What does the RM version mean?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to get an XL but I'm seeing variations of RM numbers when searching. What does that number mean? I need the phone to work on ATT

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I remember reading somewhere that the "RM" stands for Reference Model. Not sure, though. Regardless, if you're on AT&T, go for the single sim. That model will get LTE on their network. I think the dual sim model will, as well, but if you're not needing dual sim, there's no reason to get it.
Yes. You can use that sim card.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Still new to the whole Lumia world, but from I gather is just model numbers. Example I can come up with and feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Lets say you have a Lumia 950XL you're going to buy. But aren't sure or isn't clear if its the Double Sim or Single Sim variant. RM-1116 is the Double Sim Model while RM-1085 is the single sim. Only thing that sets them part is the obvious difference in the Sim slots.

As far as working on AT&T. I'm using the Single Sim 950XL (RM-1085) which has all the bands T-Mobile and AT&T use for 3G and LTE. Anything carrier specific like Visual Voice Mail or VoLTE or WifiCalling might not work.

With T-Mobile I'm able to pickup the few towers around SoCal that are using the rare Band12 LTE. Visual Voice Mail works fine and VoLTE does not or WifiCalling. My circumcises doesn't NEED any of those so phone works fine for me.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Still new to the whole Lumia world, but from I gather is just model numbers. Example I can come up with and feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Lets say you have a Lumia 950XL you're going to buy. But aren't sure or isn't clear if its the Double Sim or Single Sim variant. RM-1116 is the Double Sim Model while RM-1085 is the single sim. Only thing that sets them part is the obvious difference in the Sim slots.

As far as working on AT&T. I'm using the Single Sim 950XL (RM-1085) which has all the bands T-Mobile and AT&T use for 3G and LTE. Anything carrier specific like Visual Voice Mail or VoLTE or WifiCalling might not work.

With T-Mobile I'm able to pickup the few towers around SoCal that are using the rare Band12 LTE. Visual Voice Mail works fine and VoLTE does not or WifiCalling. My circumcises doesn't NEED any of those so phone works fine for me.
AT&T Visual Voicemail works on the 950XL.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RM model numbers basically distinguish variants of the same model from each other. They usually denote variations in localization, whether the phone is dual-SIM or not and/or what bands they have.

For example the RM-820 and RM-821 are both Lumia 920's yet they have minor differences in their bands, potentially have different language options, etc. Also sometimes, RM models can be carrier-specific.

I don't know the 950 XL's RM's off the top of my head though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel