HP speaker grill metal or plastic?

AI_Skipper

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I've seen in a few posts from people hating on the Elite X3 that they don't like the speaker grill. They mentioned it being plastic-y. Is it in fact made from metal looking plastic, or metal itself? If it is plastic what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Remember that the x3 is meant mainly for a business environment and not ordinary consumers - the hp workstations aren't that good looking but people buy them for their ruggedness, not aesthetics

AI_Skipper

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I understand this, I was just wondering whether that shiny bit at the bottom was in fact shiny plastic or metal, because plastic would scuff and expose the presumably black plastic underneath.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The bottom cap is plastic as it's supposed to minimize scratches and absorb falls better than metal would. Metal might make damage and scratches more visible than plastic would (scratches on aluminum tend to be very noticeable), that seems to be why it's plastic.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The bottom cap is plastic as it's supposed to minimize scratches and absorb falls better than metal would. Metal might make damage and scratches more visible than plastic would (scratches on aluminum tend to be very noticeable), that seems to be why it's plastic.

BS. Its cheap, thats why.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I understand this, I was just wondering whether that shiny bit at the bottom was in fact shiny plastic or metal, because plastic would scuff and expose the presumably black plastic underneath.
And the fact that chrome finish on plastic is total sucker move. I thought it was stainless.

AI_Skipper

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
If its plastic I won't believe for a second that it'll hide scuffs and scratches better than metal. I have never seen chrome plastic which didn't instantly look cheap and horrid after a minor drop or scratch. I know this is for business so now as big of a deal as if it was for the consumer market, but this feels like a move from HP to force businesses to but the cases as well to help keep their investment in tip top condition.

AI_Skipper

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
And the fact that chrome finish on plastic is total sucker move. I thought it was stainless.

As did I. I won't be ordering this then. From experience, chrome finish on plastic looks terrible within a week.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You might want to try to see it in person, I heard from my local MS store that they'd have demo units (or at least a good quality video if you can't see it yourself). It's not as bad as you seem to think. The only way you can tell it's not metal is because it's not cooler to the touch. No fingerprints or scratches. It's nothing like the old iPods (if you've seen those for comparison).
Of course, it's your opinion. I didn't even notice at first so I wouldn't personally cancel my own order over it.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
For those curious, the Elite x3 bottom is plastic (polycarbonate) with non-conductive coating technology (NCVM) using titanium dioxide.

Plastic/NVCM gives more than metal, is better for shock, is lighter and it does not interfere with signal reception (most phone antennas are at the bottom). The Elite x3 is already a hair heavier than an iPhone 6S Plus. Adding weight while reducing it's shock absorption value is not the right way to go.

For people talking about "stainless steel" in a phone, I think you're being ridiculous. Metal would also not have helped with Mil 810 drop test and IP 67 rating. Everyone loved Nokia for using polycarb and that is what this phone uses with the addition of some vacuum plating for flair. No big deal.

Also, in using the phone for a week now there is so far no issues with it, nor have I seen any reported.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
but this feels like a move from HP to force businesses to but the cases as well to help keep their investment in tip top condition.

Conspiracy. There is no evidence this phone, which many have, has any issues with the bottom. The phone is Mil 810 drop tested and IP 67, you don't need a case.

Nonetheless, like any 6-inch phone is can be hard to hold onto just like my, I dunno, giant iPhone, which is metal and chips/scratches just by looking at it. Have you used/tried an iPhone with metal for a few days without a case? It might as well be made from butter.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The best thing to hit the Windows Phone marketplace in a very long time and we are expressing doubts about plastic and or metal speaker grills. WOW Has it occurred to anyone that if this phone is made for the business environ, that any extra weight of something you have to carry around all day is very bad, Wait until you actually have your hands on the phone before making statements such as those here.

AI_Skipper

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
. The phone is Mil 810 drop tested and IP 67, you don't need a case.

Try rubbing some steel wool over the speaker grill to replicate use without a case then. In and out of pockets, scratched on table-tops, dropped catch on watches.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Try rubbing some steel wool over the speaker grill to replicate use without a case then. In and out of pockets, scratched on table-tops, dropped catch on watches.

This assumes your "test" is a real world example of wear and tear. I have no reason to believe that "rubbing steel wool" over my phone is a test of anything but rubbing steel wool on my phone.

Does HP say this phone is scratch proof? Polycarbonate will also scratch, so the point is what? I've had the phone as my main device for 8 days, no scratches. There are no others complaining about it, but you're here making hypotheticals to prove your point? If you are worried about such things, put a case on the phone. End of story.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate this being a bad decision by HP. So far, you have only proved that you can make up weird requirements and tests for a phone.

I'd be more worried about scratching the giant display than the grill. GG4 is good for shock and drops, but can be scratched easier than GG3 IIRC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss