HP SMB order of Elite X3 and Lap Dock

Random Parsley

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I was poking around the HP.com consumer site last night, which seems to have the Elite X3 flick between being available and unavailable. I was on a list of accessories, followed the anti-fingerprint screen protector, clicked to order online, and ended up on the HP Small Medium Business (SMB) site: HP: Supplies, Accessories, Services & Software - HP and Other Brands

It had no search loaded for me, so I input "Elite X3" and scrolled to two versions of the phone...with and without the Desk Dock. I don't actually have a use case for the Desk Dock; it's all about the Lap Dock for me. From everything I've seen, there was no specific date when the Lap Dock would become available, just about a month after the phone release. I'd never seen it anywhere where I could put it in a cart.

I selected the phone alone for $699, then configured various accessories I wanted, including the Lap Dock, wireless charger, anti-fingerprint screen protector, and a USB-C to HDMI adapter. They confirmed the order this morning. I will of course not receive the Lap Dock any earlier than anybody else (no est ship date on my order), but this allowed me to build the bundle I really wanted, and it's nice to have it all ordered. I did make sure that I ticked the box to send items as they became available, instead of all at once. The phone shows shipping 9/26, as expected. Interestingly, even though the wireless charger shows as "Coming Soon" on the consumer site, my order lists it, along with the screen protector and HDMI cable, as shipping on 9/23. We'll see...

Random Parsley

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, here's what the line item detail looks like for the main order (phone and Lap Dock). They broke the accessories into a separate sub-order since they are coming from a different fulfillment center and via a different shipper. It's nice to see "9/26/2016" for the phone. I confess that it's going to be hard for me to summon the patience to wait for "00/00/0000" for the Lap Dock, which I really want to play with. While it's nice to have it officially ordered, I wish we had some idea on a release date. I try to only refresh this page once a day, just to show how patient I am.

Invoice-detail1.jpg

Invoice-detail2.jpg

loudog3114

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Jesus, 600 bucks for the lap dock? Very tough sell in my book, with the competition at that price point in full scale laptops. Might make more sense to the enterprise as it is effectively a zero client, and presumably comes with a three year warranty for that price. But as a home user (aka, even as the IT manager there's no way I could get my company to pay for this device for me) that lap dock is just way too pricey.

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
599 for the lapdock!!!! WTF!!!! It doesnt have a processor or ram or hard drive... its just a battery screen and keyboard, how the hell does it cost that much

Ozmand

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Well the price doesn't come as a surprise to me due to the enterprise nature of the device. My latitude from work cost 2200. That doesn't mean I approve of the price. I do hope that more affordable "consumer" versions are made in the future.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
@Random Parsley, Good for you. That's the bundle I would like. I'm more interested in the LapDock than the DeskDock.
It's unfortunate that HP placed such a high price for the LapDock itself.

Random Parsley

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
Yep, they're very proud of it (e.g., it's expensive and over-priced). If we think of it as a souped up docking station (meaning it has all of the ports, plus the keyboard and monitor to which a regular docking station helps you connect), it's still too pricey, but less crazy. A normal HP or Lenovo docking station runs $175-250. I expect this to cost more than that. $300 would make sense. I chose to go with it at $599 because I can, and I want to experiment with it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well the price doesn't come as a surprise to me due to the enterprise nature of the device. My latitude from work cost 2200. That doesn't mean I approve of the price. I do hope that more affordable "consumer" versions are made in the future.

Actually the reverse should be true as any enterprise worth its salt would have a purchase agreement with a company like HP that offers them discounts over the retail price. I cant see any enterprise bigger than a 2 man startup paying full price for these things so I don't think that's any excuse for the ridiculous pricing apart from purely being a markup price so they lose less after applying a discount.

Ozmand

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Actually the reverse should be true as any enterprise worth its salt would have a purchase agreement with a company like HP that offers them discounts over the retail price. I cant see any enterprise bigger than a 2 man startup paying full price for these things so I don't think that's any excuse for the ridiculous pricing apart from purely being a markup price so they lose less after applying a discount.

Of course the company didn't pay that price. The personal laptops at my home are all business class but I would never pay the ridiculous markup prices that they charge. I didn't mean for my reply to sound like I was defending HP. The asking price for the consumer is terrible imo. I just was expecting it to be priced high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos