To buy or not to buy?

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have just bought two 950s for myself and my wife , for EUR299 each from the MS Store. No contract, just pay as you go, so minimal monthly costs thanks to wifi internet and offline navigation (no data) filling our needs. Black is out of stock, so got white, although we are both putting a Mozo cover on it anyway. OS and app updates took a couple of hours, but absolutely no stability issues via the standard updates (not Insider program). All settings saved from our previous Lumia 820s so setup is easy. Wireless charging works very well, no overheating or warmth from the phone at all. Great camera, apps load fast and run smoothly, and all the banking and other apps we want, are available. We aren't teenagers so don't need Snapchat or Pokemon. Very much recommended, especially since you know Windows 10 Mobile OS is going to be updated monthly for the forseeable future, so no security worries like Android, and it's less than half the price of an iPhone, for arguably better hardware (certainly a bigger battery, more storage and better camera). Just make sure to keep the Microsoft version of Facebook installed, since that runs much smoother than the new Facebook Facebook app.

Last edited:

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a 6 week old 950DS with the brown MOZO cover for just 235€. With the latest firmware update and RS2 coming soon (which runs great on my 930 already), I am really looking forward to the upgrade. Specifically the camera (I am in photography and the Lumias are great for that) and Windows Hello should be cool. 5,2" vs. 5,0 is nice too.

Marc Archambault1

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased a brand new used off of kijiji for $200 Canadian. I had a 1020 but it died so I was stuck using my company provided iPhone 5s for the past year... I love the windows os : ) I will say a couple of apps are missing or are no longer compatible. Proshot camera is charging me again? Lumia Refocus not compatible, any suggestions?

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm very close to buying a 950 but need someone to give me a real world example of battery life. More and more I find myself away from a power socket and I really need my phone to last a minimum of 1.5 days. If this is possible whilst doing light web surfing and taking photographs I'll get one

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Difficult to say but it does have a removable battery so you could always carry an extra one if need be.

Originally posted by sidtek50
I'm very close to buying a 950 but need someone to give me a real world example of battery life. More and more I find myself away from a power socket and I really need my phone to last a minimum of 1.5 days. If this is possible whilst doing light web surfing and taking photographs I'll get one

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I don;t know if it will make it there for you. Edge is a serious battery drain.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
What is the screen brightness at night like compared to the 930? Can it be set lower so as to not to light up the entire room?

Yes, it is much brighter than the 930 so I turned it down to like 20%. The migration was a breeze. I restored the 930 backup on the 950 and was ready to go after re-entering the passwords for my email accounts. Really nice!

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Haven't been to these forums for a while, which means I haven't had any issues for a while. I dropped by to see what's up, not in need of anything. Glad to see others enjoying this wonderful device.

Since the summer updates my 950 has been a stable work horse, esp. regarding Win 10 integration w my other devices, Bluetooth syncing, and taking pics and vids of a new puppy.

For the sake of the discontented, I'll add only complaint being that when streaming on wifi, if I move out of range the stream cuts as it switches to cellular. I only stream some radio programs using iHeart, so dunno if this would happen in other cases. .

Honestly, this is a great phone and OS.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

I think 1.25 days is relatively easy to achieve just by being judicious (turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not needed, setting some apps to "never in the background," turning down brightness). 1.5 days is a stretch. Maybe on Battery Saver, which turns off a lot of notifications.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
Since I've paid less than $300 on my laptop, I find it difficult to drop more than that on a phone, especially after paying only $30 on my L640..
However, now that the wrinkles of the 950 have been straightened out, I am seriously tempted.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Greetings,
Since I've paid less than $300 on my laptop, I find it difficult to drop more than that on a phone, especially after paying only $30 on my L640..
However, now that the wrinkles of the 950 have been straightened out, I am seriously tempted.
I would say go for it. I've had mine since launch and am not disappointed paying full price with a buggy OS at launch. I guess it's been a fun ride seeing the kinks getting worked out. Now we just have to assume MS will keep their word and continue to support the OS going forward, and I have no reason not to believe them in the near future.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I've seen a couple of ads on ebay for under 300 dollars, new. You can also try to message the sellers and see if they will do it off of ebay, and save them at least 14 percent.

Sprint51

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I say buy the 950. I just bought one on Saturday to replace my 2 year old 830. I held off on the 950 due to the initial issues with the phone and software. I have been very happy with it so far and expect to use this phone for at least year. At that point the next Microsoft phone will have been out for a few months and bugs worked out. Which seems to be the history with Windows phones lately.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I've heard from others on normal release builds of Win10 that 1,5 days is pretty doable. I updated my 930 to FR 14936.1000 and the battery life is significantly better. Will update the 950 now too.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,

It's true that you don't get as much value for the dollar as a 640 for $30. But that's an unfair standard (the 950 would have to be like $70 to match that value for dollar proposition, which I don't think it going to happen any time soon).

But for $300 you're getting a hell of a phone. Think of it like getting a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a slightly better camera, but with half the apps, for $300. That's a pretty good deal!

grayskale

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
If the Anniversary Update never came out - i'd have a hard time recommending the 950 or XL... with this update - battery life issues (during idle) are resolved - its a fantastic phone - and won't explode.

City Guy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Greetings,

I posted in this thread earlier on after I had purchased my 950 to replace the iPhone 6 I was using. Another update yesterday which seems to improved the battery life again.
I simply can't say enough good things about this phone/hand-held computer. My experience has been way beyond my expectations. Not one single problem.

I simply can't believe that Microsoft is going to discontinue such an excellent device. I would totally recommend the Lumia 950 to anyone who considering buying one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99