Very Concerned Lumia 950 User

Mark LaPointe1

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I have been accused of being a Microsoft ****** in the past having never owned an Apple product and having used Windows phones since Windows mobile in 2005. But I have never had more issues with a phone than the Lumia 950 which is still under warranty at ATT and largely unsupported by either them or Microsoft. I am on my third 950 in eight months. The last one would never download the anniversary update and became completely unstable. I received a replacement (number three) last Friday. This one drops calls to reboot five or six times a day although today is has behaved ok. I am worried though regarding the long term support of this phone or windows phone in general. In four months my warranty will be up and I am stuck in my contract for another year after that. I really concerned that I am going to be underwater on this phone. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The only time I really experienced instability issues was when I was using the early RS previews. After opting out of Insider Builds and doing a hard reset on the AU, the phone has been great. Haven't really noticed any difference since the firmware update other than DTTW. Didn't have any freezing or resetting issues before it, nor after it.

I'm getting a bit concerned for the future, though, as far as what kind of WM phones will be available. I have an Android phone that I use to mobile deposit checks and my girlfriend uses only Apple. W10M as an OS, in my opinion, is light years ahead of iOS and Android. "Lack" of apps is a non issue for me (except for banking, but totally not worth switching just for that). It will, however, be a problem if there are no Windows phones to purchase in the future.

I still have faith that MS's vision of W10 will come through. W10 itself is a phenomenal OS, and UWP just makes so much sense for developers.

Remember that not too long ago, Apple was on the verge of non-existence.

That got quite a bit off topic. To answer your question: keep trying, I promise good L950s do exist.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
ok have you tried:
1: A hard reset?
2: recovering using WDRT and then a hard reset?
3: Asked for a new sim card?

I have been on Windows devices since the Original Samsung Blackack. The only phone that ever gave me ANY issue was the HTC Titan (WP7) which after 4 exchanges I demanded a lemon exchange and got a Lumia 900.

Now my 950, which I ordered the moment they were available on AT&T, is still going strong. I did have wifi/BT issues, but they were fixed with this week's update AND a hard reset after. Now I have used Android AND IOS devices for work (and MANY more over the years) and just like every other phone I have used, sometimes a hard reset will fix my problems. Rarely would I ever have to do a warranty exchange (1 iPhone and the mentioned HTC titan)

Having to exchange 3 times is strange, but possible. Granted, you only mentioned swapping the device and not much else, if anything else, was done. Everyday, phone troubleshooting gets closer and closer to PC troubleshooting, and well, sometimes a good format works wonders.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
3 devices with issues? That's either super bad luck or something you are doing is causing these issues. Are you restoring a backup when you get these new units? I would start fresh. You never know the backup could be the cause of issues. It shouldn't be but i've learned otherwise at this point in the windows 10 game.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Listen to all the advices above. They're actually very helpful, ESPECIALLY the part regarding restoring from a backup.

If your previous phone is faulty, and you made a backup from that phone before exchanging it with a newer one, DO NOT RESTORE THE OLD PHONE'S BACK UP ON THE NEW ONE. Doing this increases the chances of thhe previous phone's faultiness recurring on your new phone by 99%.

If you got a new phone, never, I repeat, NEVER restore from a back up from an older phone, unless you're only restoring app back up's created specifically by an app, such as message back up by WhatsApp.

ninefivezero

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
"I have been accused of being a Microsoft ****** in the past having never owned an Apple product and having used Windows phones since Windows mobile in 2005. But I have never had more issues with a phone than the Lumia 950 which is still under warranty at ATT and largely unsupported by either them or Microsoft. I am on my third 950 in eight months. The last one would never download the anniversary update and became completely unstable. I received a replacement (number three) last Friday. This one drops calls to reboot five or six times a day although today is has behaved ok. I am worried though regarding the long term support of this phone or windows phone in general. In four months my warranty will be up and I am stuck in my contract for another year after that. I really concerned that I am going to be underwater on this phone. Has anyone else experienced these issues? "

Same problems here. Increasing number of sudden reboots in the last week or two, during calls and other activities. Recently the phone has been unable to fully charge. When soft reseting, shows 100 % if connected to charger. When unplugged from charger, the battery meter changes immediately to 33 %. This started after installing lates firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa