Lumia 650 owners I need your attention ! (Action center lag issue?)

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello L650 owners !

The only thing that destroy my smooth experience with this beautiful phone is the lagging/stuttering action centre. I cant be the only one so I am asking you if you experience the same. It happens on start screen especially when you have some notifications. I noticed that if you swipe down the action centre while you have some app opened it is smooth. You can try it for yourself. I have a video when I tried to demonstrate it but I am not sure if it can be seen properly, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44N1xRRp9r4

If there are more people experiecing it we can try to solve it by submitting it to feedback hub and upvote it.

Thanks for your attention

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have experienced what you are talking about also. Sometimes it is smooth and other times it lags. Maybe it has something to do with the snapdragon 212 processor the 650 has ?

The 650 is an excellent budget phone "that just works" and is now getting the long overdue double tap to wake feature which will make an already good device even better.

Thank you Microsoft.

Last edited:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I also noticed that the action center lags a little on my Alcatel Fierce XL also. That phone has a 210 processor. So I would guess it is the lower processors in these phones.

My 640XL is noticeably smoother with swiping down the action center every time. The 640 has a SD 400 processor that is a little faster overall than the 210 and 212.

The minor lag doesn't ruin my experience with the 650s performance. We have to remember these are budget devices and we are not going to get the performance of a mid/flagship model, but we still get very good performance nonetheless .

So enjoy your 650s folks! They may not be Lumia flagships but they certainly look and feel better than the flagships Imo .

Last edited:

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have experienced what you are talking about also. Sometimes it is smooth and other times it lags. Maybe it has something to do with the snapdragon 212 processor the 650 has ?

The 650 is an excellent budget phone "that just works" and is now getting the long overdue double tap to wake feature which will make an already good device even better.

Thank you Microsoft.

Yes maybe it is due to weak processor. But maybe its fixable and it is worth a shot. Especially makes me think its fixable because it is smooth in some situations. Try open FB app for example and while waiting for it to open play with the action center and swipe it down, youll notice much more smoothness.

awesome777

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Blade800
Hello L650 owners !

The only thing that destroy my smooth experience with this beautiful phone is the lagging/stuttering action centre. I cant be the only one so I am asking you if you experience the same. It happens on start screen especially when you have some notifications. I noticed that if you swipe down the action centre while you have some app opened it is smooth. You can try it for yourself. I have a video when I tried to demonstrate it but I am not sure if it can be seen properly, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44N1xRRp9r4

If there are more people experiecing it we can try to solve it by submitting it to feedback hub and upvote it.

Thanks for your attention

It's true. The only way I can see this being fixed is by a firmware update, as it, like you said, it works fine in apps, just not when a notification appears on the home screen. The new one might fix it, so fingers crossed.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It's true. The only way I can see this being fixed is by a firmware update, as it, like you said, it works fine in apps, just not when a notification appears on the home screen. The new one might fix it, so fingers crossed.

Yes I am also waiting for the new firmware update to see if it improves. If not I will submit it to feedback hub.

billyboydoy

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site

Thank you Microsoft.

sorry but you mentioned something about double tap to wake ?!!!
how do you do that on lumi 650 ???
i would be happy to knwo .
thanks

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by billyboydoy
Originally Posted by patcherd

Thank you Microsoft.

sorry but you mentioned something about double tap to wake ?!!!
how do you do that on lumi 650 ???
i would be happy to knwo .
thanks

A firmware update is rolling out currently to the Lumia 650 in order to enable the feature. Currently its only available via Windows Device Recovery Tool, and also its only available for some dual-SIM variants'.

On the stuttering action centre issue. This is unlikely to be resolved by a firmware update, as its due to the Adreno 304 GPU struggling to cope with tile animations and the pull down animation simultaneously. The pull down animation is only smooth if its pulled down over something static (like an app screen).

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
that i believe is not a lag and is fairly normal , as the same happens on my 730 which of course has a better SOC than 650.

i have no reasons to believe why you should worry about it.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
On the stuttering action centre issue. This is unlikely to be resolved by a firmware update, as its due to the Adreno 304 GPU struggling to cope with tile animations and the pull down animation simultaneously. The pull down animation is only smooth if its pulled down over something static (like an app screen).

Well thats not good news. If it cant handle simple Action centre like this, what will happen if MS decides to go with transparent stuff etc. in future ?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Blade800
Originally Posted by chancooluk

Well thats not good news. If it cant handle simple Action centre like this, what will happen if MS decides to go with transparent stuff etc. in future ?

My assumption would be that the SD200 and SD400 series will miss out on any transparency effects, or they will be paired down compared to better SOC's.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to see any lag or stutter in the action center. Maybe it's your camera or angle of view, the only thing I see in your video that I do not see in my 650 is when you bring down the action center your screen washes out rather then dims the further down the screen you go.

My 650 reacts much the same as my 640 XL, as they are both on OS Build 10.01.14393 .189, are you updated??

Is something running in the background that could cause you a lag issue?

I am scratching my head trying to bog mine down.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I tested mine again after the .189 update and the action center works smoothly enough. The action center pulls down quickly and smoothly with applications open in the background.

I tested my 640 XL again to see if there was a noticeable difference in the action center swiping and the 640 and 650 performance is nearly the same.

Now just waiting on the 650 to get the OTA double tap to wake. My 640 now sits largely in my drawer as a backup.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I put the new firmware in my 650 with WDRT. Action center was smooth before and is smooth now as always.

SD212 is a little faster than SD400, the real difference is the low battery usage and firmware support

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes I am also waiting for the new firmware update to see if it improves. If not I will submit it to feedback hub.

Well, as I already have the new firmware, I can assure you that it won't improve the performance of an action center..
I'm afraid that as chancooluk said, Adreno 304 is here to blame. Start screen has a lot of animations going on, which gpu cannot handle smoothly. Maybe one can try what will happen, when you reduce the number of tiles on start screen. At least in theory, it should improve the performance..

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Looks fine to me lol

Yeah pretty hard to see on video, but can be seen at the end.

This won't help at all, but nice Start layout!

Thanks ! Not actual tho :p

Well, as I already have the new firmware, I can assure you that it won't improve the performance of an action center..
I'm afraid that as chancooluk said, Adreno 304 is here to blame. Start screen has a lot of animations going on, which gpu cannot handle smoothly. Maybe one can try what will happen, when you reduce the number of tiles on start screen. At least in theory, it should improve the performance..

Thats what I was worried about the most, that its caused because of weak GPU.

But I played around a little bit and find out that if you change text size and restart the phone it is much smoother. You can try for yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb