Modifying 950XL to use PMA and Qi

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Since 950 can do this, I am thinking about modifying the back cover of my 950XL with the charging components from a spare 950 back that I have.

Has anyone tried to this already with success? I think the way 950 has setup is the way to go, since the two standards are slowing the popularity of wireless charging.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
But the 950XL already has Qi charging...

Of course, but it doesn't have PMA. That's the whole point of this thread, is to make 950XL able to use both PMA and Qi. PMA is popular in some places, for example Starbucks. They don't offer Qi charging. To be able to have both standards increase the usability of wireless charging.

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Here is essentially the issue that you'd need to overcome:

"The only real difference between Qi and PMA are the transmission frequencies and connection protocols used to communicate with devices and control power management."

While the transmission frequencies could be overcome with that modification you are thinking of, the protocols and communication would have to be enabled in the OS and the firmware. You can't hack these phones like you could the Palm hardware, so I doubt there is much you could do about integration.

That said, there are always the kludgey methods such as buying a case/back that plugs in to the port and grants the ability to charge. I doubt you would want that either.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since 950 can do this, I am thinking about modifying the back cover of my 950XL with the charging components from a spare 950 back that I have.

I see where you are going with this and... Right On. Power to the People.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/402449-unlocked-950-pma-wireless-charging.html

I assume the 950 battery cover you have shows two coils (one NFC and one PMA/Qi) is that right?

On the charger coil, is there just one set of pins? Can you make those line up with the pins on the 950 XL body?

I say it is worth trying. Note that in the above linked thread someone from Mozo told the guy that PMA was only compatible with the AT&T variant, but I smell legal disclaimer. If the PMA coil feeds into the pins on the body it should charge. The chip in the battery and the OS should take care of everything else.

FWIW, people who have the AT&T 1520 which only has PMA have successfully modded Qi just by attaching a coil.

Good luck and let us know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs