) Known issue
5. The phone gets laggy sometimes. NOT mine, sharp, quick ...
6. When Preview release / official and before this anniversary update, the cellular signal stoped working sometimes. (Haven't comfirmed if the issue persist).Heard about that, have NOT had that issue.
7. The brightness is messed up. It constantly goes higher by itself and goes back to normal after 2 seconds. Mostly when is the phone is about to lock. (And no, the auto-brightness isn't on) I keep mine on medium & calibrated color/brightness in Settings >>Extras>>Display = no issues

EDIT. Third day after I updated the phone.

8. Notifications don't work sometimes. Sometimes, in addition, custom text tones don't work ... Issues with Glance screen NOT working are remediated by Soft Reset, however, IF you reset, again ... Glance screen does NOT work, almost like a toggle OFF/ON

I have an AT&T Lumia 1520 running 14393.103 (latest) comments in RED (above).

Jamie Unseld

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Just an update:

Battery issues still persist and seem to be related directly to the mobile radio and/or messaging. Messages still take 30 seconds on average to send after the button is pressed. I did get the weird audio distortion issues mentioned above but that has only happened once. The battery still gets hot on phone calls and the phone has to remain plugged in all day if the radio is enabled.

Jamie Unseld

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
*Update*

Battery and messaging issues seems to be fixed over the weekend (potentially late last week). Phone is finally usable without being tethered to a wall. I now consider this update a significant improvement over the last version of Win8.1 I had.

Current setup
OS build: 10.0.14393.67
Firmware rev.: 02540.00019.14484.37028
Hardware rev.: 4.1.0.0
Radio software version: 201c110.00039.0001

:grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member